Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tri bike and commuter bike?
Quote | Reply
My wife is looking to buy a bike and just signed up for her first triathlons - a (hilly, difficult) sprint in June and the Nations (DC) in September - and she's also a bike commuter/city biker. We live in a small apartment in the city and don't have room or money for her to have a commuter bike and a tri bike. So she's looking for a bike to serve both purposes. I know this is a toughie but does anyone have suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: tri bike and commuter bike? [wreckfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does it have to be a tri bike?
I've done tris (sprint to IM distance) for years, all on a Cannondale road bike...and commute to work on it.
Quote Reply
Re: tri bike and commuter bike? [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, it doesn't have to be a tri bike at all. I'm looking for suggestions on what kind of bike can fill both needs and a road bike is the likely answer. But there are so many different kinds of bikes that I'm wondering if there's something out there I might be missing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest buying a 'cross bike with some relatively light wheels. In the winter, when it is icy and rainy, you can put cross tires and fenders on the bike and she'll be happy in crappy weather conditions. In the summer for racing, put slicks and slap on a pair of aerobars. Best of both worlds. If I only could have one bike it would be a 'cross bike; you can do just about anything with it- trails, commuting, road racing, triathlon racing, grocery shopping, hook a trailer to it and ride across the country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the cross bike. Was going to mention it before I even saw the post from above. It's a tough bike that can handle everyday commuting abuse. Put some slicks on it for racing and you are good to go. I have set many customers up on cross bikes who do a few races a year and really love it.

Scott McNamee
Cranks Bicycle Shoppe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 'cross bike is a great recommendation. I wouldn't even bother with clip on shorty bars - just the standard drop bars will be plenty fine. Not necessary but as a "nice to have", you might look into a second pair of wheels so that she doesn't have to change tyres all the time from the big fat tough commuting tyres to nicer rolling racing rubber. They don't need to be fancy "race wheels" - it's just much easier and faster to change wheels than tyres.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: tri bike and commuter bike? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Crossbike. Can't go wrong with one of those for a all purpose bike.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: tri bike and commuter bike? [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for all the advice! Here's the result: the cyclocross bikes all rode very nicely and were probably the best choice but they were also above her budget. Road bikes were a lot more affordable and will get her 90% or more of what she wants and needs so she got a Specialized Dolce for $900. That left enough money for a pair of really good tires, wheel locks, a top-notch lock (we live in the heart of the city), and pedals and shoes. She decided to put up with the bumps of an aluminum frame but the carbon fork will help.
Quote Reply