Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

saddle sores
Quote | Reply
Hi Ladies,

I am training for an Ironman and keep getting horrible saddle sores. I take two weeks off to heal, then as soon as I ride again they come back even worse. I have tried every cream out there, I have great bike shorts, tried different saddles, messed with the bike fitting, etc. and just can't get rid of them. It's to the point that I am questioning doing the Ironman of which I am majorly bummed.
Any advice out there??? I am desperate.
Thanks greatly!
Lisa
Quote Reply
Re: saddle sores [lisasrunning] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Lisa-

I have found that waxing, and using Chafe relief gel by Monastat to be the magic combo for me. Aquaphor is also good, but more difficult to get out of your bike shorts. Whatever you use, use ALOT of it!! Hope you find something that works for you! I feel for ya girl!!

Michelle

http://www.ironmom141.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
Hi Ladies,
I have great bike shorts,

Which ones? It could simply be a matter of your shorts do not distribute the padding in the areas you need. Shorts also may not fit correctly - are they tight enough?

Quote:
tried different saddles
Which saddles? Seriously - sometimes people recommend the wrong saddles and aren't even aware that you might need something completely different.
Quote:
messed with the bike fitting, etc.

What bike do you ride? What is your position like on it?

Things to consider regarding chamois cream - the cream reduces friction in the area, however some saddle sores are actually infected/inflamed hair follicles. What specifically are you experiencing? Where are the saddle sores - near your sit bones, closer to the front, etc?

I've been a cyclist for over 10 years and have had my fair share of issues with this.

For eliminating existing sores, use Quret drawing salve.
http://www.jamarklabs.com/20201-2.html
This will reduce any inflammation/swelling/pus etc.

To prevent - try using medicated acne wipes (stridex, clearasil, whatever) to cleanse the area before you ride and then again immediately after.

If you can tell me what brand/style shorts you wear and your current saddle and position I might be able to help you.
Last edited by: feldmanTcat: Aug 23, 08 6:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DeSoto 400 mile bike short (expensive but worth it) + Body Glide (lots of it) has worked for me.

I used to get them, but since I switched to the 400-mile short, I have not had any problems this season whatsoever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lisa,
Try neosporin ointment or something similar on your next ride. My gyn recommended it and said that sores are usually caused by staph. It worked for me and I was very relieved. I had a similar situation as you. Despite being meticulous about cleanliness etc I got them with every ride. They hurt like crazy. I even had to get a cortisone shot in one before I discovered the neo. Good luck. ML
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lisa: I have also suffered from saddle sores on and off for years. I recently decided to have laser hair removal in the bikini area. Guess what, no more saddle sores! When I had saddle sores, I used Hibiclens soap (cycling pros use this) and also when really bad Bactroban cream (mupirocin calcium cream). You can get the cream by prescription. Also, be sure to get out of your shorts right away after riding and shower immediately. If you cant do this right away, use baby wipes. I use bag balm with my cycling shorts. Hope this advice is helpful. Good luck with your ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't post to this forum but I had to since I swear by this cream for sores. PINXAV.com pronounced pink salve http://www.pinxav.com/ I used this on my daughter when she was a baby and I swear by this. Trust me I put alot of miles in doing 12/24 hr bike races and ultri tri's. I've gotten some pretty nasty chaffing/sores and the next day they are just about gone. Of course this is pink, but its worth the discoloring of your panties, just wear a dark color. I have also used this for chafing by the underarm from sports bra, and wear thighs rub togther.

I find for really longer rides I like less padding. I get less sores with a tri short then regular shorts for some reason. some day a 4 hour ride irritates me while a 7 hour ride I have no bottom problems.

Make sure you lube up often. You may have to reapply more depending on how long you ride. I use Chamious Buttr, I know some people use Bag Balm. Sometimes its just trial and error
Quote Reply
Re: saddle sores [debbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you use the PINXAV.com during your ride or just for after the ride?
Quote Reply
Re: saddle sores [lkkowski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
after your ride/shower, its a great burn and chafing cream. you need something more libracating during. I like the chamious buttr because it comes in those little packages to stow in the pocket or bento box for quick re lubing on the road.
Quote Reply