Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

introducing myself
Quote | Reply
This is my first time posting here. I've been a longtime slowtwitch lurker and figured I'd get myself in. I've been doing tris for about 6 years. Currently training for IMLP for the second time (my first was 2006). I'm also battling long-time issues with Iliotibial band syndrome - almost two years.

Just wanted to say hi!

Only those who go too far can possibly find out how far they can go. -T.S. Eliot
Quote Reply
Re: introducing myself [martini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome.

It's great to see how many lurkers the women's forum has pulled out of lurker-dom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hi there. i'm relatively new too and training for my first IM in AZ in November. also suffer with ITB issues. doc sez stretch stretch stretch, that's about all you can do. i have it at the top of the ITB, usually manifests as greater trochanter hip bursitis. my dtr has it at the inside knee. figger it goes with the territory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely welcome on board and thanks for contributing and reading. Don't be shy about being active on all the forum pages. Every contribution is valuable and contributes to the forum and the experience!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome!

I have had some great success with the Trigger Point rollers to help aid my ITB issues. I used a foam roller for years and it kept it at bay, but the Trigger Point stuff has been far more effective. Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will you marry me? ;-)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: introducing myself [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry.... I'm already married to a 4-time Ironman! :)

I am flattered though!

Only those who go too far can possibly find out how far they can go. -T.S. Eliot
Last edited by: martini: Feb 16, 08 16:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome-
As most seem to know or remember I have been injured for almost a year- no racing- ITB which then led to back and hip issues. How are you doing training with ITB? How does that impact you. Right now I barely get 2 min out of it so I haven't tried running since last Oct. Pt doesn't even have me swimming now since my SI is involved- only biking on my indoor training and walking (yawn). How are you doing it????

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: introducing myself [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>greater trochanter hip bursitis.<<

AH HA!

Find an A.R.T. provider and get to him/her ASAP. And then do as little sitting as possible. I got a doctor's note from my chiro/ART guy to get me a desk that I can put up and down, so I sit for awhile, then stand for awhile. Between that and the occasional few ART sessions when things flare up, that has taken care of my hip issues. Stretching and strengthening the glutes (esp. the medial) is also important.

And welcome to martini!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome!

As ironclm mention, finding an ART provider is the way to go. I have troubles with my ITB and when it flares up I go see my ART guy. It is covered under insurance, so that helps. To keep from having to go see him, I do a lot of stretching--hip flexors especially and some glute stregthening. I also try to get a deep tissue massage during my recovery week (every 4 weeks). I would get one more often if I could.
Quote Reply
Re: introducing myself [njtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the advice! When I first had the problem (April of '06), I was at the end of a long run, training for IMLP. At that point, I went to a physical therapist and to an ART provider. I stopped running, other than in races. I got through LP well enough. I don't recall the knee hurting, but I do recall everything hurting! :) Anyway, I made it through, then took some time off. Tried running again in Oct/Nov of '06 - no good. I went to my second PT. Took more time off, then finally went back to my doctor in June of '07. I figured there's got to be something else wrong here. Got an MRI and found a torn meniscus in the same knee. Orthopedist (sp?) said it's not worth doing the surgery. The meniscus tear doesn't hurt me and it's so large of a tear that I'd be left with no meniscus at all. But, perhaps I've been compensating, causing my IT band problems....off to my third physical therapist! This one got me running again - as much as two full miles! So, I decide to sign up for IMLP again. The swimming and cycling do not bother the IT band at all. But, I can only run about 20-24 non-consecutive minutes. I figure that at this point, I'm going to continue doing all the exercises, icing, etc. that I can to simply get me through the marathon. My goal is no longer to go faster or run more - it's simply to finish it again! I do a lot of run/walking to build up some endurance there and I'm getting good time in the pool and on the trainer. I will definitely look into the ART therapy again (it wasn't previously covered by my insurance, but may be now). And, a massage is always a good thing!

I've determined that I'm probably not meant to do long distances. This will be the last one for a while anyway!

Thanks again!

Quote Reply