Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

not training - talk me off the ledge
Quote | Reply
IMFL Nov 1

I've been sick (common cold)

Days with no training: Oct 11, 12, 13, 16, 17, 20, 21, 22, 23. I have not gone this many days with no exercise whatsoever in years and years. This can't be good.

NINE DAYS since I've been sick I haven't done jack squat. I started feeling a little better late last week, did a 1/2 marathon on the 18th (stupid, yes, but I had a PR), swam Sunday, and then my sore throat came back with a vengeance.

I am taking my bike to TriBike Transport drop off tomorrow. So no more bike. I might hop on the trainer for an easy spin tonight.

#1) am I screwed? I go back and forth from thinking I'm screwed to I am going to be rested and ready to go on race day.

#2) should I try and pick it back up? I know not a lot since it is taper time, but should I do some light training to get back into gear or just keep resting?

I am going to Masters this Sunday. And I'll go to the OWS in Florida. I have nothing else planned. But my taper started a week early thanks to this virus. So... now I am feeling like I am not going to be prepared.

Am I being stupid? help.
Quote Reply
Re: not training - talk me off the ledge [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the big training is in the books. I wouldn't worry about it and just do some short stuff until you go. You know what they say...it's better to be undertrained than overtrained.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldnt worry to much! Short workouts and REST!!!!!!
All the work is done. The best part of this is its forcing you to rest..
I did IMF last year-was also sick for two weeks before. Week in Florida I only swam for about 25 minutes.And only because I was scared to death!
Well i tell you I had a Pr of 25 mintues and probably would have been more if I wasnt injured!
Relax rest and have the race of your life! Its a great race,
Karen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
#1) am I screwed? I go back and forth from thinking I'm screwed to I am going to be rested and ready to go on race day.

#2) should I try and pick it back up? I know not a lot since it is taper time, but should I do some light training to get back into gear or just keep resting?

If it's any consolation, tons of people think exactly this in the build up to to IM (especially #1) so you're pretty much where you're supposed to be!

As other posters have said, don't try to make up for lost time, getting yourself hurt or sick again isn't going to help.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: not training - talk me off the ledge [kasdas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to ALL of the replies. It helps to hear from people who have "been there, done that". It is just hard to go from 20 hour weeks to ZERO. That big zilch. I feel like a slug. The good news is I am way ahead of where I usually am at work .... all of this extra time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you Prd the 1/2 marathon on a lot of rest. Think how well you'll do at IMF with even more rest.

Relax, you'll be fine. get healthy, then when you are healthy, do short stuff to remind your muscles what it's like to swim bike and run. Nothing you do now will help, but could hurt your race.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: not training - talk me off the ledge [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, good point. I am feeling better now. Deep breath.

Getting psyched about tri-bike transport tomorrow. I'll be seeing my bike off! Next time I see him, we'll be in Florida. Oh man oh man oh man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fitness takes a long time to deteriorate. Get yourself healthy, the important thing is not to be sick on race day. And then you will be absolutely fine.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know, I think it's also part of the training ritual that we get sick right in the middle or just at the end of the big, hard, long weeks. We just simply sap our bodies of all energy, willpower and extra oomph that the immune system needs to knock out any lucky germ that just comes along at that time. I've got Silverman a week after IMF so I've basically been in the same boat - wimpy, tired, fighting germs left and right. Especially if we live in climates where it's full-on fall and we're battling the rollercoaster of temperatures, rain and season change...ick. (It's POURING here today)

Just keep hanging in there...one week from tomorrow and you're good to go!! I'm shipping my beast out on Monday or Tuesday, so this is my last "bonding and pep talk" weekend with the bike...we reunite in the desert!! Just keep thinking happy thoughts, resting and some short workouts!! Have a great day!

AW
Quote Reply
Re: not training - talk me off the ledge [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SW PA here, so it's fall all the way. I managed an easy 30 min spin on the trainer last night -- a farewell to the bike. And I did a short 3 mile run this morning-- a thank you gift to my dog who has been very patient with me since I've been sick. So far so good.

Good luck at Silverman!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if you ever heard of the Carlos Lopes effect. He was the Portugese runner who won the 1984 Olympic Marathon. He was hit by a car a week before the race. This forced him to rest, and the result was a Gold Medal. This also recently was attributed to the World Record by Haile Gebresellasis in the Marathon, who had some calf problems a week prior to the race in Berlin. Many athletes such as yourself do too much, which makes sense, you would not be an athlete if you didn't push yourself.

However, rest is a core component of training. Your cold is your body telling you that you are on the edge. Top track athletes take anywhere from 2 weeks to a month off every year.

Its well known that the key to training and improvement is to build up to an intense level, back off to let the body adapt and then build again.

Good luck!

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply
Re: not training - talk me off the ledge [cervelo-van] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. This is encouraging.

I am not particularly fast. I just want to make sure I go 100% and give it all I have.

The month off is not a bad plan ... just not right before your A race. :)
Quote Reply