Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

time in the gym - ideas for dynamic strength workouts?
Quote | Reply
So I have been spending more time in the gym that I used to. I used to be all S/B/R. But, I'm kind of unstructured right now and finding that doing strength work really really helps me.

My background with strength training is all weight training. Pretty traditional. Lots of Olympic lifts. And most of what I know I picked up as a college athlete in the varsity weight room (think big scary men benching and squatting incredible bar-bending loads).

I see a lot of people doing workouts that are more dynamic now - stuff like cable pulls while balancing on one leg. Or squats with a medicine ball while standing on a BOSU. It makes a lot more sense to do more dynamic, functional workouts... I just don't know what to do. What I want to accomplish is better overall strength, increased core strength, and overall toning. I put on muscle really easily, so no matter what, more strength = more bulk. Which is OK. I don't care about that.

Does anyone have a great workout they can share? My gym is really really well-equipped with machines and toys... I usually have about 3-4 45-60min sessions in the gym each week.
Quote Reply
Re: time in the gym - ideas for dynamic strength workouts? [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I'm going to get back into the workouts described in Core Performance by Mark Verstegan. It combines weightlifting with stretching and lunging and using things like a physioball (sp?). Here's the book: http://www.amazon.com/...nsform/dp/157954908X I think you can find some of his workouts online if you want to check it out first.
Quote Reply
Re: time in the gym - ideas for dynamic strength workouts? [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look for Oxygen magazine. Each month it has lots of good workout suggestions.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do a 1:15 session each week at a gym that specializes in that kind of training (www.twistconditioning.com) and love it. Any traditional lifting movement that can be done on one leg, sitting on a ball, standing on a bosu, etc. will give you that dynamic multi-movement you seek.

Lat pull downs? Sit on a stability ball instead of a bench.
Squats? Seated row? Combine them to do the row while doing squats on the bosu.
Push-ups? Flip a bosu over and do them on top of the bosu. To make it harder, bosu right side-up with one hand on the bosu and one on the floor.
Lunges? Do them on or off the bosu (this one is incredibly hard). Toss in a shoulder press at the top of your step too. You can also do side-to-side for the adductors/abductors.
Sit-ups? on the stability ball or on the bosu. Add a 8lb medicine ball over your head while crunching, and keep those hips high.

I'm sure I'll think of more...

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it is great to do this type of work-balances you out and works little muscles you never thought you had. Also try plyometrics

Jolene Wilkinson
Triathlon Coaching http://www.pacificfit.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently started doing small group work with a trainer at a local gym and it's led to huge reductions in both my shoulder pain and piriformis pain, the latter having been nearly a year-long, very significant issue. We generally do circuit-type training. Our most recent workout went like this:

Set One: We started with just two people, one was doing walking lunges/squats holding a 12 pound medicine ball over her head (left foot forward, lunge, right foot forward, lunge, directly into a squat, repeat for maybe 20 yards) while the other person did pull-ups using the pull-up machine (the thing that has weights that counterbalance you so you're not pulling your entire body weight). Then we did a standing "shoulder matrix" together (holding I think an 8 lb medicine ball, legs apart, knees slightly bent, arms straight, raise both arms shoulder height in front, shoulder height to the right with your body facing forward, center, left, repeat 5 times), followed by one person sprinting around the gym while the other person did 5 fast burpees, right into repeating the whole set again but switching who sprinted vs. burpees. We did the whole set four times, with a break after round 3.

Set Two: Three people now, alternating three exercises for 45 seconds each. (1) Chest press, lying on the bench; (2) bicep curls with dumbbells while standing on the Bosu; two of us used the Bosu upside down (standing on the flat side, with the round part down; you'll likely need someone/thing to hold onto to get on and get balanced), one used the Bosu the regular way (flat side down, standing on the round part; a bit easier than the other way but still challenging); and (3) Russian twists with a 12 pound medicine ball (sitting back on your "sitz" bones leaning backwards with your core engaged, legs bent and off the ground, holding the ball at your chest, twisting from side to side trying to come close to touching the ball down on the side you're twisting to). After 45 seconds, we switched to the next exercise, and then repeated the whole set 3 times.

After that, we did some more ab works including front planks, side planks, grinders (lying down, legs and shoulders crunched off the ground, fingers touching your ears, bicycling with your legs while touching the opposite elbow to your knee), and lying toe touches (on your back, legs straight up in the air, crunching to touch your toes). All in all, I think that was a 40 minute workout followed by some stretching.

OK, I really didn't mean to write a book here. But, as long as I've gone this long, here are some other exercises we do (can't remember all their names): hamstring curls using the balance ball: lying on the ground with your feet up on the ball, pull your legs under you while pushing your hips up so your body maintains a straight line; side step with squats holding a 20 lb weight: legs together, step sideways into a squat position, squat, bring the other leg in, repeat for about ten yards, then go back the other way; side step with a tricep extension: holding a dumbbell lengthwise over your head with arms bent, elbows pointing forward, and with palms facing up on the top plate, step sideways, legs together, tricep extension with elbows staying close to your ears, repeat for about 15 yards, then go back the other way; bicep curls standing on the half-foam roller, one leg in front of the other with most of the weight on the front foot; lunges with a twist: holding a 15 lb-ish ball, lunge, twist toward the bent knee while in the lunge, stand, lunge with the other leg, repeat for 10 yards; push-ups on the Bosu (hands on the flat side, round side down, feet on the ground); tricep extensions (aka skull crusher) while lying on the ball: shoulders on the ball, legs out with bent knees and core engaged, dumbbell held lengthwise as described above. We usually do two-three resistance sets of 45 sec to 1 minute each, then some "get your heart rate up" type of thing like sprinting, jumping rope, etc, then back to the weights. It's a great workout, although it did kill my S/B/R for a couple of months. I've adapted now and even though I feel like I'm not moving in my regular workouts, I'm moving along pretty well in spite of my perceived muscle fatigue. I tend to be bulky too, and I think I have bulked up a bit more, but, at pushing 50 years old, I'm kind of proud of it. And my husband thinks I look great, muscles and all!
Quote Reply
Re: time in the gym - ideas for dynamic strength workouts? [HeidiC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome! thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An easy way to get started is to do one arm, one leg workouts or use the bosu or exercise ball for traditional weight routines you may be used to.

For example, instead of a bench press on the bench, lay on an exercise ball and use dumbbells. But only do one arm at a time. Rest the opposite hand on your waist. For quads, do a single leg squat, with one hand on waist and the other reaching down to opposite ankle.

You can apply that idea to many of the traditional weight exercises.

A key thing with this, though, is to start slow and use low weights! Don't want to injure yourself off the bat-you'll likely find that these are a lot harder than they sound.

But they work the core and help with functional/dynamic training. Will ultimately reduce injury risk (in theory).

NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine) is big into this stuff, so if you're interested in hiring a trainer to help create a program, try to find one with that certification. (although I'm sure other certification may emphasize this stuff now, as well)

Emily

------------------------------------------------------------
Bra Diva
Find a sports bra that won't let you down!
www.BraDiva.com
Quote Reply
Re: time in the gym - ideas for dynamic strength workouts? [bdiva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been working out with a trainer twice a week on strength and core and have noticed a big difference in how I feel.
Much stronger for sure..
I love the down and dirty basics like pull ups , crunches, lunges etc.
My goal is to be able to do 3 sets of 10 pull ups. I am obsessed and even bought a pull up bar for my home
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the recommendation to check out the "Core Performance" book.

The dynamic exercises in there are quite fun. And well-illustrated. You could take it to the gym with you, prop it open with a free weight and go from there.

Apparently there is also a version of the book called "Core Performance for Endurance Athletes" but I haven't seen that one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Austin - Drop me a pm, I have tons of bodyweight/dynamic workouts from martial arts, it'll just take me a bit to compile some. Let me know what you want to work on, and your "favorite" type exercises.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply