Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
just curious... bike tech topics
Quote | Reply
Do any of the rest of you read some of the technical bike posts in the main forum, and think 'what the heck are they talking about?' I just read Dan's article on wheels, and the post, and I just feel stupid, because I have one set of wheels, I race on them, I train on them (not that I wouldn't like to have some nice race wheels), I've never broken a spoke in all my years of riding. I would like to understand more of the bike tech talk, but it usually starts over my head, so I feel like there is no hope.

I guess I feel pretty good that I can change tires, adjust the deraileurs, make small fit adjustments. But there is so much more to know.

Maybe we could recruit some of the bike techies to write some really dumbed-down posts or articles for us so we can actually learn and understand some of this stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: just curious... bike tech topics [cstine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, if you can adjust the deraileurs, you're a step ahead of me! I've tried. I've just given up. I need "Bike Maintenance for Dummies". Seriously!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a great idea, I will send a PM to slowman and Herbert about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never read them, but since riding on the track, I've had to learn how to swap out gears and change the chain.

But honestly, that's what my bike shop guys are for.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ladies, Herbert would like some examples of topics that we would like presented in a non-technical manner.
Quote Reply
Re: just curious... bike tech topics [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How to do the same tune-up the bike shop charges me for. Maybe turn it into a series. I love my LBS but if I am in a pinch I'd like to be able to run through a quick tune-up on my own.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will go through some of the tech topics that I have had trouble understanding and find things I'd like described in a more elementary way.

And I understand CLM's point, I do use my LBS to do work on my bike if its beyond me, but that doesn't mean I don't want to understand what they are doing, and ask intelligent questions when I have them do work, or when I want to purchase some new gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd LOVE to know how to adjust the gearing between my race wheels and my training wheels! If my race wheels are on and shift right, the shifting is off when I put my training wheels back on. I've tried to watch the guys at the LBS do it (and even had one of them sort of show me) and I just can't seem to get it right.
Quote Reply
Re: just curious... bike tech topics [Nemostrin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the point about knowing how to adjust derailleurs when you change wheels or cassettes. I don't like having to depend on the LBS all the time for this easy change, and it makes it easier for race day decisions.
Quote Reply
Re: just curious... bike tech topics [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seattle ladies, i will tuneup/fix your bikes for beer or vegan baked goods. just sayin'

I will also happily teach anyone anything about fixing their own bike.

my severely neglected blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The range of technical knowledge is quite wide and that is true for the main forum too. What Jess here suggested is a great starting point. Most areas know have growing women's cycling teams and organizations and that is a great place to get your feet wet. In these groups there is always someone more experienced who is willing to share knowledge.

Plus your local bike shops should not be seen as the "enemy." Some bike shop owners just may need a little nudge. Get a few ladies together and see if the shop won't hold a specific women's series of clinics to do some basic maintenance etc. They can most likely get local press too and drive more women to the store.

But to go back to the question at hand. Give us a few more thoughts what you'd like to see.

Herbert
Quote Reply
Re: just curious... bike tech topics [FeS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I second the point about knowing how to adjust derailleurs when you change wheels or cassettes. I don't like having to depend on the LBS all the time for this easy change, and it makes it easier for race day decisions.

http://www.parktool.com/.../readhowto.asp?id=64

the parktool website is always quite good for this sort of howto, in the end though it's practice-practice-practice just like everything else: first time you try it you'll take half an hour and be frustrated, 2nd time maybe 20 minutes, and so on. A bike mechanic might take a minute to do this, but then again I can do it for free and learning new things is always good to do. If you get to a point where you really can't figure it out you can always pack up the bike and take it to the store, which is what you'd have done in the first place, so no harm/no foul...
Quote Reply
Re: just curious... bike tech topics [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Get a few ladies together and see if the shop won't hold a specific women's series of clinics to do some basic maintenance etc.

I think I have seen a few stores around here do basic bike maintenance clinics (not women specific) on the other hand if you don't frequent the store it's kind of hard to know because they usually are not super advertised...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can talk to the owner of the shop I work at about doing something like this. I'd be happy to spend an afternoon working with some womens on improving their mechanical skills.

my severely neglected blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, my local bike shop is always willing to help even a slightly ignorant person like myself with any advice I need, questions I have, going over maintenance they do, or show me how to do something myself.

But I don't just drop by my lbs every day, like I do slowtwitch! SO I like to read the articles, maybe I will learn something. Many things I would never eventhink to ask my lbs if I was there, because they are questions that just pop up when I read something.

Example: from the wheels article, as I read, I had these questions: why is hand built cheaper than factory built - seems backwards to me what is laced 20f/24r (ok I figured this out, but it was pure luck, because I had to read it 5 times before I got it) regular J-bend spokes? their goal is to stay round, and straight, true, and in dish (what does 'in dish' mean?) The tire makes a U-shape instead of a hoop-shape (pic please - I can't picture what a hoop shaped tire looks like on a rim) related main forum post: from http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1979051;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread from the post: Here's what handbuilt training wheels say: "I'm serious about training, and will use the most reliable and readily repairable wheels I can. In the rare event that I break a spoke 50 miles from home, I'll loosen my brake calipers and ride on. And if you are with me when your wheel tacos when you break one of those 20 bladed aero spokes, I'll ride on while you get out the cell phone to call the missus."

Here's what the machine built and race wheels say, "I'm new to this and don't have enough miles in the saddle to have been stranded with broken spokes and taco-ed wheels. Those fancy low-spoke count wheels look fancier and therefore must be better, and, most importantly, I want to look good."

my question: why does handbuilt say I can break a spoke, loosen my brake calipers and ride on? I don't get it? I know I could ask on the post, but I'm just using this as an example of how many of the tech articles and posts assume a level of expertise, which probably seem obvious to many, but are not. ============== I'd also like to know more about power meters/powertap - I want to know how best to outfit all 3 bikes I own (road, tri, mtb) with a power meter setup, with least cost, but best product. Are their components of a power meter that can switch between bikes, but components that I have to have special for each bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"Why is hand built cheaper than factory built - seems backwards to me."

That most likely depends completely on the quality.

"their goal is to stay round, and straight, true, and in dish (what does 'in dish' mean?)"

In dish means it is correctly centered in between the chainstays, versus sitting too far to the left or the right

"The tire makes a U-shape instead of a hoop-shape (pic please - I can't picture what a hoop shaped tire looks like on a rim)"

If we were to take a cross section out of the rim and tire, it may be better to describe it as a cone shape versus a regular light bulb shape

"I'd also like to know more about power meters/powertap - I want to know how best to outfit all 3 bikes I own (road, tri, mtb) with a power meter setup, with least cost, but best product. Are their components of a power meter that can switch between bikes, but components that I have to have special for each bike?"

I defer this one to someone else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am trying to replace the chain on my bike now. I am using the old chain as a guide for length but what if I didn't have it anymore. How would I know what length it should be and what is the best/easiest way to shorten it.

Thanks tons
Love this
myshenaniganz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I'd also like to know more about power meters/powertap - I want to know how best to outfit all 3 bikes I own (road, tri, mtb) with a power meter setup, with least cost, but best product. Are their components of a power meter that can switch between bikes, but components that I have to have special for each bike?"

You don't really have any options for MTB'ing that are applicable to the other two. You can get a dedicated MTB SRM crankset or have a MTB rear wheel built around PowerTap's 135mm wide (the width of rear dropouts on a MTB is 135mm vs. 130mm for road bikes) ISO (6-bolt) rotor hub. But in both cases, what you have on your MTB is not going to work on your other bikes. That being said, most people who don't race MTBs for a living probably don't need a powermeter on their mtb. It's just not nearly as beneficial for a whole variety of reasons. So your best bet is really just to get something that would work on your road-going bikes. A powertap sl (wireless) would be the easiest to swap between your bikes. That's what I recommend. You can have it built up onto a more durable rear race wheel that you'd be happy to ride everyday, or you can shell out the cash for a dedicated training wheel and a dedicated race wheel. I'd be happy to give more answers on what the best options are there if you want.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: just curious... bike tech topics [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't think a powermeter would even be useful on my mtb since riding the mtb is so variable in the efforts. But I thought if one could move between all my bikes, it would be a fun thing to have.

But one to switch between the road and tri bike would be great. I'll read up on the powertap sl wireless, and if I have some questions I'll re-reply to your post.

thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What did you want to know about the PowerTap? I'd be happy to chip in on the effort to help make explanations a bit easier to read.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, don't have a lot of time to read all of the responses here. gotta pick up my daughter from school. I for one would be thrilled with some tech stuff directed straight to us creative sided thinkers (women). I just purchased a multi-chain tool and have no clue as to how to repair a chain if it snaps. The front derailer I can figure with some book help, buuuut....more help pluuuuuzeee!!!

N~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually just drop my bike off at my coach's shop or have the BF look at it, but before I had those options and was paying for bike mechanics, I wanted to know:

1. How to adjust the derailleurs
2. how to adjust the brakes (mine were always slightly opened if you left it up to me since all the way closed they rubbed the wheels) so the same pressure on the front and back breaks would cause breaking
3. how to change the chain, when does the chain need changed.
4. I figured out how to change the cassette, but that might be a good idea too.
5. Replacing bar tape is pretty simple if you've seen it done, so that might be a good one too.
6. Last weekend I watched the BF swap out cranks on a bike for me and felt stupid I asked him to do it. It is pretty easy. Not something you'd do all the time, but the week before I was complaining of a creaking bottom bracket and had to take it in for it to be lubed up, something I now know I could have done on my own if necessary.

Also, after 6 months with the powermeter I've finally gotten something out of it. But a primer on riding with power (how to do threshold tests etc..) would be great.

A while ago (last november) bicycling magazine had a 30 day bike care list. It was basically something to tell you to do one thing every day to keep your bike in top shape. At the end of the month you'd cleaned, adjusted, replaced bar tape etc all parts of your bike. I wish I still had the list. I think something like that would be a good idea too. In new cars they give you a guide that says do this maintenance every month, every three months, annually, every 5 years etc. Something like that for bike maintenance would make it really easy to know when to check certain things. I've also gone through 3 headsets on one bike (in 6 years). I have no idea how the mechanics know the headset is bad, or how I should know it's going bad, so a 'test' for certain things would be great too.
Quote Reply
Re: just curious... bike tech topics [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2nd, 3rd,etc. Would love to pick brains of bike-know-hows per ST Men.......oh my!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
why is hand built cheaper than factory built - seems backwards to me

The reason is that "factory built" refers to different wheels than are typically made by hand. Factory built wheels are usually proprietary rims and hubs that work together, usually with odd spokes that one doesn't normally find at the LBS. You pay a premium for exotica that may or may not be a nightmare to maintain: trying to replace a spoke, the rim, etc. Often these "boutique wheels" have very low spoke counts. What that means, and what Dan's article referred to, is that the forces required to keep the wheel true and under tension are spread over fewer spokes. When one breaks, the forces exerted from neighboring spokes will often make the rim go so out of true (picture a taco) that it won't pass between the brake pads: you can't ride it. These wheels may or may not be made by hand (there are machines that will lace, tension, and true a wheel).

On the other hand, hand built wheels are typically made from off-the-shelf components: standard hubs (Shimano, Campy, etc), standard rims (Mavic, etc.), and standard spokes. Repair is simple and readily available parts make for easy replacement when something goes (and no wheel lasts forever: ideally, the wheel will last until the rim wears out from brake pad wear!). Usually these wheels have "normal" spoke counts: 28, 32, or 36 spokes. When one goes, the wheel likely will go out of true only a little, and at most you'll need to open the brake caliper to provide clearance. Ride home, go to LBS, get a spoke the correct length, put it in yourself, bring it to correct tension so the wheel is true again, stress relieve the spoke, and you're done. "Hand built wheels" may or may not be made by hand, too: I think Colorado Cyclist uses a machine for much of the work, yet one pair of Ultegra hub/Open Pro wheels lasted me for many years before I gave them to my 200+lb friend, who also couldn't hurt or put them out of true.

Bike maintenance isn't rocket surgery. Read up on Park Tool's web site. Check out Sheldon Brown's (hallowed be his name) web site for everything you need to know, from beginning stuff to the most advanced, in a very readable style. Buy Jobst Brandt's "The Bicycle Wheel" for everything you need to know about building and maintaining your wheels.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: just curious... bike tech topics [Old and Haggard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you!

that is all great information!!!

Cheryl
Quote Reply

Prev Next