Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
so when I started triathlon I was a size 12
Quote | Reply
..and just bought some size 5 pants! FIVE!
ok so maybe a 'big' 5, I dunno....but this is a first for me. I was so exicted I had to share that!
Quote Reply
Re: so when I started triathlon I was a size 12 [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations - that's certainly something to be proud of. Triathlon takes a ton of focus and energy and you've obviously done a fantastic job.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GAH! Tell me how you do it... at my "skinniest" I was about a 6 (or 8, depending on the brand), but now I'm hovering around a 10/12 and can't seem to do anything about it. Ironman is making me fat. I'm thinking about hitting up a dietitian for some help.

Quote | Reply
Oh, by the way... CONGRATS!!!!! :D

Quote | Reply
Congratulations! I love reading stuff like this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job!! Keep it up.
Quote Reply
Re: so when I started triathlon I was a size 12 [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks!
I think I may have posted about this before...but yeah I was a pretty hefty ironman! Even though I had done several, I know that people likely thought: SHE does IM? (not that is should matter what people think, but...)

The major changes I made:
-RUN MORE this was huge -and more often.... typical is 6 days a week
-a long ride/run is NOT and excuse to go nuts after...I used to get the crazy hungries and figured this was because I did not eat enough pre and during. So new rule: allowed to eat anything during long run/ride. Yep I stopped for ice cream, chips, you name it...and yes, lots of it was not a good idea, but I learned. But after, its a nice large meal, but nothing super crazy, like a whole pizza....also as I got lighter/ faster I found my body worked better on healthier foods during a long ride, but its key to have enough fuel during (this goes for runs too)
-cut out preservatives, anything with HFCS (never touch it and read all labels), no 'diet' meals (diet coke is a once and a while treat, and I will have HFCS in coke during a race, only time I have it), try to keep to foods that are as little processed as possible; ideally 6 ingredients or less on the package
-carbo loading is also not an excuse to pig out, nor do you need pasta, bread etc. Sure its OK to have a bit but you dont need the huge portions. A fav night before workout treat is sweet potato fries, in the oven with some olive oil, and I make a dip with yogurt and honey dijon
-stop thinking of food as a reward...pedicures are awesome too! (and size 5 pants...on sale!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on size 5 pants. I was 8-10 before triathlon, now 4-6. Feels good, doesn't it?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations. Regarding treating food like a reward, I too have to watch my tendency to think "After the day I've had, I deserve _________ [that piece of cake, that bottle of wine, etc.]" or "I worked out hard, I deserve _____________ [that entire pizza or that mound of Chinese food]."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pictures or it didn't happen... :-)

Actually, I wanted to send my congratulations and ask a question, What do you generally have for breakfast? Do you think that what you have for breakfast has helped you reach your goals??

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Congratulations. Regarding treating food like a reward, I too have to watch my tendency to think "After the day I've had, I deserve _________ [that piece of cake, that bottle of wine, etc.]" or "I worked out hard, I deserve _____________ [that entire pizza or that mound of Chinese food]."
I've found that when I'm seriously watching my weight, the Weight Watchers point system helps me with this. I calculate how many points I've earned for a workout, eat that many, and stop. If I've earned enough points for one piece of cake, I'll eat it, enjoy it, and not eat a second piece.

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats. Hopefully I can achieve similar results at the end of this pregnancy.

What is HFCS?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! I've done an overhaul of my diet and am beginning to drop some weight. Well, not much, but I can definitely tell my body is changing. And I totally agree on the running part. I remember a run focus that someone (Wy?) did on Gordo's old site -- she ran almost every day, sometimes 2x/day, and she mentioned that her body composition changed pretty drastically.

You're my new inspiration to keep up all this healthy crap!
Quote Reply
Re: so when I started triathlon I was a size 12 [snotrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Congrats. Hopefully I can achieve similar results at the end of this pregnancy.

What is HFCS?
High-Fructose Corn Syrup

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Re: so when I started triathlon I was a size 12 [triblaq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I do really think the breakfast helped. I used to eat bagels, toast, processed cereal (with healthy sounding names)...and occasionally still do, but VERY occasionally, more as a post run or ride treat, if I do.
My typical breaskfast now is pretty much always the same: slow cooking oatmeal and a tablespoon -tbsp half of natural PB. I get the Teddy brand, and if you get grossed out by the oil, it doesnt have much, and you can either pour it out, or what I do is store it upside down in the cupboard til I am ready to open it. This is so yummy and filling and I also can run or ride on it within half an hour. It might be too heavy for some people though. Might sound boring but I look forward to it every day!

I think another help is after the morning workout, I have some chocolate or plain soy milk IMMEDIATELY whether I want it or not. I think any recovery drink, milk, yogurt etc would do. I think not only does it help recovery, but it takes the edge off the hunger...I would not be hungry when I got home, or if I was I wanted to shower first. Then by the time I sat down to eat (ok lets be honest, a lot of it was not sitting down but standing in front of the fridge!) I was outta control hungry....So now I have a little something right away, then shower, change, etc and can make some smarter food and portion choices as I am not ravenous. My stupid old rationale was I didnt want to 'waste' calories on boring recovery drinks. How dumb!

I should dig for pics...friends send me old ones that make me cringe! still, I look at the bigger girl there and I do look so happy and without a care about how I look. This sport has been such a tremendous confidence and health booster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>but yeah I was a pretty hefty ironman! Even though I had done several, I know that people likely thought: SHE does IM?<<

No, size 18 is a pretty hefty IM. That was me x about 4 IM finishes. Now, size 12 and shrinking.

I agree with the running and limiting bread and pasta.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me and maybe for alot of people here. The eating healthy part came after getting involved in running and triathlon. Seems to me that a good nutritious breakfast makes the body less inclined to store fat due to morning starvation. Maybe what I'm really learning is that it's better to eat smaller meals, evenly spaced throughout the day than a few big ones. My regular breakfast is similar to yours... oatmeal, with raisins and vanilla soy milk(to sweeten and cool the oatmeal) and a banana or other fruit. I'd actually like to gain about 5 lbs. Not sure I can do it with that breakfast.

Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your accomplishments!

I have dropped 7 pounds since January, and not really trying, but I did some of the things that you did...no HFCS, no preservatives, no diet coke, increased my running...I think there is something with the preservatives....

Quote Reply
Re: so when I started triathlon I was a size 12 [vols fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love that Nikki Giovanni quote!

Quote | Reply
Yes I really think there is something about the preservatives and weight loss... don't have any facts, but it can't be good for you otherwise anyway. Now I don't really count calories anymore, but find that the real food with no extra junk is helping me lose weight. And its not a real sacrifice as the food does taste better.
A scary thing is, when I DO have something with a lot of stuff in it, like Chex Mix...I find I can't stop. Maybe the salt, but this is the same with store bought cookies to.....Then ! want more and more 'crap'. So best to keep away, for me. THere are so many yummy and healthy alternatives....corn chips and salsa, hummus, and I do love cookies and cake, but I like to make it myself so I know what is in them.
A treat I love: Peanut Butter Cookies! but I make them myself and these arent TOO bad:

1 c. PB (natural of course)
1 c. brown sugar (ok not necessarily better than white, but)
1 egg
dash cinnamon
Thats IT! mix together, bake 8-10 at 350. Its not too bad, and so great after or during a ride...when you need that fuel! they are a bit delicate at first and should sit on the pan a minute or so before you take them off. This is so easy you can have home made cookies in less than 15 minutes. (but drink the recovery drink first!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is awesome! I went from a 14 to an 8! Whoo hoo!
I have also cleaned up my diet and am working on the newest part of going dairy-free. I'm finding its hidden in a lot of foods.

I already make my own energy bars and sports drinks. I'm hoping dropping the dairy will help with my EIA.

Any suggestions?

--------------------
Jeanne Roth
Team Timex 2007/2008
http://jeannejeannie.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: jeanneroth: May 2, 08 20:09
Quote Reply
Re: so when I started triathlon I was a size 12 [jeanneroth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok you have to share some recipes! Im looking for a good energy bar that is easy to carry without turning to mush. I will drink gatorade at races as its easier, but if you check the label for some reason the powdered stuff, also cheaper, does not have HFCS in it, so I use that for training or I also make my own mixing half water and half clear juice like cranberry or blueberry, along with a dash of salt.
Lara bars $$$ but have just stuff like dates and nuts in them and the chocolate ones are great. Good for a bike ride but maybe too heavy for a run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got this book by pro IM triathlete Brendan Brazier. The Thrive Diet. It has awesome bar recipes. I usualy make a 2x-3x batch. I use my oven set to low to dry them out and I can carry them in a baggie all day! I also like Organic Bars. They have a yellow wrapper. Here's the link: http://www.organicfoodbar.com/

--------------------
Jeanne Roth
Team Timex 2007/2008
http://jeannejeannie.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dudette that's awesome! I am stuck at 10, but my smallest since 13 was a size 6 pre-IMWA in 05. I still have my "fat test" pants. I still can't fit in them. One day... you give me hope. AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats!!!

no bread and pasta?? i think i'd go round the bend ;)

also, how tall are all of you? i'm an 8, sometimes a 6, but i am almost 5'10" and 138.

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply

Prev Next