Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

recovering from rest week
Quote | Reply
Uch, just did a 40 minute run -- and this is as short as I go -- after five days off (pretty much totally off, except for one 1k swim) and it felt AWFUL. Heartrate through the roof, dead legs, uncoordinated, etc. I'm puzzled by this because I had been training my run fairly hard for the three weeks prior, and assumed that the rest would boost that, rather than set me back.

Jet lag/body clock could be a factor (jumped back and forth 5 time zones in four days), but my sleep's topped up.

So I'm wondering, for next time, whether time off exercise is such a good idea, or whether I should just train lighter to maintain what I've got?

http://www.yearoftrainingdangerously.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: recovering from rest week [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 days off leaves me feeling zippy - any more than that leaves me sluggish. you haven't actually lost fitness, but there seems to be a workout/laziness inertia that seems to take a day or two to overcome.

also: jetlag blows. without half the travel you've had (just 2 time zones, out then back 5 days later), i felt messed up for a couple of days; i did sleep horribly while out west, though, and never get enough sleep at home.

good luck - cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I totally hear you on this one. I almost always feel the same way on the run with >3 days of no running, but the next run is often good to go. I'd be curious to hear how your next run goes for you.
Flying or really long drives make my legs feel heavy and weak, though wearing some compression has helped.

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply