Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

n00b question: tri shorts
Quote | Reply
Hello ladies,

I'm a road racer, and recently got a concussion which has pretty much nixed the rest of my race season as I can't risk another crash and head injury. I'm eyeing a triathlon in early september (my first!!) and providing I don't drown in the open water swim, I'm not sure how to manage a 20km ride.... without the diaper pad I'm used to wearing. I usually wear Sugoi FX or FXE chamois shorts - super thick, firm padding and i LOVE it. I usually ride 100km+ with no problem at all, and they save me in time trials as well. I own one pair of tri shorts (also Sugoi), and I'm having a hard time coming to terms with doing an all out effort on the bike in them (I usually wear them under a skirt when I'm commuting...).

So I guess my question is: do you get used to this teeny tiny padding?!?! I'm all for training super hard for this triathlon and giving it my best shot, but I don't want it to come between my and... my personal life with my boyfriend. Any advice or personal experience is welcome :)
Quote Reply
Re: n00b question: tri shorts [mrak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes you get used to it. Depending on how you'll be riding you might want a differet saddle. Sitting 'up' on a bike put pressure in different areas vs being forward/aero.
Quote Reply
Re: n00b question: tri shorts [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well... I'm used to the aero position. I love stage races and time trials, so I'm used to dropping spacers, adding aero bars and scrunching up into a little ball. But I'm used to those time trials being the most unforgiving part of cycling. I use the SMP stratos saddle, which worked nicely when inched forward and tilted down a bit. Am I supposed to just layer on the chamois cream to avoid chafing, and hope my sit-bones get used to the weight?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't use chamois cream. I found a saddle that's comfy in the aero position, I'm now pretty far forward on the tip of the saddle, vs trying to sit back on the saddle. And shorts that are tight enough that they don't rub/move. My sit bones are a little sore after the first ride back after a layoff, so yes, they get used to it... just like they did when you first started cycling, just in a different area. I've never had chafing problems after I found a saddle that was truly comfortable (not just better than before).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you train in the tri shorts, you will get used to them. I rarely use chamois cream, but it will probably help; especially at first. I've been doing triathlons for a long time - since before we had tri shorts - and so I've done ironman distance races in only a swimsuit. Even then, I got used to it. Start wearing the tri shorts for one workout per week and then start building up your time in them. And remember that just like cycling shorts, all brands of tri shorts are different - try a few different brands until you find one that fits your body type.
Have fun!
Quote Reply