Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

post baby bike?
Quote | Reply
My wife is really really really really missing bikes right now (8 months prego).

Any tips on how long post natural delivery until the lady parts won't hurt /be damaged from the bike? I want to encourage her to get back on the bike, but not too early ;)

Thinking maybe 3 months try the cruiser with the soft squishy seat and back on the sit-bones position, and 4 months try the road bike again?
Last edited by: copperman: Jul 12, 15 16:02
Quote Reply
Re: post baby bike? [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have any timing input - I had my baby in Dec and stayed off the bike til the weather was nice.

I did learn that my feet grew nearly a full size and I needed new biking and running shoes when I got back.

I also found a new wider saddle made a huge difference when I broke down a few years later and dealt with the fact that the saddle I used to love was killing me. (I was neutral on weight with pre-baby too)

So, realize having a baby can impact a body in lasting ways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was still on my mountain bike at 8 months pregnant (but not for long).

It's really up to her. Too many variables on the delivery. I was back on the bike by 6 weeks (trainer) & worked my way back from there. I wouldn't push her either way, a baby is a game changer in every possible way - she may be dying to get back to it or she might have zero interest.

Also, a squishy seat is the worst idea. Having all that pushing into my would have been intolerable. Being more upright is a great idea though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She won't know until after baby is born. After #1 it was many months (Btn 5-7) before I could run or ride due to pubic bone pain that just wouldn't go away. Baby # 2 I was good to jog at 6 weeks and could handle biking by 8. Baby #3 was an unexpected c-section and 14 months later I realize I haven't been on a bike for over 2 years now so I have no experience biking post c-section. When she decides she wants to get back on the saddle she'll know if it's ok or not! I think starting by riding a cruiser around the neighborhood is a great idea before hitting the road/tri bike. Have fun with being a daddy!!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode my road bike about 3 weeks after delivering normal (no c section). It felt GREAT - one of my best moments on the bike!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sucks having to give up the bike while pregnant. I started riding after my 6 week visit. I had stitches both times and wanted to be sure all was healed. I know of other women to went back sooner.

Congrats by the way and thanks for asking for your wife. I'm sure she appreciates it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the advice, ladies. I have a good husband :) It sounds like I'll just know when I'm healed enough to try it out. Crossing my fingers that my body bounces back quickly and I can get in a couple good rides this fall before everything ices over again.
Quote Reply