Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
too senstive about comments about my food?
Quote | Reply
It happened again. So its 10am, Ive been up since 5, ran and lifted wieghts, so I am hungry. Was so looking forward to my sushi-which does not smell offensive and I am in my own cube.
The nosy and very large I might add, approx 250, came by, and said I quote: "OMG how could you!"
I really did not know what she was talking about so I sais 'what? do what?"
she said: "sushi in the morning---how could you. Make me gag. That is disgusting"
I really did not know what to say. I said, well I have been up early its my lunchtime.
I think its really rude to point out others peoples food like that. And I guaratnee you she must be eating a lot of stuff that would make me gag but I would not say anything.
I let things get to me too much sometimes but I thought this was rude. She also says things like, you always eat salad, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: too senstive about comments about my food? [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have said, F- off! And then given her the stink- eye.

You should calmly and nicely ask her, "Why are you so concerned with what and when I eat?". Then say nothing else.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I get the same thing. Co-workers will complain that they're over weight and don't know why. When I offer my experience with diet and exercise, the reply is "Well I have a weight problem. You don't have a weight problem!" Well, yeah, I don't have a weight problem because I'm active and eat right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While it's annoying, I don't think it was anything personal.

For some people, 10:30 is still morning, and I think it would be a pretty common reaction. Imagine eating the sushi for *your* breakfast at 5. I don't know, maybe you're good with that, but I couldn't eat sushi for breakfast, even though I love it.

I'm with you on sensitivity to comments about food, but I don't think it was a personal attack. I think I might have said something like, 'since I've been up since 5, this is my lunch'. She might be even more freaked out that you got up at 5 :)
Quote Reply
Re: too senstive about comments about my food? [Elsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually I could eat it at 5am! but I did say somehting like this is my lunch (well, my first one!) still she went on and on that it was gross. Oh well. Some days it just bothers me more than others and I like to think I am easy going!
But in general I take a lot of criticism and comments about what and how much I eat. I am sure I have ranted about this before here, sorry!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have said "I think your breakfast of pop tarts and corn pops is gross too. HA HA" all passive aggressively.

I could eat sushi any time of day! This person would be really grossed out by a traditional japanese breakfast. I do think it's rude to say someone else's food is gross especially while they're eating it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get that a lot - either a comment about what I'm eating or that I'm "eating - again!?!"

FWIW I would eat sushi anytime of day...mmm!

All you can do with people like that who make comments like that is shrug your shoulders and ignore them. I guarantee if you had just turned back to your computer and ignored her completely, she'd get the hint and walk away. She might go yap to other co-workers about your gross breakfast and/or your rude behaviour (by her standards), but I bet even they would think it's no big deal.

Sometimes there's nothing to gain by trying to be polite (hate to say it).

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A.) Yes, you are being too sensitive if it bothers you.
B.) I'd laugh and tell her you've already been up since 5 and done xx so for you, this is lunch! That should shut her up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do like the F--- off response....but then again that probably wouldn't really help in the long run.

I think most people comment on my food choices at work because they are actually jealous and
know that I work my ass off to stay in shape and wish that they had the same determination.

It ain't easy!

*Anne*
Quote Reply
Re: too senstive about comments about my food? [reefmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like a lot of these responses too-but pissing off the senior VPs admin likely not a good move!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's "what I'd like to say", and then "what I probably would say, given that I'm at work" - and they're rarely the same thing. :p

What I'd like to say: "given your figure, I'd hardly think that any sort of food would make you gag..."

What I'd likely say: "meh - it works for me..."

As far as being too sensitive, odds are that she's just upset that she's huge and that you're "eating again..."

Tomorrow try a nice vindaloo or maybe some lamb chops!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: too senstive about comments about my food? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tomorrow try a nice vindaloo or maybe some lamb chops!

Damn - thanks to you, now I'm hungry!

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny! I was thinking some Indian for tomorrow...I know she'd come over to see what I was eating and comment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you should start a log book. Each day you could document what you eat, and what she says. Might prove interesting...

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should have started this months ago. She comments on everything but today when she was in my face saying the food I was eating made her want to gag, that was enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me, all that means is that it's time to raise your game. You need to start bringing weirder and more "ethnic" foods. Draw the line wherever you see fit (balut?); but this is a brilliant opportunity to push the boundaries and drive an annoying person absolutely insane! :D

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use to work with people like this woman. They constantly commented..."Are you eating AGAIN?" when I was hungry after a 5 am workout, etc. I would just say..."Funny how some of us who EXERCISE are hungry alot of the time".

I think she is probably rather envious of your physique. Usually (but not always) women like that are secretly envious of physically fit women.....

I too believe what she said is extremely rude. To comment on what someone is eating (unless it is a comment like: "Looks good!:) is rude....

KK
Quote Reply
Re: too senstive about comments about my food? [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x n

insecurity, jealousy, whatever on her part.

Can you think of it that it's not about YOU, it's about HER?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
right, its about her not me...have to remind myself.

But tomorrow I am doing a medium long run before work and I have some homemade vindaloo in the freezer....hmmm....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So funny! Is she fat? I like the idea of you upping your game and going ethnic on her. It is a matter of culture what we eat, and what we eat for breakfast.

Don't sweat it. I get lots of food comments, too, because I eat a lot and like pretty much everything. There are certain people I try to egg on to make comments now, and most of the comments stem from their being jealous that i can eat what I want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can always mess with her and say "didn't you know eating sushi before 12:00 increases your metabolism by 20% for the rest of the day?" :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have some homemade vindaloo in the freezer....hmmm....

I know I'm not R10C, but Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?

:D

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: too senstive about comments about my food? [Tri Run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can always mess with her and say "didn't you know eating sushi before 12:00 increases your metabolism by 20% for the rest of the day?" :)

I like this tactic.
Quote Reply
Re: too senstive about comments about my food? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will try that. And Khai, when she smelled the vindaloo I heard her exclaim "what is that I am smelling!?" not sure if it was in a good or bad way, she did not haul herself out of her chair to investigate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I can understand her complaining if there are food smells in the working area. We have a lunchroom and I don't want to smell anyone's food when I'm trying to work.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next