Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

rain jacket for racing
Quote | Reply
Anybody have any favorites? After a very windy cold 112 bike in light rain and sleet at a race a couple of weeks ago, I'm searching the end of year bargains for a rain jacket. I'm looking for something that is form fitting, as I only plan to use it for racing.

I had a nylon (polyester?) windbreaker on for the race, but after it got saturated with rain the wind sucked the heat out when it hit the wet fabric. I had some plastic wrapped around my torso, which is probably the only thing that kept me from turning blue.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: rain jacket for racing [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a Hydrolite jacket for racing. It's see-through, so that you can still pin your race number to your jersey underneath. Just to be clear though, it's not 100% waterproof. It's very water resistant, and the nice thing about it is that it's highly breathable when wet. I really like it though, and always wear a merino wool baselayer in lousy weather as they stay reasonably warm when wet.

I live in Vancouver, so we get our fair share of freezing cold, pouring rain races! The Hydrolite (or similar items by other companies) is super popular, I feel like 90% of the racers here own one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, Castelli makes a waterproof jersey. I haven't tried it, but I'm dying to! They also make waterproof arm warmers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another Vancouverite here. I wore a Sugoi team jacket for IMNZ this past March where we had 70mm of rain all day. Not totally dry but very comfortable and warm, and a lot drier than many other racers that day. Sugoi stuff is mostly designed in Vancouver, where we take rain wear pretty seriously ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had nearly every major manufacturers rain jacket and by far the best is made by Shower Pass in Seattle - I love this jacket as does my bride - no affiliation to the company - but a fantastic product.

Hope this helps.

graham

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on the Showers Pass, specifically the Elite 2.0. Waterproof but also breathable.
Quote Reply
Re: rain jacket for racing [barrel_o_monkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was looking at Shower Pass (club pro or elite, but it looked like these jackets were more for commuting--and might have a loose fit. What has your experience with them been?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My recollection was that it had a nice contoured fit but I just pulled it out and tried it on again. Its not a skin suit by any strech :). While I don't feel like I'm flying a sail when wearing it, I agree with your assertion that it might be better suited as a commuter (or in my case longer rides in inclement weather) jacket as you will not be shaving any time off in a race while wearing it. I found the challenge was finding a jacket that was waterproof (not just water resistant) but also breathable and the Elite fit the bill. Good luck with your search. Cheers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also own an Event jacket (by Westcomb, another fabulous Vancouver company). I commute in it every day, but I don't think I'd race in it. Beyond the fact that is cost and arm and a leg and I'd hate to crash in it, I actually think it'd be overkill. I guess it depends how hard you're riding, but for me a bike race means a HR of >170 bpm. Even though the Event fabric is amazing and breathable, I find it bulky. I prefer more flexible light weight fabrics myself. Training rides are a completely different story though.

A lot of companies also make a "water resistant" winter jacket for cycling. These tend to be fitted, race-y and wind proof as well. It's definitely worth going to a few local shops to try some stuff on and see what "feel" you like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the feedback!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still using a Gore Bike Wear Alp-X Gore-tex jacket. It came in handy for a half marathon last May when the temperature dropped to the lower 50's with rain. The Pac-lite shell is lightweight, breathable and keeps the upper body dry in everything but a torrential downpour.

It's neither too snug or too loose. This carries me through the Pacific NW winters by using a base layer tank top, long sleeve thermal jersey and a short sleeve jersey over those.

It has a napoleon pocket and a zipped rear pocket for your goodies. It also has ample reflective piping down the sleeves and back. The only thing I wished it had were pit zips.

I bought it at Amazon for 150, regular price hovers around 225 or so. I will buy this jacket again, unless I find something even better. So far, I'm very impressed with the durability of Gore Bike Wear products.
Quote Reply
Re: rain jacket for racing [mrak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second the Hydrolite. You can get one for $20 at the Sugoi Factory Sale next week... if you lived in Vancouver. Awesome easily compacted jacket with nice tight fit--use it all the time when there's a chance of rain, stuff it in your jersey's back pocket as an insurance policy.
Quote Reply
Re: rain jacket for racing [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any of you Vancouverites going to the Sugoi sale and be willing to pick up one for me? That is a great price.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I'm not going. Attending can be dangerous, both from the intense jostling, and from the unexpected spending. One of my friends bought 10 trisuits. I was happy to pick up a Velocity Trisuit, retail $185 for $15. You can see why you can get injured.
Quote Reply
Re: rain jacket for racing [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WOW!

Quote Reply
Re: rain jacket for racing [mrak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Hydrolite as well in both a vest and jacket and they are my favorite. you get wet but you never get cold
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: swiftrobie: Dec 22, 11 11:08
Quote Reply