Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

riding my bike to work, wear a helmet for the sidewalks?
Quote | Reply
hi all, i am going to try commuting to my studio via bike. it's less than a 2 mile trip (maybe 1 mile?) so, obviously riding a bike is no brainer.

i am considering putting more of a "hybrid" type of tire on my mountain bike. yes, the bike is overkill for the job, but what the hell.

do you feel it is necessary to wear a helmet with riding on the sidewalk, at very low speed, for about 1 mile?
Quote Reply
Re: riding my bike to work, wear a helmet for the sidewalks? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see why not, wear the helmet.
Last edited by: Jagerstar: Jun 6, 08 19:02
Quote Reply
Re: riding my bike to work, wear a helmet for the sidewalks? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sidewalk riding is the most dangerous riding there is, IMO. People backing out of driveways and pulling out of stores generally will back up past the sidewalk before looking both ways. I avoid them at all costs. But if I HAVE to ride on them you better believe I'm going to have a helmet on.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: riding my bike to work, wear a helmet for the sidewalks? [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wear the helmet.
Better safe than sorry!

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I strongly recommend wearing a lid but also staying the hell off of the sidewalks! IMO that's the most dangerous place to be, bar none.

Ride in the road, wearing your lid.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the worst crashes I've had was across the street from my house going about 5 mph.

Yes on the helmet.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: riding my bike to work, wear a helmet for the sidewalks? [Jagerstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, i'd be going like 10. it will be sidewalk; i'd rather ride there, then be on the road with cars going 40. when it's cooler i will walk. but in 100 degree heat...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's actually illegal to ride on the sidewalks here. Not sure if that's the reason it drives me crazy when people do, or if it's because they are often not careful around pedestrians.

Wear a helmet!!

Quote | Reply
Ditto what everyone said about not riding on the sidewalks. Not only do people back out of driveways and pull out of parking lots without looking, people turning onto sidestreets often can't/don't see you.

Helmet ... yeah, you should wear it. (Though I'm sometimes guilty of not wearing one when I'm just going a little ways on my just-riding-around bike to go out to eat or something. I mean, who wants to wear a helmet with a cute sundress and sandals?!? I wonder if there's a market out there for cute helmets that don't destroy your hair. In that respect, the Atmos just doesn't cut it!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand having to ride on the sidewalk. Some places it is illegal, like San Diego, but where I live now, you basically can't ride in the road in a lot of places around town. Check the traffic laws first.

As far as a helmet, this town is obsessed with not wearing helmets. The thing I don't understand is, what is the advantage to NOT wearing one? You fall down one time, and it could potentially kill you, regardless of your speed or if you're on the sidewalk. I think not wearing one is just another form of natural selection....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get tempted to not wear mine when I'm on my cruiser, BUT I always do. I would feel like a total idiot if something happened and I wasn't wearing it. Think of how much shit you wold get on ST if word got out that you were injured because you weren't wearing a lid. It's just not worth the risk in my book. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I worked alongside the director of the Helmet crash test lab at USC in grad school. After what I have seen, I wear a helmet test riding my bike after I tune it up around the neighborhood. Wear the helmet, please.

Dave

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: riding my bike to work, wear a helmet for the sidewalks? [csb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exactly, i know it sounds trite, but i don't want to ride to work and have stupid hair all day. selling womens garments, that would not be a good thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Helmet, helmet, helmet. That's my vote. Especially on the sidewalks (if that is where you choose to ride). Ride safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so i'm sitting in Panera and here come two relatively normal-looking people, a couple, mid-40s, on two cruisers, riding through a mega-parking-lot with no helmets on, and i'm thinking wtf? wear the helmet. you've never crashed, kitty? after i hit a coupling on a lift-bridge about 20 years ago and went head-first over end, there's no longer a question about helmets. it was shattered, my head was (relatively) intact.
Last edited by: dreaming~big: Jun 8, 08 5:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cracked a helmet and gave myself a concussion when I tipped over at a STOPLIGHT. I.e. when I wasn't moving. A woman my parents knew at their gym skidded on her hybrid on the bike path, going about7 mph, hit her head and was a vegetable. No helmet.

It's not the speed that's the problem...it's your bare melon bouncing off the pavement.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
exactly, i know it sounds trite, but i don't want to ride to work and have stupid hair all day. selling womens garments, that would not be a good thing.
Have you considered a hairstyle that can be put back together after being crushed by a helmet? I'd rather have a crushed hairstyle than a crushed head.

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Re: riding my bike to work, wear a helmet for the sidewalks? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, ok, i get it. bouncing heads, vegetables, and the like. i will not ride my bike without a helmet.

and honestly, that is an exercise in futility anyway seeing how i cannot even sit on my bike without a helmet. what was i thinking there is no way i could go without a helmet. my good girlfriend calls me "Safety JoAnne" for pete's sakes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear the helmet. Most accidents happen close to home. After wrecking and cracking my helmet, I wear my helmet just to take the bike for a spin around the neighborhood to check gearing.

Quote | Reply
Wear a helment. Don't jeprodize your upcoming races. You never know what could happen and many bike accidents happen close to home and when you are just tooling around. It is simply appalling when I see people riding without a helment and when adults having children in tow in one of those carrier things and the kids aren't wearing helments! Maybe it is darwinism....

Can you hear me now?
Quote Reply
Re: riding my bike to work, wear a helmet for the sidewalks? [Griffen_Gal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please wear a helmet..a friend went down last year, she was wearing a helmet, had she not I would of been at her funeral. The paramedic at the scene said she wouldn't of made it if she wasn't wearing one. She wasn't going fast. Hat head or not, a mile probably won't ruin your hair too much.

Tri-it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Worried about your hair? Get one of these!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R0rGoWtF-hs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." - Charles De Mar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and you yelled at me about an ipod on country roads...........

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please wear the helmet -- everywhere, anywhere, all the time. I have worked rehab as a speech therapist and I'll say from first hand observation that you don't want to experience the permanent and life changing results of a traumatic brain injury. I'll give up looking cute or being cool every time compared with a lifetime of feeding tubes, wheelchairs, adult diapers, etc.
Quote Reply