Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

strength training
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any recommendations for strength training? I'm 48 and am getting back into it after a few years out due to injury and then life. I am noticing that I feel very weak even when workouts are feeling cardiovascular-ly easier/more doable (if that makes sense). Thanks for any guidance!
Quote Reply
Re: strength training [littlenorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have created several routines that address upper and lower body and core and primarily use TRX and 10 lb dumb bells. I didn’t know what to do for strength training so I took a few classes at the YMCA and found that I really liked the TRX because of the variety of exercises you can do on it. I also didn’t know how to put together a routine or how best to address weaknesses and Tri- specific needs so I worked with a personal trainer. I did about 10 sessions and was able to go on my own from there. I’ve got a home setup so it is convenient to do strength training whenever and it’s mot dependent on me getting to the gym. I find I am more consistent that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bought a book called Strength Training for Triathletes.
Haven't read the book entirely yet, but I like that it has exercises broken out by component, so you can focus on strength in each particular discipline if you want. It also had a section on common issues that occur due to lack of strength. I recognized a lot of those!
Did work with a trainer for a year or so several years ago, and that helped quite a bit with form. I'm hoping this book will help guide periodization and which muscles to work.
Quote Reply
Re: strength training [KLK1712] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the cover of the first edition of that book is WAY better than the second edition. Hubba hubba.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: strength training [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a big fan of the cover "art"! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I could go back, I would try to find my limits so i could accurately do blocks of low weight x multiple reps, high wt x low reps, and build ups. I think if you don't have benchmarks it is really hard to estimate what a "low weight" is for you and it is hard to stay motivated if you can't track progress!
Quote Reply