Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

lacerations/welts at shorts seam line :(
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I went on my first beginner tri a couple days ago--- shorter than a sprint even: 300m, 7m, 2m. I came home and saw welts or long (6 inch) cuts on my legs where the shorts would have ended-- or where the seams would have been. The cuts were super thin, as if a fishing line had cut into my upper thighs. Has this ever happened to anyone? Does it get better if I use Bodyglide there? These are shorts with a gorgeous print on them -- hate to say goodbye to them. They are not tight on the legs normally, but perhaps when I ride they chafe? Any one else experience this? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: lacerations/welts at shorts seam line :( [mzappella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do the legs of the shorts have a silicone gripper band? I've had sporadic issues with silicone grippers - if you don't pull the legs of the shorts up enough and they end up getting tugged on as you pedal or run, then that micro-rubbing has caused irritation. Making sure I hike the legs up a bit so there's no gap between my skin and the shorts in the pad area solves that, but Body Glide could also help.

Additionally, I once ended up with lines of water blisters under the silicone grippers of a pair of tri shorts when I wore them under a skirt for cycle commuting; I was wearing the shorts for close to 15hrs and my skin didn't like that at all, apparently. I haven't worn them for that long since because it took over a week to heal. I have found shorts that use a tight band of lycra instead of a gripper.

Edited to add: if the shorts have a non-silicone gripper (elastic threads), they may have latex in them. Any possibility of a latex allergy?

Good luck solving the problem - cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Jun 23, 14 11:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, sorry to hear - that sounds awful! Second, if they were a reputable brand, it might be worth reaching out to the company. Even if they can't "fix" the pair you love, you might get a new different pair to try or at least a refund. That sounds like a major design flaw, when tri shorts are made to be treated brutally.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: lacerations/welts at shorts seam line :( [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:
Do the legs of the shorts have a silicone gripper band?

but Body Glide could also help.

if the shorts have a non-silicone gripper (elastic threads), they may have latex in them. Any possibility of a latex allergy?

Good luck solving the problem - cheers!

-mistress k

These are all good ideas. Thanks so much. I looked for silicone grippers and I didn't see any.
As for the latex--- hmmm I don't know but that sure is a possibility.

I wore them today to a openwater workout under my wetsuit and no problem or irritation.
I will try Bodyglide next time.
I am new to all this, so thanks so much for the tips. :)
Quote Reply
Re: lacerations/welts at shorts seam line :( [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agilecipher wrote:
First off, sorry to hear - that sounds awful! Second, if they were a reputable brand, it might be worth reaching out to the company. Even if they can't "fix" the pair you love, you might get a new different pair to try or at least a refund. That sounds like a major design flaw, when tri shorts are made to be treated brutally.

Thank you so much Agilecipher. :) I'm going to see how the next week goes using them. But you're right-- that if it happens again, I'll let the company know and see what they can do. Thank you. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did you have a paper race number on your top tube that may have been flapping in the wind?
i once had strange paper cut-like lacerations and i figured out it was from the race number.
Quote Reply