Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
i have to make a gift...
Quote | Reply
So my hubby and I are doing something new this year. NO purchased gifts. Instead, we are #1 writing a letter to one another and #2 "MAKING" something....

The letter, I got....the 'making something'.....I'm having a hard time coming up with something creative.

In a nutshell, he loves bass fishing, he loves cycling, he loves me & his daughters.

Any and all gift ideas are most appreciated!!

Leslie

Quote | Reply
One of the best gifts my parents got from my brother and I were a set of our handprints in clay that we then painted and hung on the wall. I was probably 3 or 4 years old and they've had them ever since. Seems silly but I really liked them as I got older too. Looking at how small my hands were at one point in my life is really neat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: i have to make a gift... [leslieW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does your hubby do triathlons or any other kind of competitions? You could get a shadow box and make a display of say a race t-shirt where he set a pr, or display a few finisher medals with race numbers, photos - anything that he may have kept as souvenirs from signicant races.

I'm doing this for my daughters this year, seeing as you have daughter too. They are 15 & 19. I'm going to make a shadow box for each of them with their first Christmas dress and shoes displayed with a photo of them in those dresses.

hope that helps and Seasons Greetings!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a quilt

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a digital camera, take some candid pictures of your girls playing together. Get some balloons and let them loose or something like that. Find the best pictures that capture their youth and energy and then frame them in inexpensive frames from the dollar store.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oops sorry about the blank post.

Here is an idea that is totally free. How about a coupon to have you guys provide support on a training ride. And then when you do, do it up really over the top -- like an iced cooler with his favorite drink at the "rest stop"...etc.

We did this for my DH this summer, just as a goof and we all enjoyed it (2 boys + me). AT first I had gotten annoyed that DH was asking me to put out water for him on the course for his LTR. I had just finished training for two ironman's without so much as a peep and he was making a huge deal over a 20 miler. But, at the same time I didn't want him to go drinkless. So rather than get mad, me and the boys made a huge joke of it, driving around with a cooler full of icy Gatroade, cookies, kept surprising him at different spots on his course, fake-fawning (fauxning?) over him, making him laugh and treating him like a spoiled diva, saying "are you SURE you do't need anything..." LOL.

Anyway - for a ride, it might be even more appreciated because one covers more ground.....You could add a custom ice bath after... and so on....enjoy. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been a while since I've logged on here.

I bass fish as well. Big time. More than biking. Do you sew? Something you could make him would be lure wraps with a personal engraving on it. To get an idea here is what Bass Pro's are like http://www.basspro.com/..._100010000_100-10-10 .

Fairly simple to make. Kind of expensive to buy. I know I would like some.

Scott McNamee
Cranks Bicycle Shoppe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GREAT ideas people! Thank you!! Now I just have to "Pick"!

Quote | Reply
I hate my best friend because he raises the bar on everything. He proposed to his now wife in Italy, and they make gifts every year for each other.

One year he made a scrabble top covered coffee table b/c they love the game. She learned to play the guitar and played him "their" song.

This year he is making a music video of their song, but was also considering making her a "life book" which is what she does for the kids she works with (orphans who are seriously ill). Double bonus on the last one as she was adopted.

So some of the above would work.

A coupon book of "go fishing" cards would be cool (he redeems the coupon to go fish for a few hours, or maybe even go for a long ride).

Liked the photo idea too.
Quote Reply
Re: i have to make a gift... [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I hate my best friend because he raises the bar on everything. He proposed to his now wife in Italy, and they make gifts every year for each other.

One year he made a scrabble top covered coffee table b/c they love the game. She learned to play the guitar and played him "their" song.

This year he is making a music video of their song, but was also considering making her a "life book" which is what she does for the kids she works with (orphans who are seriously ill). Double bonus on the last one as she was adopted.

So some of the above would work.

A coupon book of "go fishing" cards would be cool (he redeems the coupon to go fish for a few hours, or maybe even go for a long ride).

Liked the photo idea too.

If that is the case. Make a sweet "bum" fishing rod and some lures to go with it... Now that is a gift to die for.

Scott McNamee
Cranks Bicycle Shoppe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Leslie how about making babies.....:-)

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: i have to make a gift... [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds pretty expensive to me!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: i have to make a gift... [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya know you are right my eldest "baby" is 30 and still not off the payroll LOL :-)

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: i have to make a gift... [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hi Leslie how about making babies.....:-)

Ok now that got a chuckle from me. We have two already; ages 2 1/2 and 4. My hubby and I have a problem agreeing on many things...but MORE babies....THAT we agree on......

he is fixed AND I'm on birth control (as an added "just in case" measure). WE HAVE LEFT THE BABY FACTORY....and don't plan on returning. Now pretending....that is another story. ;)

thanks for the suggestion, despite not going with it, you gave me a big ol' smile for the day and I just LOVE those!

Quote | Reply
Does your husband cook or grill much? Last year I made a "Kiss the (M-dot symbol)" apron. It was the one of the easiest (and cheapest--about $7) things I've ever made. I bought an apron, a bag of red self-adhesive felt letters, and a piece of self-adhesive felt at the craft store. I cut out the M-dot from the felt, stuck the "Kiss the" letters and symbol on the apron, and 5 minutes later, another great gift. If your husband cycles and doesn't do tris, you could do a bike or just "cyclist."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have really easy directions for a rail quilt if you sew.
If not go to PICABOO and make a photo / gift book (will cost money to print) but you put all the pix and stuff together, you can even make it more scrap book like by leaving blanks spots.
I did one for a trip / race my guy did in Canada and it was a big hit. With kids I would think the scrap book thing would be good.
Quote Reply
Re: i have to make a gift... [wickedcheezit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what's a rail quilt?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: i have to make a gift... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a very simple quilt block to make. There is very little piecing but it still comes out looking suprisingly complex.

This is one I did for a baby. I think it is the second one I ever made. You can do different sizes on the rails, too, which gives it a different look.

The full size ones I made I completed in just about one day. (sorry the colors are so dark, the edges are a really nice tonal purple, with greens and yellows in the accent rails).
Quote Reply
Re: i have to make a gift... [wickedcheezit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Its a very simple quilt block to make. There is very little piecing but it still comes out looking suprisingly complex.

This is one I did for a baby. I think it is the second one I ever made. You can do different sizes on the rails, too, which gives it a different look.

The full size ones I made I completed in just about one day. (sorry the colors are so dark, the edges are a really nice tonal purple, with greens and yellows in the accent rails).
that is beautiful! ok, even if I don't do a quilt for him for Christmas, I would still LOVE the pattern if you would be willing to send it to me.

Quote | Reply
My wife made me a quilt before we wher engaged, and let me tell you i had tears in my eyes when i saw it, it's something i even put in my will! she took my old race shirts and cut out the art work on the front, then the series name across the back etc, and sewd them all together in a quilt, she even organized the shirts acording to importance, all the shirts when sewd together wher then sewd to a heavy duty sheet as backer, it was 7 shirts wide by about 8 long i think, the series names about 4 high by 10 or 12" wide wher arranged around the out side as a border. It is the best gift ever!!!!!!! my friends are sooo jelous of it.

The second idea is to go to a craft store like michels? and buy a shodow box, a big one so you can take a dozen or more race medals, take off the ribbons on all but the out side two velcro them on to the backer so they can be moved around or rearanged.

3rd idea is to go online to costco.com to the photo shop and make a memory book with all the pics fron differnt races and of the family cheering him on, you can put in a storey with each pic as well.

When you are done please post a pic of what we helped you make :)

Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last Christmas, I made a little cookbook of the recipes I had apapted or made up. Some of them are adapted to be lower in fat but still taste great, some are indulgent treat, some are just things we eat often. Even my mom loved it. Her first question was wether my chocolate pudding recipe was in it. It was. I just printed them on heavier card stock, 2 to a page and had Office Depot bind them with a sturdy plastic cover. This year, I'm adding more recipes and the nutrition content info.
Quote Reply
Re: i have to make a gift... [elementsport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm making two posts 'cause there are two separate projects I'm working on. I took old race tee's I've never worn and, using the java jacket from a Starbucks Grande, made a custom Java Jacket from my Ironman Canada 2003 finishers shirt. Now, instead of saying "S-bucks", my Java Jacket says "swim 2.4 mi, bike 112 mi, run 26.2mi. I used the sleeve from the shirt as the liner and I have a layer of Thinsulate in between them. It took about 5 minutes once I got the process figured out.
Quote Reply
Re: i have to make a gift... [Balanced Living] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A race memorabilia scrap book might be nice, take old race numbers, finishers medals and photos and organize them starting with the oldest ones and showing the progression. I got laid off recently and strapped for cash for xmas so i am making things also. My three yr old niece likes books, so i am writing one for her, adding real pictures of her and the family.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I finally decided what I am doing for the gift; and your ideas inspired me.

My husband is kind of 'over' triathlon and I don't think he cares much about the medals he's won....BUT....he does love fishing (and does it every chance he gets) and I have quite a few pictures of the fish he has caught (and then released). So, I thought I would make him a memorabilia/brag photo book of that. I think he's really going to like it (since he's always asking me to send "x" or "y" fishing picture to him at work. Plus it will be one place to see all the honey's he's caught. And he'll have room to add to it in the future (which is another gift in and of itself...time to fill the book up).

Thanks again for all of your ideas. I love ST!!! You all rock!

Prev Next