Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

training after baby
Quote | Reply
Hello Ladies:

First let me say that I am due near the end of November and haven't been able to keep up with my riding and now my running for months. SO..
Just wondering if you think it's unrealistic to want to do a half marathon in May and half iron in June.
Opinions??
Lana
Last edited by: tri_2005: Oct 14, 10 9:53
Quote Reply
Re: training after baby [tri_2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, let me start this with saying I have never been pregnant, so I may not know what I'm talking about.

I think this all boils down to your fitness prior to the pregnancy. What were your long runs like before you stopped running? Or, before you started cutting down your long runs? And how long ago did you cut them down/out?

Have you been doing anything to stay fit/strong? Walking, swimming, etc?

And, most importantly, will your spouse/significant other be supportive of you taking the time to train?

I think you're not able to dive right back into training immediately after giving birth. It takes your body awhile to recover from that. Check with your doctor on this, but I'd guess you wouldn't be cleared to run until January. With that said, if you're going into this birth pretty healthy, I think there is no reason at all why you couldn't complete a half marathon by Spring.

As for doing the half ironman - I would give yourself more time. I'm assuming you have at least one of these under your belt already? If not, I'd say no. Remember, the baby is going to be wrecking your sleep, and you're going to be a walking zombie for quite a few months. Now, I've only done one half ironman, so I'm by no means an expert on that either, but by the end of my training, I was averaging 10 hrs of training a week (while working full time), and that made me a walking zombie. I can't imagine doing that while also trying to juggle middle-of-the-night feedings, diaper changings, and all of the other work associated with a newborn. If you've already done a HIM though, I'd say its not unrealistic to think to do a later-season one -- August or September, maybe.

But again, I'm not an expert on any of this -- no kids, just a couple of cats and a husband to take care of, and only one HIM under my belt.

I am curious to hear what you end up doing though, and how it works out!
Quote Reply
Re: training after baby [redmeeple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good answers right there. Every case is unique, and you have no idea what will happen.

There are lots and lots (I mean lots!) of posts and replies on this topic, you might want to search the forum and read some of those other threads...

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HI LANA!

I remember you from swim challenges. No advice on the preggo eggo though

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: training after baby [redmeeple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the questions I will do my best to answer them. First it's not like I'm some crazy all star athlete but I love it !!
Before knowing I was pregnant I was running 3-4 times a week with my longest run being 2.5-3 hours and shortest at 45 minutes (lunch runs). Cycling wasn't high on the priority list at the time as I was working on doing more trail runs. Swimming has never been an issue.

Now, I go for atleast two hours of walking a day and have still been swimming laps twice a week until about two weeks ago. My swimsuit isn't fitting so well anymore and I really don't want to go get another. I'm still eating well with very minimal crap.

My husband is super supportive of what I want to accomplish and understands and he actually has recognized that I need to work out to keep my mood more..um...pleasant..lol

As for races in the past. I've done 5 halfs and 3 full ironmans and countless half marathons and 4 stand alone marathons (3 for sure).

Guess I will have to wait and see what the baby does to the body.

TC!!!!!!
HI!!!!! :) I loved the swim challenges. Just really don't have the ability to swim to far right now! New year and I will be in. The pool has child care :)

Lana

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's totally doable if you want to do it! I had a daughter about 2 years ago... ran a good 1/2 marathon 3 months after I delivered, and a PR 1/2 IM when she was 7 months old. Totally doable. :)
Quote Reply
Re: training after baby [balikai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My slow twitch name doesn't lend me to giving great advice in this department but my wife did run Boston 6 months after our son was born. Obviously, it wasn't a PR but it was her most memorable race because of the situation. You're about to have a child......you can do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: training after baby [balikai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for words. It is nice to hear someone did races soon after havin the baby.

Lana
Quote Reply
Re: training after baby [maverick04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the encouragement.

Lana
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just another thing to consider...

It all comes down to what you expect from yourself on race day? Are you okay with just going out and enjoying the day? Or will you be upset if you don't PR?

For me, personally, with a several marathoning background, an IM, a bunch of 70.3's, etc and due in April, I am planning on taking it easy and enjoying the time "off". I plan on getting back into it all as soon as I can but am only putting a sprint or an olympic on my calendar for 2011. For me (and everyone is different!) I know I would be disappointed in myself if I sucked wind at a 70.3 and didn't do as well as I have in the past...I've decided that I would rather do a sprint/olympic and do well (it's all relative)...so that's my plan.

I think it will ultimately come down to how you feel, how your labor and delivery go, how your baby is and what you feel like you can do. There is no way to anticipate how you may feel after your bundle of joy gets here!! I just have to keep reminding myself that I do this because I love it...it's not a job. Sometimes it's easy to forget that taking some time off is okay.

Who knows though, I may get antsy and do a fall half...it all depends on Cletus the Fetus!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are you?

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go check my other posts... just did NYC marathon, my baby is 3 months old...
Quote Reply
Re: training after baby [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm really good thanks. T -8 days until due date. I'm hoping it is early though. Found out on Wednesday that the baby is about 9 lbs. I kind of find that hard to believe since I've just gained only 21.4 lbs. So hopefully it won't be to tough.

How are you doing? Swim challenge going well? I've still been swimming but slowly and I really just like floating in the shallow end right now.

Have a great night.

Lana
Quote Reply
Re: training after baby [IMV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to head to your other posts. That is great that you did the marathon 3 months after baby!!

Lana

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lana, your due date must be approaching soon. Congrats! Your life is about to change in a most dramatic way and exercise can be a wonderful way to keep in touch with yourself. I had my son just over a year ago and really enjoyed getting back to exercise once I recovered from the emergency c section. My advice to you is to not pressure yourself into anything. Get back at it when it works best for you but don't rush into it if you are tired or need more time to adjust. You have the rest of your life to participate in events.

Enjoy the post baby hormones! I used to get runner's high just pushing the stroller at a fast pace.

Cheers and happy birthday soon to baby!
Quote Reply
Re: training after baby [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T- 4 days...not soon enough! :)

Lana
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Thinking of you!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I'm at T + 3 days. If nothing happens they are going to induce me on the first. So I've been doing lots of walking and even shoveled the sidewalks today. Something has to happen soon, right?

As far as races. I've signed up for the Axel Merckx granfond in July and a halfiron in June. I will just have to see how it all goes.

Have a great day everyone.

Lana

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck and fingers crossed you don't get induced! I wish my little spud had been more eager to get out but alas, no dice - 3 days of yuck. ;-)

re: 1/2IM -> Oliver?

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: training after baby [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes Oliver. i really like the race.

Lana

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good to hear from you; hope the baby comes on his/her own soon.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me too, just not the overcrowded swim ;-)

go eat some spicy food or shovel the driveway ;-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: training after baby [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually did that last night. No more snow out here in Langley on the side walks. I was waiting for someone to come out of the building we live in and give me trouble for shoveling. But I actually like shovelling the snow. It's peaceful and a pretty good work out.
It's looking like I will be induced on Wednesday. So here's hoping this weekend something happens. We are going to go and walk around the christmas market out in Abbotsford.

Lana

Quote Reply