Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

new to aero position
Quote | Reply
I've been sporting a new ride (P2C) for a few weeks now. Its my first tri bike and this aero position is new to me. Had a fit done on it so it should be ok fit wise. But didn't ask the males at the LBS the following questions, not necessarily out of embarrassment, but I figured they weren't so familiar with the way us ladies are built.

1. Where exactly should my weight be when in the aero position?
2. If the answer is "entirely on your pubic bone as opposed to your butt bones" (which seems to be the case with me)- does this EVER get comfortable. I came off a 3.5 hour ride thinking there is now way I could endure this pain for 112 miles.
3. Does it just take time to get used to this?

So, those of you with the "perfect seat" does that mean it never hurts, or just hurts less? So far I've been riding in bike shorts-I can't imaging doing this in tri shorts for a HIM!

Yes I have a woman's saddle.
Quote Reply
Re: new to aero position [eanne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a guy, but, same principles apply. You should be sitting on your sit bones, not your pelvic bone (even in the aero position). You put your sit bones on the seat and roll your hips forward, while still making contact with the sit bones. See link below.

http://www.epicidiot.com/.../bicycle_saddles.htm

The "peferct seat" means it will hurt less. It never gets to the point where it feels like a Lazy Boy, but, when you have the perfect saddle, you will be able to sit and ride for over 100 miles.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, weight should be on your sit bones even in the aero position. When I first bought a tri bike, equipped with a men's tri specific saddle, I was quickly convinced that riding in the aero position was the most effective form of birth control ever invented. Changing fore/aft position, height, and/or saddle tilt didn't help.

So I went shopping for women's cutout saddle & tried several, either road specific or tri specific. The cutouts solved the pressure problem, but the women's saddles were too wide for my hips/sit bones. I ended up with a basic no name men's minimalist cutout saddle (this one) and that instantly solved both problems (pressure and saddle width). For me, it's super comfy & I've now ridden discomfort-free in the aero position for up to 100 miles, using bike shorts or tri shorts....which led to more shopping to make sure I had a backup of the saddle that worked for me. (Note that I do not like this saddle for my road bike...the saddle has words stitched near the back of the sit area & that is not a good thing when you're sitting in a more upright position.)

That saddle may not be the answer for you, but a cutout saddle or a saddle with a depression in the right place should go a long way to making you happy once again :) Enjoy your P2C!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW it took me 6 months before i could ride aero for 3.5 hours without pain, so you sound like you are way ahead of the game.

the right saddle and shorts also go a long way in making this more fun. and its diff for everyone, just getting a womens saddle, or mens saddle really means nothing, as a guy, one of the most comfortable saddles i have ever been on is a womens specific race saddle (bontrager race lite WSD), it was a little to wide in the front for me, but other than that pretty much perfect.

ride for a bit and possibly check out some new saddles.

i know a decent amount of women that ride the fizik arione tri lineup, as well as the specalized toupe even though they are both designed as mens saddles.

Quote Reply
Re: new to aero position [newbz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate everyones input. Sounds like I need to learn mechanical challenge #2 (after changing a flat)- putting on a saddle. Maybe I should have just stuck with being a runner. Its much less complicated. And cheaper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as we're talking about being new to the aero positon (me, too), I have a related follow up-question. I too had my bike fit when I go it not long ago, but I seem to be wearing out my shoulders something awful. They feel almost like they are bearing my full body weight and I can't stay completely aero more then 20 to 30 minutes at a shot w/o having to get the weight off them. While it can be a nice distraction from saddle discomfort, I'd really rather do away with the problem. Is this normal and it will just go away, and/or do I just need to spend some more time with the shoulder weight exercise? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: new to aero position [sheracr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sheracr -- when you had your bike fitting, did you make a drastic change in your position? That could be the reason for your discomfort. Your bike fit may have identified your "optimal" position, but if your original position was quite far from the newly defined optimal position, you may have to work your way into that new position gradually so that your body (joints, ligament, muscles, etc.) can adjust, a few mm at a time.

Also, for anyone riding in the aero position, a great way to improve your core strength in the aero position is to do "yoga style planks" on your elbows, with elbow/arm position basically mimicking the width of your arms in the aero/tt bike position. Sounds crazy, but it works :) work up to 3 sets of 10 reps, each rep is a 10 second hold.
Quote Reply
Re: new to aero position [cowbella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duly noted and the "plank" exercise is hereby incorporated into my training regimen. I tossed in a few extra shoulder execrcies to boot. I have been trying to take the bike out for longer stints, thingking I'll eventually get my obstinate muscles and ligaments used to it. Thanks, cowbella, for the help!
Quote Reply
Re: new to aero position [sheracr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sheracr said: I seem to be wearing out my shoulders something awful

I think we need a more holistic approach to the shoulders. Riding aero and doing freestyle swim workouts will promote your shoulders rounding forward. What you should be adding are both stretches or light weights to promote the shoulders going backward, to balance all that forward stuff.

Just simply try squeezing your shoulder blades together as if you were trying to make them touch, and you'll see what I mean by needing to counterbalance all that forward stuff. I'd also recommend more backstroke to try to open up the shoulders.

If you need specific ideas for stretches to get your shoulders back where they belong, post again and I'll respond with a few ideas.

BrokenSpoke

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"it took me 6 months before i could ride aero "

I tried for five years and could never get comfy so converted to a more "multi-sport" 76ish or so degree position. A little slacker, a little higher in the front, and for me a little faster and a lot more comfortable.

There is no getting away from the fact that ridng low and steep puts more strain on the taint and the neck. Fitness has nothing to do with it - some people just can't get comfortable riding that way. Anybody with continuing taint or neck issues should reconsider.
Quote Reply
Re: new to aero position [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i can ride aero for a long time now, and am much lower in front than before, but i needed to find the right frame, saddle, and bar combo to get me there. i am now riding around 77-78 degrees, with a decent amount of drop, and am very comfortable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My neck and crotch were only good to 40 kms on my QR Kilo or Cervelo P2K despite different saddles and FIST fitting. Any longer distance and I began to hurt. I never tried the Adamo saddle, which might have worked according to reviews, but my neck always hurt despite additional strength and flexibility exercises. I've been faster on my Kestrel Talon, I assume not because the bike would be any faster than the P2K, but because I'm more comfortable on it.
Quote Reply