Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

looking for a better helmet
Quote | Reply
Until recently, I have ridden a road bike for all of my races. For the last year or so, I have been wearing a unisex Giro road helmet, and it has worked fine. However, last week I got a tri bike (woohoo!) I still keep my head up and looking forward, but with the aero position, the helmet keeps riding down over my forehead until it rests on my glasses. I am thinking that a women's specific helmet might work better.

Does anyone have a road or tri helmet that they really like? I prefer something in a light color and with good ventilation for the heat.
Quote Reply
Re: looking for a better helmet [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a POC helmet - super lightweight and well ventilated. I don't have a tri bike, so I can't comment on how it would feel in aerobars and if you'd have the same issue.

Are you sure your helmet is tight enough, if it's slipping down?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a new helmet - specialized prevail. They do a women's version. The helmet is super light and VERY ventilated.
There's a dial in the back so you can have it fit your head very well.
I got neon orange because I want to be SEEN. I have noticed hi viz seems to make a difference in my neck of the woods. But I think it also comes in white and such.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Women have slightly smaller heads than men,

If your helmet is slipping down in the front, it is most likely too large.

Make sure you measure your head circumference accurately, and look at helmet sizing carefully. Helmets that come in S/M/L/XL likely work better than anything "one size" (they will be too large for a woman usually).

Women "specific" helmets are the same as mens, just with a pretty pink/flower design on the outside shell.

If your head is quite small, you may want to look at youth/junior helmets.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: looking for a better helmet [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree that most women's helmets are just following the "pink and shrink" trend these days. They might not have better sizing for your needs.

I've been riding in a Rudy project Sterling for a few years and it fits my small head perfectly. My boyfriend also just got a Kask and I've tried it on, and it's very adjustable and not overly large.

Both of these are $$, unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think if it's sliding on you, try looking at a different brand or model... if it fits, it shouldn't move -- even if the strap's not done up.

If you're in the market for an aero helmet, I am in love with my Garneau P-09. Pricey, but it's super comfortable and I've never felt overheated in it. I don't even notice I'm wearing it. Also love the visor, for the expanded visibility (you're not looking over/around the frame and arms of sunglasses) and for the fact that you don't have sunnies sliding down your nose when you sweat and your head is down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Measure the circumference of your head and use that for sizing purposes. Also, the shape of your head--circular vs. oval--can influence how well a helmet fits. Finally, the way in which the straps are fixed to the helmet can influence the fit.

For my small, oval shaped head I've found that the Giro helmets (just about any model--I've worn the Advantage and Foray, less expensive cousin of the Synthe). Some of the Giro helmets come in MIPS versions, which I would buy if I were to do over. For racing I've settled on the Specialized Tri Evade. I tried the "new" Specialized TT helmet. Because the straps are fixed to the helmet, I couldn't make it work for me.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply