Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
today is my last day..
Quote | Reply
..as a smoker.

tomorrow will be the last morning that i wake up feel the weight in my lungs.

i am sick of being controlled by an addiction, and i refuse to let it continue to overrule my better sense.

it will not be easy, and i will have to use every last ounce of willpower i have to remove this monster in my life, but..

I WILL DEFEAT IT, because i am stronger than a substance!

wish me luck and strength..

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Congrats! What is your quit plan?
Quote Reply
Re: today is my last day.. [spacebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
having used nicotine replacement therapy in the past, i don't believe it to be effective. i need to get the crap out of my system, not just change the delivery method.

the plan is cold turkey, keeping busy, determination and support - tanker and i are doing this together. we're both sick of it, we've talked about why we have reverted to smoking in the past, and we're going to try to keep in mind that anger is the addiction talking, not us actually wanting to kill each other ;) we've also discussed that the words "i want a smoke" are strictly off-limits!

i am MUCH stronger mentally than i was the last time i quit (2004), and i will be focusing on the positives: how far i have made it without a smoke at the time of a craving, how much better i will feel once i have conquered the habit, the money we will save, even little things like having a nice clean car and never having to clean up a spilled ashtray..

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
That's awesome. Even if you weren't successful in the past, it always teaches you something about what needs to be done differently now. If you need any help/advice, I am an addictions counsellor so ask away!
Quote Reply
Re: today is my last day.. [spacebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, i really appreciate that! i've fallen into the "just one" trap in the past, but i'm trying to keep it solidly in my mind that it isn't ONE cigarette, it's starting the whole withdrawal process over again. noone would ever think it's ok to give a junkie "just one" more hit of heroin, and i have to treat smokes the same way.

fortunately, since i don't drink anymore, one of my main triggers is gone. i will have to be vigilant of stress and anger getting the better of me, but my plan is to use diversions - go for a short walk, deep breaths, do some jumping jacks, belt out some stupid song, whatever it takes! sooner or later the cravings will fade..

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
EXCELLENT!

I look forward to your insane FB posts in the near future ;-)

Just kidding, I know you can do it!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: today is my last day.. [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks! i can virtually guarantee at least a few laughable status updates, though i make no promises about them being coherent..

i just hope none of my clients drop in unexpectedly while i'm drowning out a craving by hollering the oscar meyer weiner song in my office!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
good on ya!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: today is my last day.. [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
say hello to my little friend "obesity".
Quote Reply
Re: today is my last day.. [damien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
say hello to my little friends called "calorie tracking" and "healthy eating" - 2 habits i'm NOT quitting.

my first day as a non-smoker will actually be 2 years less 1 day after the first workout and changes in nutritional intake that led to me dropping 30lbs :)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Ignore Damien, you are going to do awesome. I used to smoke and look back on that time in my life as a huge waste. I don't have a lot of regrets but that was a big one. I hope it goes easy for you, but if it doesn't, use the womens for support. We are here for you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but still, you might wanna say "hello". Don't get caught off guard when the weight starts creeping up and to keep it down, you training performance suffers due to poor nutrition cycle etc.

be careful. I wish you well, though. I was once a smoker, worse than you. Kicked the muthafucking habit in the butt and the face, but it left me fat.
Quote Reply
Re: today is my last day.. [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for that trailbait! :)

damien, with twice-daily weigh-ins (morning weight logged daily with trend line), weekly measurements, and rather carefully calculated calorie intake (based on BMR, TDEE and calories burned per HRM plus minor adjustments for current trend), i think it's safe to say i'm on top of it. i do know to expect that my metabolism will slow a bit without the constant stimulant but i've never turned to snacking to deal with cravings when i have quit in the past. i hold out hope that not ingesting poison daily will lead to better recovery and increased training capacity, which would carry dual benefits of burning more calories and increasing performance!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Good for you! I quit 13 or 14 years ago and it was a bitch but totally worth it. I tried many many times but for some reason this one stuck.

What worked for me was changing the environment whenever I craving would hit. Get up and walk around, leave the room, whever it takes. And stay away from booze and bars!!!

If you need any help, encouragement, harassment let me know! I've been there!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just adding a post to offer my encouragement and support! You can do it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best of luck to you!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If cold turkey doesn't work I have one word for you. Zyban. I used it and it worked like a charm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did day one go?

Sending you good vibes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DON'T GIVE UP! It is worth it...

I quite smoking (maybe) 10 years ago. I do not know what the real trigger was. but I stopped cold turkey and it was very very easy for me actually. I stopped while my wife was still smoking and it did not bother me a bit.

do not know if it makes sense but: imagine all the money that went into smoke!!! so put that money you use to buy cigarettes now that you stop in a place/jar and see that money grows and go buy some nice stuff that you will actually use.

Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: today is my last day.. [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks a bunch guys! :) especially nice to hear from those who have gone through it.

it's our typical saturday morning, which usually means a few smokes before we even roll out of bed. i've had a habit-based urge to light up about every 30 seconds since i woke up, but it hasn't gotten to a real craving yet. there's definitely a sense of something missing, but nothing aggro happening...kind of liberating, actually!

jen, no worries about bars - we seldom go to them anyway, and i don't drink except on special occasions. i do agree that change of scenery is a good tool, and one i plan to use!

M~, i've thought about zyban, but i've heard some interesting side effect stories - one friend of ours had psychotic episodes from it (sitting alone in his car screaming at himself at the top of his lungs), and others have had morphia-type dreams. i've also heard about something called chantix, but don't even know if it's available in canada. i'm really going to give this an honest shot on my own first, though, because i truly believe i'm done with it. just need to get that message through to the body and subconscious now!

fred, the money is going to help pay some credit cards whose balances have crept up over the winter...which coincidentally will help reduce my stress level, and remove one more piece of the smoking trigger puzzle! i don't get to see a big jar with an ever-increasing amount of cash, but i'll get to sleep a little easier at night, which is even better :)

going to get out the door for a nice relaxing trail ride with tanker - it's a beautiful day, and while we're out on the bikes we can keep ourselves from "the bad thoughts", while getting some fresher air than we have in years!

really appreciate the support here - you guys rock!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
One thing that set me off what anger that something had absolute control over my life. It pissed me off that I was scrounging around for change to buy my next pack. I hated feeling worried when I was down to less than 5 smokes.

I used the Nicotine patch to help with the physical cravings but the habit was really tough for me.

Think about putting the cash you would spend on a pack of smokes somewhere visible, like a jar, to remind you visually how much $$ you've spent over the years. Every time you think about buying another pack, put the cash in the jar. When you would normally buy one, put the cash in the jar. After a week or two, empty it, deposit it and start over. Sometimes a physical reminder really helps.

I'm crossing my fingers for you and Tanker!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that cigarette would have tasted so good on that morning trail ride.
Quote Reply
Re: today is my last day.. [damien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jen, we'd always buy our smokes for the week at once (thursday nights when i get paid), and pay debit - so the cash was never really visible. it's not really about the money, either - i totally agree with the anger over something i can't control, though!

damien, it wouldn't have tasted like much - i've had a head cold for the last few days, and have barely even noticed when i'm smoking (can hardly taste anything at all). what i DID notice was how much easier the 9% grade hill from the end of the trail to home was this afternoon after NOT smoking all day! :)

shutting everything down for earth hour, then going for a run..

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
just think after your cold is gone, the cigarette would be a treat. early morning smoke..mmm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good work.

Ignore damien, he's an ass.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply

Prev Next