Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

protein supplement
Quote | Reply
I'm posting this in the women's because I'm wondering if women may have a different opinion on supplements than guys and all the people I know that train hard are guys....so here we go...if you are adding protein to a smoothie or whatever you add it to, do you prefer soy protein or whey protein?? and why?? I've read a little bit about the differences, but not enough to fully understand it...

Thanks for the input...
Quote Reply
Re: protein supplement [simple2525] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had my 15 year old work with a nutritionist during base season because it was a challenge for her to maintain weight when she started running cross country. This person recommended whey protein, saying that sometimes too much soy can affect hormone levels and therefore with having regular periods. Given her age and the fact that she was still going through puberty we steered away from the soy as a result. She makes smoothies with frozen fruit, yogurt, and the protein powder and really likes them. We also add it to batters when we make muffins or pancakes -- she says she can't taste the difference. Hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Re: protein supplement [simple2525] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm posting this in the women's because I'm wondering if women may have a different opinion on supplements than guys and all the people I know that train hard are guys....[/quote] You don't really need protein supplements... you can get enough from just eating well. So many people think "oh we need all this extra protein" - you don't - the RDA is body weight (kg) x 0.83. For an endurance athlete the recommendation is body weight (kg) x 1.2 (citing that from Monique Ryan's sports nutrition for endurance athlete book) --- for a 125 lb woman that would be like 68g protein - you can easily get that from eggs, milk/yogurt/cheese, beans, nuts, whole grains - the stuff you're supposed to be eating every day anyway. Read any good sports nutrition book, or a nutrition for sports and exericse text; you will find that protein supplements are unneccessary and a waste of money...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: protein supplement [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks tigerchik. I don't really plan on buying protein supplement. My schedule can just be very hectic so I know there are plenty of times when I definitely don't get enough protein or I go to the gym before work and won't have time when I get to work to eat anything because of meetings, etc. so I grab a shake on the way out of the gym. They have both soy and whey protein there.
Quote Reply