Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
question: celexa, clonazepam
Quote | Reply
Have any of you had experiences with these medications? I have extreme panic attacks and am very depressed. Sick of BF telling me to 'snap out of it', 'go for a bike ride' 'get a grip' etc.
The clonazepam pretty much stopped the anxiety in its tracks, this is good. Just started celexa-Ive read stories of people gaining 20-70 pounds from this. I think if that happened I'd be even worse off!
Also I've pooped myself 2x since starting these meds.
Any insights would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: question: celexa, clonazepam [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just went through this same thing this last spring. Turned into agoraphobia and panic attacks to the point where I missed work a couple times because I couldn't get out of the house. I was terrified of driving, eating, sleeping, you name it. Lost 15 lbs from not eating. Stopped running for about 6 weeks because of the depression. It was hell.

I have been using clonazepam and Ativan to control the anixiety. Thankfully it has pretty much cleared up so I only take one if I have insomnia. I haven't been on Celexa but pretty much any anti-depressant has the potential for weight gain. What you have to be careful of is the brain stomach disconnect. What I found is that my stomach would be full but my brain would still register hunger so I'd keep eating. I'm on a meds right now that has put on half the weight I lost. Kinda bummed about that but at least I'm eating again and the depression has cleared up.

I am keeping healthy snacks around and the ice cream and chips aren't staring me in the face anymore. I suggest you keep ALL junkfood out of the house. Keep healthy snacks only. At least of you overeat it won't be on crap.

And, IMO, ditch the boyfriend. If he doesn't undersand it is a brain chemistry problem then he will be doing this same thing to you any time this happens. You deserve better.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: question: celexa, clonazepam [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks-yes I think maybe good advice-my first full blown panic attack (did not know just what it was at the time) he started to yell at me! he later apologized as he said he did not know what to do. Anyway-so how are you feeling now? Me, it's so bad I am considering the possibility of the hospital. I've been unable to go to work for a week now. BF has no idea, just keep calling in sick. I feel like I am spinning out of control.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm back on track thanks to the new meds. Also the weather is finally getting better which helps.
I also considered hospitalization and had a long discussion with my husband about it. He talked me out of it because the consequences are pretty huge. I'm not discouraging it at all, just think carefully. If you are thinking of suicide, check yourself in. NOW! Be honest with yourself about it. I was at the point where I was so depressed my bones ached. Worse I can ever remember being. I've never retreated to the house that way either. Lasted weeks for me. I wanted the pain to go away. I took the anxiety meds pretty much constantly for a couple weeks then tapered off. I decided not to go into the hospital because I wasn't sure I belonged there. I wasn't suicidal and didn't know what it could do for me.

Are you working with a psychiatrist or is your primary care doctor giving you the meds? You need a psychiatrist who gets this is a chemistry problem and will switch meds when necessary. It is great he/she has given you the anxiety meds. That stuff works miracles.

Also, call the Dr who is working with you and talk about how bad things are. Let him/her know you are thinking about hospitalization. They may have some advice or a different meds that would be a better help.

Hang in there. It can take a while for the meds to kick in but it will. Do whatever you can to get out of the house. Walk to the mailbox. Stand on the sidewalk. Go for a short walk. One day I got in the car and drove around the block. That was a huge step for me that day. Whatever you can. It is so easy to sink into the couch and the more you do that the harder it is to leave. My husband went out of town while I was at my worst and I cried for the entire time he was away. It was awful. I forced myself to go to work and run an errand. I wasn't functional and it was painful to leave the house but I needed to do it. It kept me in touch with the outside world.

I feel like I'm rambling a bit. This is the first time I've really shared what happened. I felt like I'd never get better. We tried several meds and I had horrible reactions to them. Zoloft sent me into a panic attack and kep me at that level of anxiety for a week and a half while we tried to give it time to kick in. I felt like my arms were on fire and anything even a little stressful threw me into a full blown attack. We stopped it and the anxiety got a lot better. Completely unexpected reaction since it had worked for me before. Now I'm on a mood stabilizer which is a better fit and works for me.

Please call your Dr today. Talk to him/her about hospitalization. And, it will get better. I was convinced I'd never see the end of it. It was the worst time in my life. I got through it and am not tapering off the meds.

You won't feel this way forever. You will get better. Get the right help. If hospitalization is the right help, do it. Surround yourself with people who love and support you. Stay away from people who don't. Try and get a little exercise. Even a walk for 10-15 minutes or 20 minutes on the bike trainer. Even if the things you love to do don't bring you pleasure right now, do them anyway. Force yourself to live your life.

If you want my personal email let me know. I'll listen to whatever you say. Isolation makes this worse.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks Jen for your kind words...I am at the end of my rope-I will make that call today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Few additional items:
1. Ask for your thyroid and vitamin D to be checked.
2. There is a great book, "Thoughts and Feelings" by Matthew McKay. You may start to hear the term CBT, cognitive behavorial therapy this my very well be an approach a good pyschologist will take.
3. Find a great Psychiastrist (med management and Psychologist. (CBT).
4. There are a lot of meds out there, SSRI's are very common, also SRNI's (ie: Cymbalta). Been through 5 of them, cymbalta has been best overall mood lifter
5. Sexual side effects are common, again work with your Psych to play with best match.
6. Paxil, be aware, has strongest side effects (weight gain and sexual) to many people.

Good forum to watch: http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/

Fortunately, exercise is one of the best therapies...
Quote Reply
Re: question: celexa, clonazepam [steveandbarb1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you
I am on thyroid meds-and at last check a month ago they were completely outta whack and meds adjusted-also after bloodwork recommended more vit D. I suspect thyroid may have something to do with this and seeing Dr again tomorrow.
thanks for the link
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad to read you are getting back in to see your Dr. In the meantime, pop the clonazepam as much as it necessary to feel good. I was worried about a dependency but my Dr insisted I take them. She was right. I didn't develop any dependany and it kept me function when I would take them. Drugs are good so use them.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thank you so much for your posts and PMs-sometimes strangers are a better help than the people closest to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey I just wanted to chime in on my experience. I too have had problems with anxiety/panic attacks. I couldn't eat or sleep. Lost a lot of weight. This has happened twice to me...after i got well the first time, after awhile I decided to stop taking celexa...then a few years later i started having anxiety again. Now I know that both times were due to hormones being out of whack from taking a generic birth control pill. The first time within the week of starting a generic form of the BCP I was on...the anxiety started. After going to pyschologist and getting put on Celexa, I also then went to have my yearly checkup with the OBGYN and got put on a different pill (brand name)...anxiety went away. The second time... I moved to a different state and had to change health insurance companies and my new insurance automatically put me in for the generic BCP...again started having anxiety. Finally figured it out after going to the doctor and she told me that while the generic should have the same amounts as the brand name they don't...mind wasn't the first case this happened too. Anyway I would say if the anxiety started out of the blue then its probably your thryoid causing it.

That said I don't have any problem with losing weight while on Celexa or have any weight gain other than not eating cleanly.

I know how horrible it is to have anxiety...I truly hope you feel better soon:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dump the BF and find one that cares more obout you. Hope you find the correct meds to help, hang in there.

-----------------------------------------------------------
"You do what you have to do , so can do what you want to do."
Quote Reply
Re: question: celexa, clonazepam [ljam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
went to Drs today-last time my thyroid was at 14! which explains some things I guess.So thye tested that again. Meds changed to effexor and staying with clonapin which helps. I feel not quite as hopeless today. Just feel so angry at myself as I thought I was stronger than this.
BFs reaction to me not going to work for a while was not great to say the least-he doesn't 'get' it. I wonder if moving on from him at this point would hurt or help?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Internet advice re relatiobnships is incredibly flawed (one side of the story, will defend the writer / persecute the other). Don't rely on us anonymous dimwits for life advice since we're not living your life. Make up you own mind, you're an adult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on Celexa and Ativan, have been for over a year and have not had any problems at all with weight gain.

Some people lose weight on Celexa, too. You just never know.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of the people who gain 70 lbs aren't doing triathlons.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JenHS wrote:

Zoloft sent me into a panic attack and kep me at that level of anxiety for a week and a half while we tried to give it time to kick in. I felt like my arms were on fire and anything even a little stressful threw me into a full blown attack. We stopped it and the anxiety got a lot better.

I'm glad to hear someone else say they've had problems with Zoloft. It made my depression worse (as some background, I've been clinically depressed since about age 5, so it's with me for life. Medication is my only choice. I HATE people who tell me to 'snap out of it'), and I had such severe panic attacks that I'd run out of the house in the middle of the night.

One time I ran out, and by the time I calmed down, I was a mile away from home, with no ID, no keys, no nothing. Yikes.

I'm lucky that I've found a medication that's working for now.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone will react differently--really, you have to sort of guess and test to see which fit is right for you, although your dr. should be able to make some narrowed guesses. def. get in to see a psychiatrist though.

I have general anxiety, OCD, panic, and some other random fun things floating around in the DSM. For me, the best combination was Lexapro with a Wellbutrin add on (and later a BUspar add on), along with ativan and/or klonopin (aka Lorazepam and Clonazepam) for acute situations (or for situations I knew would provoke an attack). I also went through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which was a GODSEND.

It took me a while to get over the side effects for the Lexapro, but when I did, I was fine. No weight gain (I actually lost weight). The side effects were not easy though--frequently you will go through a rough patch before stuff evens out. It is TEMPORARY. Shitty, but temporary.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: question: celexa, clonazepam [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all. Well except for Slayerhatebreed-that was not helpful at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay then, suit yourself.

Have Dan post a poll to the right of the screen whether you should break up with the BF or not and abide by the one side informed masses. 3 sides to this story: yours, his and the truth.

I have sympathy for your struggles, truly. I also think that when people start to have faith in themselves and the paths / decisions they make on their own in life it can only lead to better things - including a possible reduction in anxiety-type issues from which you described in your original post. Confidence builds and the sky is the limit with your potential as a human being.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually I think the advice from SHB was very helpful. Your BF may have no idea what's going on and may have no means to cope with these changes. Not saying it's OK for continued non-support, but really, us STers know so little about your specific situation that you need to decide what to do yourself - don't rely on any relationship advice here.

It's probably just as much a shock to him as it is to you.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope the effexor works well for you.

Not to sound negative, but you will have to accept, in most cases (but not all), side effects from meds. If it's a matter of a trade-off between stability and gaining some weight, for instance, I personally think the weight gain is worth it. I have body image/ED issues (generally recovered bulimic other than some binging issues remaining, haven't purged for a year or so though) but I'd far rather be stable (bipolar w/psychotic features/schizoaffective). It sounds like you've been in a bad place, and while I can't tell you what to do, I'd say at this point if you were considering hospitalization, look to obtain stability before worrying about most side effects, especially ones with little short-term implications (I'm not going to say metabolic syndrome - which I'm not sure if ADs cause, though I know anti-psychotics do - doesn't have serious implications, just that it's a trade off you have to be prepared for, though I wouldn't worry from a short-term perspective about it).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your posts regarding depression and anxiety. My 18 year old has ADD, anxiety and depression and has been dealing with some serious issues of late. She won't take her meds (or forgets) and is really doubting herself thinking she is behind in everything in her life. I will have her read this thread and hopefully she will realize she is NOT alone, and that while it takes work and experimentation, there is hope for better times!

She doesn't exercise regularly, but I hope she starts to help manage her symptoms. Her dad is a bit like the OP boyfriend. Frustrated and thinking she can will herself out of her funk. Pisses me off, but I get the frustration level. You want to fix everything for your kids, and we just can't. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I've posted before, I'm dealing with a terminal cancer diagnosis right now so have some experience with some nasty anxiety. It's been a long time since any really bad panic attacks though, thankfully, along the lines of what you and Jen have described. I used klonopin for a very short time many years ago (long before the cancer) but I found when I tried it this time around, it made me act pretty crazy. I only took it in the evenings, but I found I would sort of lose it - mostly very angry and upset, to the point my boyfriend was also a little shocked (though always supportive).

Anyway, I agree Ativan can be pretty helpful and hasn't had any extreme side effects. But I find it's a little much for me, kind of a narcotic feeling. I've really only used it when I've been hospitalized with the damn cancer side effects and needed it for anti-nausea purposes (ativan also acts as anti-emetic). Any reason not to try to the Xanax? I take it to help me sleep once in awhile and I find it a nice, mild way to take the edge off.

And now my big recommendation: have you tried acupuncture? I've been doing it for a few months in the hopes that it would help alleviate the exteme digestive distress that my tumors and chemo are causing, and I'm pretty sure it's worked wonders. A LOT of people see acupuncturists for anxiety. If you've got it pretty bad, it might be hard to get out the door and give that first visit a try, particuarly since getting those little needles stuck in you can be pretty disconcerting. But if you can get over that hump, I really think you've got nothing to lose. I never thought in a million years I'd be such a die-hard fan.

Finally, I too get what SHB is saying. It's hard sometimes for me take control of my situation and make decisions about my treatment. But at least one important person in my life gave me that same advice - take control of your situation, get the information you need and analyze it for yourself, and make the decisions. It's empowering - feeling a loss of control is a pretty big source of anxiety, I think especially for middle-aged women for some reason. Taking back that control and making decisions for yourself about what's best for you, what you want, what you need - might just help combat the anxiety. I agree these things are chemically driven , but I also believe a good hard look at our own lives and how we're living them can help address the problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. But be careful. Many of these drugs are harder to stop than one would imagine.
Some anti-anxiety drugs like Ativan or Xanax can produce "bounce back" anxiety when you try to quit, which can be extremely debilitating.

I'm working on meditation as an anxiety solution. It's pretty difficult for me, but I think is gonna be the best solution in the long run.
Quote Reply
Re: question: celexa, clonazepam [steveandbarb1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steveandbarb1 wrote:
Few additional items:

1. Ask for your thyroid and vitamin D to be checked.
2. There is a great book, "Thoughts and Feelings" by Matthew McKay. You may start to hear the term CBT, cognitive behavorial therapy this my very well be an approach a good pyschologist will take.
3. Find a great Psychiastrist (med management and Psychologist. (CBT).
4. There are a lot of meds out there, SSRI's are very common, also SRNI's (ie: Cymbalta). Been through 5 of them, cymbalta has been best overall mood lifter
5. Sexual side effects are common, again work with your Psych to play with best match.
6. Paxil, be aware, has strongest side effects (weight gain and sexual) to many people.

Good forum to watch: http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/

Fortunately, exercise is one of the best therapies...

Awesome advice SteveandBarb... thyroid is one of the most common instigators of generalized depression... whether it is hyper or hypo either way it takes you on one hell of a roller coaster. D3 can also make a huge difference as well (at least it did with me) and should be added to the regimen of anyone taking SSRI's along with an increase of folic acid and B complex because SSRI's tend to burn those essentials out of your system.

My father is a lifelong depression sufferer and we have been through the whole gamut of meds and therapies. CBT is one of the very best there is sometimes you just have to talk your way out of it ironically with yourself. I have had bouts of depression but none longer than just a number of weeks. It usually subsides or goes away completely when I get back into the groove of working out on a regular and strict schedule and honestly watching what I eat makes a big difference too.... I stay away from natural mood altering foods like caffeine and chocolate unless its the dark stuff.

Bottom line LAtri, don't give up hope... there is an answer out there you just have to keep digging to find it!!

I am an avid cyclist who is also the co-owner and buyer for Low Country Multisport a performance specific F.I.S.T. certified fit studio and repair shop in the beautiful Lowcountry of South Carolina. And, I just happen to be married to a retired Marine who is completely addicted to the iron distance. "lord help my wallet!!"
Quote Reply
Re: question: celexa, clonazepam [lilbluebirds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My girlfriend lost weight on Celexa. Talk to your doctor, hang in there, it'll get better. Listen to this woman's podcasts, they are very relaxing and helpful for anxiety...http://tarabrach.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next