Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
runny nose on the bike
Quote | Reply
Ok, this is my first official post on the womens....any advise is appreciated. Although I live in South Florida, the morning bike rides can be a little chilly. Seems like as soon as the temp drops under 75 or so, my nose runs like crazy . It is so annoying ,it drove me to write here and ask for help!!!! Anyone have a similar problem? Any advise ? Thanks .....

It could always be worse.....
Quote Reply
Re: runny nose on the bike [come back kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My nose runs constantly when I am on the bike. It doesn't matter the temperature or if I am outside or on the trainer. It also happens when I run, just not as bad. No real explanation on why it happens, I just sort of assume it had to do with the fact I am doing some type of cardio exercise. So while I have no advice on how to help, I just wanted you to know you weren't alone. Maybe someone will have some wisdom for the both of us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you will WAY more people it doesn't happen to than does. The fix: get really good at snotrockets!!!

Quote | Reply
Oooh, and a subject on which I am an expert. Place a finger firmly against your nostril, tilt your head our and blow with force and purpose. Repeat as many times as necessary during ride. Practice makes perfect.

I'm always amazed at the amount of stuff that can come out of my nose during a ride.
Quote Reply
Re: runny nose on the bike [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks , that does make me feel better that it's not just me. I never see anyone else with their nose dripping all over their face!!!! I even put paper towels in my bike shoes at transition to take with me when I am racing!

Quote Reply
Re: runny nose on the bike [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a snotrocket expert. Last year on a ride, I had a friend tell me that she didn't know so much fluid could come out of one small person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fwiw, as a snotrocket novice, you may want to wear a sweatband or something similar on your wrist to wipe up the leftovers- cause 'til you get good at it, there will be leftovers
Quote Reply
Re: runny nose on the bike [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I guess I will have to try it. I have a friend that is really good at it, so maybe some lessons are in order. Would save on paper towels!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny thread. I have also caught myself out on the roads thinking, "I'd pay a hundred bucks for a kleenex right about now". Never thought of the rocket idea.
Quote Reply
Re: runny nose on the bike [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So glad to know I am not alone!!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you get really good - you can do a double... both nostrils at the same time, only necessary when it's too dangerous to take your hands off the handlebars and your dripping (and no, I'm not joking). On the bike, if there is a crosswind, blow with the wind, otherwise, it's coming right back at ya!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: runny nose on the bike [brikins13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
fwiw, as a snotrocket novice, you may want to wear a sweatband or something similar on your wrist to wipe up the leftovers- cause 'til you get good at it, there will be leftovers

Just get the bike gloves with terry on the thumbs. That's what it's there for.

My grandfather taught me the "farmer blow" when I was a little girl and out on the horse. My mom was kinda pissed at the time.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: runny nose on the bike [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So no one else is dating the guy that thinks this is a talent that everyone else MUST have? (And I am better than he is, by the way)

Tip for riding in a pack or riding with a group - don't tilt your head when you turn it to the side and blow...just plug the other side and blow straight down. That way it'll go down and not out - and limit the likelihood that the person behind you is now wearing your snot. (Could also come in handy when racing - I've inadvertently plastered quite a few people)

Have also mastered "the double" (yeah, we have names for them) while riding...but when racing I'm far less concerned with what's on me and just tend to let 'er fly whenever.

I can be girly, sometimes, I promise!!!

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've come to embrace how really disguisting I am. Swimming in a lake, blow my nose with hand, clean up any aftermath in said lake water. On the bike, I have bike gloves with terrycloth on the top and I am always wiping my nose then wiping the excess on my shorts so it is clean for the next time I wipe my nose. Same with running in the cold weather. My sleeves of my running shirts should be quarantined. I also find when I run the I get crud on my lips so that is wiped on the shirt too.

I'm an awesome training partner!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reason for excessive mucus has alot to do with your diet. I am not sure what you eat, but the Standard American Diet (acronym "SAD"-which kinda sums it up) acidifies your body and it will produce alot of excess mucus. You will also "leak" more of it out when you are going hard in a training session. Since you are a triathlete, I assume that you eat better than the average American. Basically the consumption of mostly unprocessed, fresh food will eliminate most of your mucus production. I've actually tested it a few times (running or biking after a blowout dinner or cocktail party vs. exercising after a day or two of eating cleanly).
Hope this helps

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Re: runny nose on the bike [Honey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah...the snotrocket. Do you find yourself doing this while running too? When I'm alone, it's not a big deal but when I'm running with a group of runners (not triathletes), I get funny looks. Runners tend to carry actual tissue with them for their runny nose. I carry paper towels with me on my run for other reasons but that's an entirely different thread. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: runny nose on the bike [Honey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like it would make sense, but I actually eat very clean, to the point of too clean sometimes. I dont eat any processed food, no red meat, no fried food etc.... So I am still at a loss. I am thinking of trying the sinus cleansing process, where you pour warm salt water in your nostrils one at a time, until the water comes out the other side. I was advised to do this a while ago, but never have. Thanks for the input though, it does sound good.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sold on the clean eating thing either. If soooooooooooooo many of us are having this "problem", it doesn't add up.

I'm sticking to becoming a snot rocket pro.

Quote | Reply
Mine is mostly due to allergies.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: runny nose on the bike [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am leaning towards the allergy/sinus theory. I guess I will start to practise blowing with out a paper towel......My poor training partner!!!!!

Quote Reply
Re: runny nose on the bike [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've come to embrace how really disguisting I am. Swimming in a lake, blow my nose with hand, clean up any aftermath in said lake water. On the bike, I have bike gloves with terrycloth on the top and I am always wiping my nose then wiping the excess on my shorts so it is clean for the next time I wipe my nose. Same with running in the cold weather. My sleeves of my running shirts should be quarantined. I also find when I run the I get crud on my lips so that is wiped on the shirt too.

I'm an awesome training partner!

OMG I am exactly the same way! I am proud to be a triathlete! We also have regular conversations about peeing, pooping, burping and vomiting!!! What do the mens talk about???
Cam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took me seven years to master this technique. It completely grossed me out at first. Then I wouldn't blow hard enough- ugh! I have finally gotten it down. I was so proud of myself when I was able to do it successfully, my husband thinks it is completely unladylike, but it feels so much better afterwards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I admit it, I can't do it. I've tried when riding alone, but it just isn't going to happen. Not only that, but it just isn't lady-like. I bring tissue.
I have noticed that the forward position in aero makes your nose run more. Also it doesn't help that bike day is usualy after swim day...since almost every damn day is swim day...but that's another thread...and the swim always gets my sinuses going.

"It's not just a daydream if you decide to make it your life"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar situation here, and I'm already an expert on the snotrocket. Not to get too graphic here, but what runs out of my nose is more like water than the standard mucus. It's like a slow leak in a faucet and it often continues for a long time after I'm done riding. I've got it under control, so it's not noticeable, but it sure is a PITA!
Quote Reply
Re: runny nose on the bike [Large] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Similar situation here, and I'm already an expert on the snotrocket. Not to get too graphic here, but what runs out of my nose is more like water than the standard mucus. It's like a slow leak in a faucet and it often continues for a long time after I'm done riding. I've got it under control, so it's not noticeable, but it sure is a PITA!
Sure sounds like I am not alone with this. Mine is the same but more than a slow leak, it's a constant drain...oh well I guess I will just have to deal with it!

Quote Reply

Prev Next