Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

how do you know when you're ready for a marathon?
Quote | Reply
hi all, i keep thinking about a fall marathon. it's been since 2001 or 2002 since i've done one, and i think i'm glorifying those marathon years because i was so focused and very fit and slim.

i'm still focused, but just on other things, but would like to loose 15 pounds. i'm not miserable with my body anymore, but the last 15, yikees.

also i really enjoyed the long runs, as it was a welcome escape and a big stress reliever. so i keep thinking i would like to do it, but am nervous about the reality of the training.

after not completing my IM last year (i got *really* ill 6 weeks before and stopped training and didn't race), i don't want to take on something "big" and not finish it.

my studio will open this summer and i know it's going to be very very busy. i'm already working my ass off. so i'm not sure what my work schedule will be like, it's all together possible i will have time for 5K's and that's it, i'm not sure.

anyway, i still feel intrigued by the idea of a marathon (also i long for some down time, which i can get while running), but don't want to start something i can't finish. ?

any advice?

thanks,
kitty
Quote Reply
Re: how do you know when you're ready for a marathon? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I were you, I'd take on a smaller race this year. Why don't you work towards a half marathon PR this year? The base building and time you put into half marathon training will definitely benefit you if you decide to do a marathon next year. If you train for a marathon this year, with your current crazy schedule, I think you'll be setting yourself up for disappointment. It sounds like you won't have the time to put in solid, consistent mileage and I think you'll end up frustrated with your training. A half marathon is much more doable and is much more flexible for missed days/mileage. You can also challenge yourself by trying to reach for a tough PR. So, it's a challenging time goal rather than a challenging distance goal.

I also don't think marathon training is really great for weight loss. In my n=1 experiment during training for 2 marathons, I only lost about 5 lbs each time.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but there you go.
Quote Reply
Re: how do you know when you're ready for a marathon? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What Dawn said! That was going to be my exact advice. Train for a Half Marathon and you will know if you are ready for a full. IMO opinion there is the mental aspect as well as physical aspect of training for a marathon. Your mind has to be prepared, confident and motivated in addition to having trained your body. I think the half is a great distance, as you still get the benefit of longish runs and a schedule that mimics that of marathon training, just more manageable.
Quote Reply
Re: how do you know when you're ready for a marathon? [roo roo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, you and dawn are probably right.

thanks for this perspective!
Quote Reply
Re: how do you know when you're ready for a marathon? [roo roo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you need to decide what the goal would be. Do you just want to finish or kick some ass? Running 3x/week with a total mileage of around 35 - 40 miles at peak will get you there. You would cross train 2-3x/week for building base. Most days you'd only need to train 1 hour a day except for a weekly long run. As you reach peak you will have one longish run during the week as well, probably at the most 2 hours, more likely 1.5.

It would all be in setting up your plan early and making decisions on work projects based on the commitment you made to training but still beinf flexible enough to do make up training sessions or moving the schedule around when things come up you can't control. Look at the week as hitting key workouts and being OK with dropping others.

Having a goal outside work can really keep you balanced and sane. It is all about your personality as to whether being focused on something in addition to work will be healthy or stressful.

Also, can you find a marathon earlier that might not interfere with the studio opening? Or, later and focus on building a strong base this summer?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: how do you know when you're ready for a marathon? [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
these are good points, so i will think on it--but aiming for 1/2 is probably enough for now. i probably just need to get through the first year in the studio, and then do whatever thereafter. ;)

thanks for your thoughts everybody, it was helpful. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could do what I did and sign up for the NY marathon lottery. Murphy's Law would suggest that if I don't train enough, I'll get in and spend from mid-June to the end of October courting injury while trying to ramp up the miles quickly. On the up side, my extra weight will probably fall right off:)

Seriously, though, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm a little out of shape (a lot for this forum; not so much in comparison to society) and have the pounds to show for it. NY is Nov. 1 if I get in, which is not likely. On the off chance that I do and being that I need to run faster than Katie Holmes (I'm willing to settle for slower than Oprah), I'm going to sign up for an August half and see what happens.
Last edited by: AmyCO: Apr 1, 08 14:37
Quote Reply