Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

massage
Quote | Reply
Hi Guys-
I just had a question about post-race massages. I'm running my first half-marathon in 4 weeks. I have a gift certificate to a spa that I've been holding on to for the right moment and I figured I would use it for a massage sometime after my race and I was just wondering how long after the race should I wait (or not wait) to get a massage? The next day? A week? The problem also is that the race is on a Monday (Memorial Day), so if I want to go the next day, I'd have to take off work.
Thanks for the input!
Quote Reply
Re: massage [simple2525] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could get it right away if you wanted. I like the immediate post-race/workout massage. I would be careful about getting a massage at a spa though. Some spa's don't have appropriately educated masseuse's (up here you have to do 2 and a half years to become a registered massage therapist "rmt" and there's a ridiculous amount of anatomy/physiology so i know anyone sporting their "rmt" is solid). Just be careful of that one. If they rub you the wrong way, it could actually cause damage.

Quote | Reply
Funny, just this morning my husband and I were talking about this. However, I've found that I actually prefer to get a massage before the event - say on Thursday night if the race is on Sunday - to help get out any last minute kinks. Then just some easy swimming/hot tubing afterwards to get the lactic acid out of my body.

I'll also second what cuds said about making sure the person is qualified for athletic massages. My husband had a "spa" massage right before his brother's wedding (bride wanted the guys to be manicured and massaged before the big day) and he could barely walk afterwards. He was in more pain after that massage then after any of his HIM or IM races!

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with another poster, I usually get a myofacial (sp?) release the Thur before a Sun race to get the kinks out. Then, I will try and get in on Tue following a Sun race for a deeper tissue massage.

Also concur with the position regarding certification. Have been going to my therapist for over a year now. She has a few certifications in sports/rehab/therapudic massage techniques. She now works at a foo-foo type spa, but, still does the sports therapy massages. Make sure you check the certs of the person performing the massage.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will echo what the other ladies said. I like to get my massage before the event to work out the kinks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me it depends on the race and how I'm recovering from it. I like to wait until I can tolerate a decent amount of pressure and really let myself get into the massage. For hard races on Sunday, I tend to do sometime in the Wednesday-Friday range. I have a regular massage therapist though, so she knows me well, and I trust her to know what will help the most.

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with what the others have said about a spa massage vs. a bona fide sports massage.

That being said, I find the morning after to be a great time for a massage, as it seems to be when I'm most sore. IT can be a huge relief. You may find that its just as good later the same day, so you don't have to take a day off.
Quote Reply