Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
water snakes
Quote | Reply
Did an OWS at a state park today where I had to get permit from the park ranger to swim outside of the designated area. While signing off on the paperwork, I asked him what critters were in the water. SNAKES! Apparently they are just water snakes and their bite is not venomous -- require an antibiotic shot at the hospital, though. He says the lake is "filled" with them and people do get bit.

I spent most of my swim bobbing around trying to splash and scare off snakes -- note: I didn't actually see any snakes. Even though there was a massive current in the middle of the cove I was too scared to swim in the calmer (warmer) waters near the shore. My husband was canoing next to me and I kept stopping to ask him, "see any snakes?" I managed to get a couple of miles in, but I was a nut case the whole time.

Who else swims in snake-riddled lakes? Any advice/experience/anecdotes?
Quote Reply
Re: water snakes [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cannot believe you went in that water after hearing that!! OMG!! I wouldn't even get in the canoe if I had hear that. You are one brave woman!!

Quote Reply
Re: water snakes [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMG! I've seen some water snakes, but nothing that size. Jesus... that freaks me out. Note to self: do not swim in lakes with water snakes. Shakin in my boots!

Quote | Reply
They're quite common, even in Ontario. I was scuba diving on an off shore Lake Ontario wreck in Kingston and when I ascended to the surface, had one swim right in front of my mask as I came to the surface. They can get quite large and this guy made me jump as it was something totally unexpected. I've been told they can grow up to six feet long, if this is the same species.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh my god, I'm going to have nightmares. There's no way I would've even put my big toe in the water if snakes were prevalent. You are tough!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I'm going swimming in the lake tomorrow morning. Shit, now I'm going to think every weed is a snake!!!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>Who else swims in snake-riddled lakes?<<

HELL NO!

Why would you do that when there is a nice pool available?

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are the bravest person ever. A few years ago, I went camping along the Delaware River in Pennsylvania. It had a pretty decent current so I was doing an open-water Endless Pool workout while my sister and some friends were splashing around in the river. Suddenly, I hear my sister say "Oh look, a snake!" from a spot in the middle of the river upstream from me. I flipped out and you couldn't have made me go back in that water for anything. I had no idea that there were water snakes outside of the water moccasins in the South.

I already think every tree branch and weed in the water is a snake, so I've got that going for me. :-D

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Squesen, you MUST tell us what part of the country you are posting from. So at least if we are not near you we will feel safe.

I live on a lake in NJ. I have seen a small snake in there a couple of times, always close to shore. I jump off my dock and avoid the shoreline and always felt OK, never thought the little one might be a baby and grow big and come get me.

Dang -- that is a horrifying thought. And the worst part is...I am not so afraid of snake bites (or jellyfish stings) themselves (I mean how much worse can it hurt than a bike ding or whatever) . It is the ICK factor that bothers me.

Also, I always assumed that swimming with a large, noisy group of people would make the snakes go away. Any empowering info would be helpful. Thanx

(PS, many extra points for copmleting the workout after the major buzzkill of finding out you had company.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote Reply
Re: water snakes [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure. I live in Pittsburgh, PA. And I was swimming in Lake Arthur at Moraine State Park, about 45 min North of the city -- Southwestern PA.

Unfortunately, a pool is not like open water. 1) the lake was cold (58 degrees F). 2) I had to sight (and snake sight!). 3) there was a massive current. Swimming in my nice warm pool following the line does not cut it.

The snakes thing is rough. I am glad I posted this AFTER I swam because you guys have officially scared the crap out of me worse than that park ranger did!!!

Sarah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At an OW swim race last year - we were all lined up to dive in, I looked down and there was a snake "swimming" right toward me. The RD scooped it up in a net, tossed it aside, we were in the water a minute later. I think it unnerved everyone a little, but after a couple minutes into the race I forgot about it.

only time I have ever seen one, and I'd forgotten about it until you brought this up. Now I know what will be on my mind when I get in that lake next week!!! THANKS!!!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: water snakes [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! That's a scary looking snake! Are most water snakes poisonous? I never think about them when I hit the lakes, but now I will. I think I need to do some research locally, or maybe its better to not know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>1) the lake was cold (58 degrees F).<<

Well, that's reason to not get in right there!

clm, warm water swimmer only

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: water snakes [cstine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My husband said we don't have them here in the Northwest and I've chosen to believe him. If anyone knows differently, keep it to yourself.

:-)

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: water snakes [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My husband said we don't have them here in the Northwest and I've chosen to believe him. If anyone knows differently, keep it to yourself.

:-)
I'm keeping it to myself! :P Though I can't say for sure that it was a water snake - it might have just been a regular snake at the water.

Quote | Reply
*fingers in my ears* LA LA LA LA LA LA .....I can't hear you!!!

Jen

Quote Reply
Re: water snakes [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell your husband thank you! I will also choose to believe his obvious expertise in this matter...

M

Quote Reply
Re: water snakes [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, so I googled poisonous water snakes, and apparently there is only one in the US:
http://www.wf.net/~snake/moccasin.htm

and they are mainly in the southeastern part of the US (I feel safer now)
http://nationalzoo.si.edu/...eets/Cottonmouth.cfm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
ok, so I googled poisonous water snakes, and apparently there is only one in the US:
http://www.wf.net/~snake/moccasin.htm

and they are mainly in the southeastern part of the US (I feel safer now)
http://nationalzoo.si.edu/...eets/Cottonmouth.cfm
suckers!

I think we need to delete this thread all together... every time I open it I see that pic and "I hate snakes"!

Quote | Reply
"clm, warm water swimmer only"

But snakes get smaller in cold water.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who else swims in snake-riddled lakes?

NO F-ING WAY!!! OMG you are one brave girl. There is no way I would get in a lake after the park ranger told me it was filled with snakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The snakes in this lake are not poisonous. They bite, and the bite requires an antibiotic shot from a doc, but they won't kill you. Park ranger "reassured" me of this. Only in the South where we have water mocs are they venomous.

I am originally from FL. Usually in the same bodies of water as the snakes are the gators (lakes and rivers). So I never worried too much about snakes, given that I was terrified of gators. When swimming at the beach, I was worried about rays and sharks.

The totally sick thing is I am planning another swim at this same park later this summer. I am thinking of doing the "little red lighthouse" swim in the Hudson River in September (5.85 mi) so I'll need some OWS time for sure. Who wants to join me? If there is a snake and more than one swimmer, the probability of my getting bit goes down. :)

WTF is there in the Hudson River? Actually, you know what, don't tell me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I suppose if forced to choose between what's more scary to swim with gators vs snakes, I'd go with gators as well. (But since the only way I'm swimming in water that has a remote possibility of either is highly improbable, it's a moot point... )

The stuff in the Hudson is really more gross than scary. Well, I suppose the list of potential long-term side effects of swimming in the Hudson for five miles would be pretty scary, but you'll probably get some cool superpowers out of it - so you've got that going for you! ;-P (And you REALLY don't want to know what's in that water, you might consider lying about a snake bite from your lake just to get the extra antibiotics.)

M

Quote Reply
Re: water snakes [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I used to live in Manhattan. I kinda "know" what's in that water. Good call on the antibiotics.

The Manhattan Island Foundation does a number of OWS, including a marathon swim around the whole island. That has got to be some serious sh*t -- pun intended.
Quote Reply
Re: water snakes [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gee thanks. i was always afraid of snakes in the water before, now i an terrified.
I live in SOUTHEAST TEXAS where these snakes live.
was an interesting article though. glad that my open water race is in Northern Louisiana in a lake on Sunday.
jana

http://www.triontherunfitness.com
http://www.triontherun.com
http://www.ontheruntx.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next