Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

osteoporosis
Quote | Reply
I was just wondering if anyone else out there has been diagnosed with osteoporosis and still is training and competing in triathlons? If so, are you on any of the meds or taking a natural approach for your condition? I was diagnosed last year but went the natural way with supplements, eating foods enriched in calcium and increase in weight lifting. I also tried to get in as much walking in addition to my running. My last test showed my hips got slightly better but my spine worse. The doctors are really pressing me to go on meds. At first I was in denial as how can this happen to me, I have been running for 26 years and doing triathlons for 12 years. Now I am depressed and fearful, which is keeping me from my regular training. Any comments will be welcomed.
Quote Reply
Re: osteoporosis [runner45] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pm'ed you

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am the same - only 28 yo. I wasn't absorbing much/any of the Ca I was eating my whole life because of a gluten intolerance. I have this figured out now, changed my diet, and am increasing in bone density now... It might be worth getting checked out for a wheat allergy if you have no other reason for osteoporosis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
look into magnesium. this has to be balanced w/ Ca (according to a chiro/kinesiologist/nutrition doctor that I see)
and of course Vitamin D.
Quote Reply
Re: osteoporosis [notevenslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks and I found out I was not taking enough calcium and Vitamin D according to this new dr. that I am seeing. I am suppose to be taking 1500 mg of ca and 1000 mg of D3.
Thanks for all the responses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you may already know this, but I'll repeat it just in case: the body can only absorb 500mg of Ca at a time. so split it up into 3 doses if you're not already.

tc

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: osteoporosis [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, and I also found out that you should not take it at the same time you eat something high in calcium, like yogurt or milk products. Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi - I PM'd you. My last DEXA showed the same result - hip went up, spine didn't. Let me know if you have any questions I can help with. Good luck :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found this site, very good information and well-presented I thought: http://courses.washington.edu/bonephys/index.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate seeing pictures of what bone loss actually looks like... <shudders>

Quote Reply
Re: osteoporosis [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wait until med school....

;-)

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the website. The part where many mistakes are made in reading the test results. Very interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: osteoporosis [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've given up on med school... I am sick of school and studying.

Quote Reply