Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

heart rate when pregnant?
Quote | Reply
I just found out that I am in my 5th week of my first time pregnancy. As a first timer, I am soooo nervous and want to make sure I don't do anything to hurt the baby. My doctor told me a max heart rate of 140-160 in ok. I can't talk to any tri friends yet (we don't want to tell anyone until we are at 12 weeks).

Any advice for a first timer who wants to be active? Especially swimming...and maybe some biking! I am signed up for a few races that I don't think I am doing, but a few relays (i will be swimming) that I am thinking of doing.
Quote Reply
Re: heart rate when pregnant? [kikjoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you didn't have problems getting prego AND you've been active; what my Doc told me was that I could do all the same activities that I had done in the past when I got PG....the only caveat was to listen to my body. Obviously I couldn't go out to set any PRs, but being active was absolutely fine. I rode my bike until my bump started to hit the top tube and only stopped because it was so irritating. But I ran and walked and was active all throughout.

I've heard all the HR rumors out there but didn't listen to them only because I listened to what my body told me rather than gauged what I could do by the '#' and had two healthy baby girls. This was 'ok'd' by my doc too.

Best of luck to you. Congrats on the news!!

Quote | Reply
My doctor said there was no real science behind the heart rate number and she said just listen to your body and if you are tired slow down and if you are hot cool down. I'm at 28 weeks pregnant and still running, biking (although only on a trainer) and swimming. Everything is getting pretty ugly because of my new found girth but as long as it's comfortable my doctor said it was okay to keep plugging along. Alicia Parr, who posts on here recommended it to me, and I'd recommend it as well - read Dr. Clapp's book "Exercising Through Your Pregnancy."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! I've inquired about all of this recently too... my hub and I are trying and my good friend and tri training partner is 4 months along now. My doc has also given me the greenlight to keep on exercising as long as I am feeling good and reminded me to listen to my body- she's fairly liberal when it comes to the subject of exercise and fitness and works in an all female practice. Although, she didn't thinking riding after the first trimester was the best idea, in terms of the possiblity of falling/accidents. The trainer is good solution, or a spin class here and there. My friend's doc told her the same thing, and suggested keeping the heart rate in and around zone 2. The only warning he did give her was about exercising in the heat. He told her to be extra careful in the heat and humidity, as the fetus doesn't have the ability to cool itself as well and as quickly as we do! Congrats again, and be well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Congrats! Angela summed it up nicely -- listen to your body, if tired slow down, if hot cool down. The Clapp book is good too and can help you answer other peoples' "concerned questions." Staying active is beneficial for baby and mother during pregnancy for birth and post partum. That is...STAYING ACTIVE. It's not about TRAINING for now. I'm going swimming later today, ran yesterday and rode my bike the day before. Sometimes I just go for a brisk walk. Everything is slower and shorter, but you'll be surprised how well you can keep it up if you just don't worry about your pace. In many ways, the first trimester can be more difficult than the second due to hormone spikes, resulting energy fluctuations and sometimes nausea. Exercise can help with nausea, as can eating, which is not what you'd expect.

To quote my husband, "a woman's body is an amazing thing," so prepare to be amazed! May you have a wonderful journey the next 8 months or so!!!

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Quote Reply
Re: heart rate when pregnant? [aliciap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto on the "stay active, don't train" that everyone says.
I'm 31 weeks along with my second and still running(ok I think it's maybe called jogging now), swimming and last rode my bike 2 weeks ago . I do something active (and I now count walking to the park with my daughter as active) about 5-6 times a week.

My first pregnancy I was much more stressed about the HR thing and wore a monitor all the time. I initially set it to go off at 140 but then laughed at about week 8 when it went off while I was taking a shower after swim practice. I then set it at 155 and if it went off I would assess how I felt. I wouldn't necessarily stop but just really check in with myself.

This time around I never even put the HR monitor on, but I do make sure not to get too hot.

I would seriously recommend James Clapp's "Exercising through your pregnancy", it will make you feel much better about exercising than reading babycenter.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also received advise from my doc to do what I'm comfortable with.

On a different note - take this or leave it - but I know people that chose to wait until 2nd trimester to tell "just in case" and then had a miscarriage. Suddenly they found themselves with no one to help through the grieving process. Next pregnancy they chose to share with family so they had a strong support network. Just something to consider.

All the best and blessings for your pregnancy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep, I totally agree with Wolfpak. If you have been active prior to pregnancy >9 mos or more, then keep training. I wouldn't hit any speed goals tho or go way ultimate with your HR, but you should be good girl. I worked out hard with my last pregnancy and had a healthy baby and bounced back nicely. Don't let fear dictate.

N~
Quote Reply