Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

long training bike rides & and "nature calls"
Quote | Reply
I recently read a race report from a new HIMer who mentioned she relieved herself a few times on the bike but didn't stop...
This is news to me.
Is this something that people do even on training rides?
If you are doing a training ride in a group, is there etiquette for such a thing?

How many of you have "practiced" this (peeing on your bike) before?

Thanks for having a Womens board - I don't think I could ask this in another forum.

s.m
Quote Reply
Re: long training bike rides & and "nature calls" [space.monkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As much of a pee'er i am, It will not happen on the nike for me
While racing or training, I will drop the bike and park it behind a bush because it is bad enough smelling oxidized sweat let alone it mixed with urine.

Quote | Reply
in a race, yes, as long as there's nobody within eyesight behind (I'm usually round back this is no problem :>). That said, a pee toward the end of the swim of Oly or shorter will usually keep the urge at bay until the end of the race.

training, never. It's a pain but i'll always try to find a public convenience or a sheltered spot in the woods. Not just for the privacy but because i don't want that much nasty on the saddle.
Quote Reply
Re: long training bike rides & and "nature calls" [space.monkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race, yes. Training, no.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no and no.
Though in my last IM, it wasn't for lack of trying. It was pouring rain and I figured it was therefore no big deal. Couldn't do it.
Never had a reason to "go" in olympic or sprint
Quote Reply
Re: long training bike rides & and "nature calls" [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mmrocker13 wrote:
Race, yes. Training, no.

This^^^^

I did practice once on a training ride, before trying it in a race, and yes, I was alone. Couple of tricks: 1) Do NOT wear socks. 2) Remove any water bottles from your seat tube and stick them behind your seat -- you don't want to pee on them. 3) It's easiest on a slight downhill, where you can coast without having to worry too much about bike handling -- just stand up on the pedals and go.
Quote Reply
Re: long training bike rides & and "nature calls" [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eileen wrote:
mmrocker13 wrote:
Race, yes. Training, no.

Same. Though I would have to think twice if it weren't raining....it's almost an automatic reaction if it's raining. Surprisingly, it's really only been an issue at HIM distance in the rain.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would only do this in a race, and only one that is half or longer. I've only actually been able to do it once in a race though- though I have tried several other times- so maybe it would help to practice, but I really don't want to have to clean my saddle when I don't absolutely have to. I agree, wait until a downhill or some other time when you are going fast- first of all, it will be easier to "relax" when you're not pedaling, and second, the faster you're going, the smaller the chance (or proportion) of it running down your leg. Just make sure there's no one right behind you when you do this, or they will not be too happy :)

It's actually been easier for me to pee during the run than the bike during my long races. Desperate times- to each her own. Just make sure you clean your shoes and anything else affected well, and soon afterward, and then let the items air dry outside- that seems to help preventing any lingering smell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Twitter | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
happily I have never had to pee on the bike or run but no I would not wet myself

pee swimming? sure - pool, open water all works
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't done it in training but yes in a race. Definitely look behind you to make sure the coast is clear and then I just stood on the pedals off to one side of my seat and relaxed. Generally it just runs down your leg into your shoe. If you have trouble "relaxing" and letting it flow, it sometimes helps to grab water from an aid station and splash it over yourself....feeling/seeing water seems to mentally aid in getting in the mood to pee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done it in both, you gotta practice everything in training before racing, right? Best time to do it during training is on a rainy ride, that way the water washes everything off and your shoes won't stink to high heaven. It's sometimes easier to relax and let it flow when you are coasting down a hill. Never peed on the bike in a group training setting; would suggest going into the woods for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never done it on the bike, though I have read many race reports (especially from pros) about it. I usually pull over and pee; I try to find a bush, but the more I train the less shame I have about peeing on the side of a road. :)

Beth @ http://www.racingrobsons.com/beth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know that you have to practice EVERYTHING in training...

I suspect the biggest mental hurdle is peeing fully clothed while standing up (we are womens after all, & generally don't do this as much as the mens). Put on your race clothes & go have a pee in the back yard or shower ( before you turn the water on) and I reckon you'll be mentally in the right place, without having to put your shoes or bike through race day rigours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HINT...HINT

Quote Reply
Re: long training bike rides & and "nature calls" [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment.
I did NOT know that people peed in the pool until I read it here.
Seems to come down to comfort.
Perhaps as a newer triathlete, my 2 min pitstop isn't going to be the deciding factor between finishing and a podium spot.
But I'll rethink the issue if it begins to get in the way of some top place finishes. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha very interesting comments. I made a few personal dont's when I started this 5 years ago. Never ever urinate on yourself outside the water, don't have an accident on the run, and don't puke. My husband peed on one if his ironmans during the bike, and his shoes were never the same, they stunk too. I am not in it for glory as I am too slow but I want to keep it fun. I just try to make up time on the bike if I stop, and if I don't feel well I slow down and figure out how to get it done. I always try to pee when finishing the swim portion though. Wetsuit pee no problem but I did have to practice to learn how to do this while still swimming. It is a personal choice and everyone has different comfort levels

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up
Laura
Quote Reply
Re: long training bike rides & and "nature calls" [beeotch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there's actually little chance much urine will get on your shoe if you pee on the bike. If you are wearing shorts, that will absorb some of it, so it won't go straight down, then what does escapt the shorts will trickle down your leg some and be blown off as you are riding forward. try it and see how much actually gets to your knee or below. Or just think about it.
Quote Reply
Re: long training bike rides & and "nature calls" [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just did the vineman full on Saturday. I got to half way point and there was a long line for the two porta potties. I did not want to wait so I kept going. The roads for that race are horrendous so it was torture. I tried to stand up and pee but then I thought I would have to sit in a wet diaper for another 3 hours and I just couldn't do it. I almost cried with joy when I finally got to go. I just couldn't bring myself to do it on the bike but boy I did suffer for awhile. I will try not to wait to go until the half way point where it is busy due to special needs bags anyways, but go earlier. I guess I just don't have it in me!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up
Laura
Quote Reply