Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
swimming is making me huge!
Quote | Reply
I have enjoyed getting better at swimming and spending time in the pool. But I am getting enormous from it. I am adding a lot of bulk (obviously in the arm/back/quad region) and I'm wondering if this is something I just have to deal with as a consequence of swimming? I feel a lot more weighed down during runs because of it, and I don't find it to be a particularly attractive bulk at all; instead of looking like added muscle, the bulk seems to have disguised my stringy runner muscles. Anyone have tips on balancing this mass buildup while not sacrificing being able to fit into old clothing and still feeling light enough to run and bike?

I do eat a lot, but I've always eaten a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: swimming is making me huge! [nycflash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I do eat a lot
There may be your answer. Swimming does stimulate your appetite to make up for the coolness of the water, plus the exertion of your new activity.

Swimming is predominately an upper body sport, so the quad development you describe is hopefully minimal compared to the muscle necessary to pull through the water.

Take an unemotional look at elite female triathletes; is "bulky" how you would describe them?

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The cold water (and hence lowering the core temp.) can play into an increased appetite. I have found I'm definitely hungrier and able to eat more after a swim than a run. It's the same reason those in climates that have a cold winter tend to eat more in the winter. It's a natural survival thing.

A couple things that may help are: a short period of non-swimming exercise to raise the core temp after a swim. Or, I have found drinking a recovery drink (I like Recoverite) will help me not overeat after a swim when I get home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deal with it... you can't swim as fast w/o that muscle.

I'm noticing similar things with my legs and cycling. Still thin but not stick-runner-thin.

I was told by someone smart not to worry about it.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain, I went from a 34 to a 36 in bra size from increased swimming. I had no lats before but I do now! I can rip on a lat machine or do rows without any weight training. I think it looks nice to have some muscle and tone on your upper body. It's keeping me swimming through pregnancy even though I get horrible nauseated almost every time I swim.

One question, are you consuming huge amounts of protein? That might be bulking you up but I'm no body building expert.
Quote Reply
Re: swimming is making me huge! [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Take an unemotional look at elite female triathletes; is "bulky" how you would describe them? <<

Compared to elite runners? Yes

Compared to elite swimmers? No

Compared to elite cyclists? Maybe (depends on the cyclists' specialty)

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming muscles are hot.

I struggled with it a bit when i became bulkier on top, but now I like it and I would never choose to swim less in order to get rid of my new muscles.

Are you using paddles when you swim? Thats a pretty easy way to get bigger shoulders than you may desire.
Quote Reply
Re: swimming is making me huge! [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can appreciate all of that, and they are indeed muscles. But they definitely don't look like muscles. As I said, it just looks like bulk, underneath which are the muscles that used to show through. I guess we accept some extra meat and slower running times for being faster swimmers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...it just looks like bulk, underneath which are the muscles that used to show through.
If it just looks like bulk, then it's fat and you need to re-evaluate your eating. You said it yourself, you eat a lot.

Quote | Reply
Had opposiste effect on poor George:

"I was in the pool!! I was in the POOL!!!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming more and getting better at swimming did not make me huge or bulky or make my running slower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting big lats and shoulders is part of swimming.

I will slightly disagree with TC though. I swim with 2 women who are super fast and VERY thin. They have impeccable form. I don't doubt that when they swam in college they were 'bigger' than they are now, but I doubt they were even close to approaching how big I would be if I swam as much as I they did in college.

As for your quads getting bigger. Swimming shouldn't do that. Are you biking a lot too?

I know I gain muscle when I swim a lot, but I also still tend to get skinnier (I weigh more, but my clothes from last year are too big).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there is a girl in our gym (around late 20s) and she swims a lot. she looks like a giant! huge shoulders and lats but looks so lugubrious while running. she thinks she's a triathlete. I don't like her. Sometimes, i am a hater.
Quote Reply
Re: swimming is making me huge! [scj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I learned a new word today!
(had to look that one up)
There is a thread on the main forum about swimmers being good cyclists - quads? I think part of the theory, I skimmed through, not anything Id associate together. I think a lot of great swimmers make great triathletes in general. Since Ive been swimming way more (see my thread here-using paddles!) have to admit I 'feel' huge, but I am sure this is in my head.
Quote Reply
Re: swimming is making me huge! [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I learned a new word today!
(had to look that one up)
There is a thread on the main forum about swimmers being good cyclists - quads? I think part of the theory, I skimmed through, not anything Id associate together. I think a lot of great swimmers make great triathletes in general. Since Ive been swimming way more (see my thread here-using paddles!) have to admit I 'feel' huge, but I am sure this is in my head.
heck...it has nothing to do with quads. Bunch of BS. What swimming does is develop your lung capacity especially if you start swimming from childhood. It increases your inspiratory volume as well residual lung volume. Once a huge swimming base been established early on, it is easier to do other sports. You might not be a natural runner etc (phelps can't run good) but certainly make a decent biker. I am also a hater of people who come to the gym dressed up in the race t shirts and sporting some sort of ironman memorobilia. fu***** hate it!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you hate it when people use race shirts as workout gear?

Quote Reply
Re: swimming is making me huge! [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

i despise them. Is that a stronger word?!. It is very pretentious. the intent is not the use of it a workout it but a show off. You are one of them!!!!????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So in your angry little world when would be the appropriate time to wear race shirts or do you think that they just should not manufctured and handed out at all.

What do you do with your race shirts?

Quote Reply
Re: swimming is making me huge! [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So in your angry little world when would be the appropriate time to wear race shirts or do you think that they just should not manufctured and handed out at all.

What do you do with your race shirts?

i opt out of them. Once in a while i take them but end up donating them to Salvation army. They should not be manufactured. Damn it, you are up early for me to start hating!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's Saturday evening where I live but feel free to hate me if that makes you happy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

i despise them. Is that a stronger word?!. It is very pretentious. the intent is not the use of it a workout it but a show off. You are one of them!!!!????

Usually, when something sparks a very strong negative reaction in ourselves, it's something with us, not with the person/object that sparks the reaction.

What I find pretentious is when people think their way/opinion is the (only) right way or opinion.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
whoa! where the heck did THAT come from???
I do a lot of races. If there is an opt out option I do it, mainly because I am cheap and have a lot of tshirts anyway. I often wear them as I would think many of us work out a lot here and so I do not care to do laundry every other day. Sometimes i'll throw a race shirt on. I had NO idea it would cause such a strong/bizarre reaction! man I better watch my back at the gym.
Seriously dude, you have some issues to work out.
Last edited by: kbee: Jun 13, 09 12:02
Quote Reply
Re: swimming is making me huge! [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I do a lot of races. If there is an opt out option I do it, mainly because I am cheap and have a lot of tshirts anyway. I often wear them as I would think many of us work out a lot here and so I do not care to do laundry every other day. Sometimes i'll throw a race shirt on. I had NO idea it would cause such a strong/bizarre reaction! man I better watch my back at the gym.
issues? Heck, i have so many of them, but I don't want to work on them! Darn it, i hijacked your thread. What was the original posting about????! I wish i had scissors, I would cut out everybody's race t shirt and their ironman outfits!! hehe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
issues? Heck, i have so many of them, but I don't want to work on them! Darn it, i hijacked your thread. What was the original posting about????! I wish i had scissors, I would cut out everybody's race t shirt and their ironman outfits!! hehe

Ha ... you would really hate me - seems like all I wear is the tech shirts I get at races. In fact I am right now wearing a IM Lanzarote shirt from this year's race that I DNF'ed ... HAhahahhahhahahhahhah suck on that!!!!!

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: swimming is making me huge! [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i wish you many more DNFs to come as well as DNFs with sufferings!
Quote Reply

Prev Next