Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

types of goggles
Quote | Reply
There are all types of swimming goggles out there, but none of them really tell you what the difference or benefit is. Can someone help explain the differences to me? I am from a non-swimming background. Which type are best for ow swims? Some of the types I've seen are mirrored, metallic, racer, etc. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: types of goggles [nutty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As one of the fishies on this board the biggest thing you have to look for in goggles is a pair that is comfy to wear and don't leak. Truly it's not worth worrying about all the benefits (or supposed benefits) of different types of goggles unless you're a competative swimmer.

That being said, mirrored or metallic goggles are great if you're going to be doing a lot of races/ow swims where the sun may be an issue. The downside is that metallic/mirrored can make it hard to see in your normal every-day pool. I have a pair of "normal every-day" googles but also have a pair of metallic/mirrored ones that I trust (ie - I know that they're not going to leak and are comfortable) and bring with me to races in case I need them depending on how the swim course is laid out and how the sun is rising. If you're going to go that route I think it's important to carry both types with you as you never know what conditions will be on any given day. Case in point, my IM last year had smoke issues from nearby wildfires so I went with the normal everyday goggles since the smoke was thick enough to block out the sun and the metallic goggles would have made it hard to spot.

With regards to comfiness it'll most likely come down to how much padding the goggles provide and how much you like and if the nosepiece is adjustable or whether a standard nosepiece fits your face without a problem. I have always raced (tris and swim) in swedish goggles since the nose piece can be completely adjusted. However, the lack of any type of padding around the eye makes it REALLY hurt when someone accidentally kicks you in the eye!

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love TYR socket rockets, and I have two pairs: one tinted/metallic for OWS, one regular for indoor pool swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyones nose and facial features are different so recommendations really don't help. Just know all goggles fog to some degree so it really just comes down to fit. The best way to figure this out is to put on a pair in a store WITHOUT the strap. What I mean is to gently push the goggles into your eye sockets and if there is suction, then they should work well. Also note the nose piece, it shouldn't be snug at all. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Color-wise I like an amber metallic goggle for outdoor swimming. The ones I have now seem to handle both low and high light conditions well.

As for fit, my local tri and swim shop has a big milk crate of samples of different goggle types they carry. You go through the bin looking for goggles that you can feel seal around your eyes when you press down without having the strap around your head.

I'm a swedes (no gasket on the goggle) fan. They're going to hurt more if you get kicked in the face, but I've played rec water polo long enough with them on to learn how to protect my head and face from blows very very well.
Quote Reply
Re: types of goggles [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife uses the Aqua Sphere Kaiman Small, Amber lens. She loves them for her smaller face. No leaks and easy to adjust.
Quote Reply
Re: types of goggles [runido] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info!
Quote Reply