Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tigerchik need info
Quote | Reply
Tigerchik,
One of my students wants to go to college in Maine. I tried to remember which university you went to, but it has escaped me and I cannot find in by searching. She would like to Bowdoin (sp?). Do you know anything about it or the city? She wants to be an Art History Major. Any information you may have would be more than I have here.
Dan

When it's good, it's good. When it's bad, you suffer.
Dan
Quote Reply
Re: tigerchik need info [WryMouth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bowdoin was one of my top choices a LONG time ago. I don't remember much about it, but I loved that school and really wanted to go there. It just ended up being way to expensive for me.

Had a handful of high school friends who did go there, from central ohio. Visited a couple times. good times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a summer internship at Bowdoin, I wasn't a student there so I'm not an expert on the school. Brunswick is a small town, maybe a half hour drive from Portland. I felt safe there (Im from Chicago). But like everywhere else, there are some shady areas. The campus is small with older buildings (really nice pool, though!). There's Maine Street, about a mile or so from campus, with a nice grocery store that sells great organic produce. I didn't stay in the dorms, so I can't say what those are like. If she is hanging around campus, she wouldn't need a car.... unless she wanted to go to Portland or Freeport.

As a student there, she would definitely be in the college "bubble." I loved my summer there, but I had a car/bike and I was all over the place. At least she would have easy access to some great Lobster rolls and Gelato! :)

Good luck to her!!
Jen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bowdoin is a small, very selective liberal arts school. Life revolves around the college and I'm pretty sure that most students live on campus. I would compare Bowdoin to Middleburyor Williams. If she is really interested in Art History, she should look at Williams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bowdoin is awesome. Lovely pool.

(More later. I just saw this and I want to go to bed but I promise to get back to you.)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bowdoin is a beautiful school. I didn't attend, but I did a hard look and visit when applying to schools. I've visited most of the competitors too (Bates and Colby in Maine, Middlebury, Williams, Swarthmore and other top private liberal arts colleges).

It is a great school, but it's small and not well known outside of New England. An Art History degree from an unknown school may present employment problems. But, for grad school or in the area it is well-regarded.

The college is picturesque, not as remote as some other schools, and feels almost like an older prep school. Not very diverse, mostly upper middle class, private school backgrounds. Probably a lot of legacies if I had to guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here we go:

Bowdoin is a very beautiful and very good school. A friend of mine has a degree in Women's Studies from there; she really liked. I know that it's very pricey. The town of Brunswick is very nice; definitely not as "college town-ish" as the college town I'm in!

They really do have a nice pool and indoor track ;-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks al. She has the information now. I think it basically confirmed her own feelings. Now she is looking at some of your recommendations also.
Dan

When it's good, it's good. When it's bad, you suffer.
Dan
Quote Reply