Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

swim question - suddenly hard with long course
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
I did not want to post this in the tri forum b/c I knew I would get a bunch of "HTFU" responses.
And I know tigerchik will chime in here too;)

This week, my college pool changed from short course to long course. I suddenly am not able to complete the entire workout.
Previously I was finishing 3500 m workouts in about 80 minutes. This morning I only got about 2600 m (I assume -- they told me it was 100 for a lap now). I don't think I have that strong of a kick off the wall ( I had knee surgery last year so I really had cut back on the push off the wall).
Any ideas? Either why it is difficult or things I can do to get all my distance in?
( I should mention they are not putting in the lane lines so it is more choppy).

thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: swim question - suddenly hard with long course [wickedcheezit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like great practice for triathlon! I swim in an end lane and get tossed around all the time which is what will happen in open water. It's great training for keeping yourself from panicking. You will adjust to long course distance, it will take a few workouts but you'll be fine. It's good to get out of your comfort zone in your training!
Quote Reply
Re: swim question - suddenly hard with long course [wickedcheezit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well right there are the two reasons you're feeling the distance a bit more than normal....you're basically swimming in open water - without lane lines you're totally subject to the water around you. This is REALLY good training, but also makes pool life a little more difficult. Also, with the longer distance there's a lot more swimming and with or without a strong kick off the wall you're still swimming more and streamlining less. You're basically working a LOT harder now. This is a good thing, it'll just take some adjustment but it will make you a stronger swimmer!!

My suggestion would be to try to maintain steady efforts, you're fighting through a lot more turbulent water now, focus on your form and stay calm. Don't thrash around and try to just keep pushing through and not wear yourself out as much. (Basically, HTFU in a nice way...because that's really what it's going to boil down to.) Think of it as an opportunity to do more sighting (and not bounce off the lane line or use them for guidance) and to work on your form as it relates to rougher water.

Enjoy it - quality open-water style training in a pool!! Hang in there, it WILL get easier!

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LUCKY!!! I'd kill to swim long course.

I know scy to scm is a 7% time increase. I do not know how much you can expect to slow down scm to lcm, but part of the reason you're not getting as much distance in = less turns. Even if you suck at turns with half the turns it's taking you longer. That's why it's difficult.

Not putting in lane lines though, that's odd.

If none of the responses here are satisfactory, PM FLAJill.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ask them if they are going to put lane lines in ever? Maybe they are just being lazy and won't do it until someone asks. That seems very odd in a college pool for there to be no lane lines in. Or maybe they will only have them in at certain times. I'd ask. Find out what their plans are, and maybe you can adjust your swim time to that (I always try to swim during the SCY times rather than the lcm times, because I'm lazy in the pool, and want all the turns I can get)

If they aren't planning to put them in, I'd try to get next to the wall (if you are not required to circle swim). Try to relax, and breathe both ways, so you don't get slammed into the wall, and don't drift too far away from it.

And like TC said, lcm is longer than scy, and less turns, so you will do less in the same amount of time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
disclaimer: not a womens-

The pool I swim in has no lane lines (its scy)- technically it does, but they're pretty much just nylon clothesline ropes- and they arent even tight- they regularly drift 1' or more, or sink... and they hurt like hell if you catch one on a stroke (they're white/invisible)
I havent swam in a pool proir to this one in about a year, so i notice no crazy change- but the majority of swimmers there are old people who splash around like drowning... well lets just say they dont swim well.
Does the pool not have those giant tile stripes on the floor? Thats the easiest way I keep my line- and i always swim with at least another person in my lane- so i have to keep to my side.
Enjoy the chop, knowing its there, and knowing when you're swimming past other swimmers- it forces you to breath on a different side than you might like to- or else you'd get a big 'ol mouthful of water. I've been hit by swimmers in the next lane- or I've hit them... i dunno- like i said, the "lane lines" are nearly invisible- makes you to rely on alternate ways to spot. but i'm a big/long guy- so the erratic splashing hardly throws me around
Quote Reply
Re: swim question - suddenly hard with long course [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies. I know alot of this info. I actually love to open water swim, I am just suprised at how much of the workout I am losing.
Do you have any thoughts or suggestions? For example, this morning I missed most of the pull set b/c I did not finish the workout. Should I just split the sets in half, try to finish that, then start over? OR, should I just swim and not do the drills, sets, etc and try to improve my open water skills?

The lane lines are just laziness and everyone wanting to get in rather than wait to have them put up.

To make people even more jealous, there are usually only about 6 of us there in the morning so we all get our own lane (or in this case, line) with plenty extra.
As far as pool time goes this is one of the best masters groups I have even been with - a beautiful facility with lots of practice options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just keep it rolling and you'll get used to it as your fitness improves. If you can't complete the set in time you can skip the last one (say by doing 3x 100 rather than 4x 100 as listed) and use any extra time you may have as a little rest. It will come.

LONG COURSE RULES!!!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply