Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

rollers
Quote | Reply
In the "should I buy a trainer" post, there were several recommendations for rollers. These got me thinking that buying rollers may make my indoor riding a bit more fun and be a great addition to my indoor training family. Any recommendations on which one to buy? I don't need the best on the market just something functional and that won't need to be replaced every year. I would assume I would ride them about once a week or so.
Quote Reply
Re: rollers [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought some through Performance that were on sale for about $100. You do not need the $350 Krietel ones.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of tacx ones that get the job done...mine have plastic drums - just beware that the barrels may warp a bit over time...kind of feels like riding a bumpy road if it happens. But - on the upside of that - it could be good bike-handling challenges and keep the ride interesting.

You don't need the super-expensive ones, mine I think are the cheapest, but they still work and if you take care of them they don't really warp.

I'm a huge advocate of rollers and what they do for bike handling and bike form. You cannot stay on rollers and NOT have good balance and NOT be able to hold your line. You will sweat, it will be hard at first, but the learning curve is huge. I would rather ride rollers any day - it's more mentally engaging and the payoff is larger for being able to ride hard and not be all over the road.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the 2.5" kreitlers and I love them, they are really pricey though. I probably wouldn't have bought them had I not been working at a shop and able to get them for like 50% off.

my severely neglected blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Kreitlers but I bought them used. This is actually my 2nd set after my first set got mistakenly given to a kid who was an up-and-coming bmx racer by some shop guys after I had moved. Rather than take the rollers back from some kid I just let them go and bought another set. I do miss those first ones though, as they had Colnago style clover cutouts in the ends of the drums... That was sweet.

I've heard great things about SportCrafter rollers - I've never seen them myself but based on comments from others as well as what I've seen from some of the other non uber roller companies, that would be my choice for a reasonably priced set.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: rollers [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a set of the Performance ones too. The price was right ($110) but I do wish they had a bit more resistance. They seem to be good for about an hour and then the tension band has warmed up to the point where I'm spinning out.
Quote Reply
Re: rollers [banana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have some old plastic drum no brand name on them that I can see ones and they're warped and we don't use them any more.
If I were to get them again, I would find some with at least Al drums.
Quote Reply