Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

gift idea for wife...help needed
Quote | Reply
Ladies, need some help for a gift idea for my wife.

She is 28 and has had 2 back surgeries in the last year. A micro disectomy 12 months ago and a spinal fusion 6 months ago. College soccer play and a podium caliber age group triathlete before injury

Recovery has gone VERY, VERY well and next Thursday she gets to go on her first run in over a year. We are expecting the surgeon and pt to allow her to walk 5 min / run 30 seconds x 4.

Running / cycling / athletic lifestyle in general are a big part of our individual lives and part of our marriage. So, I want to get her something special as part of this big step in getting back to the way of life she wants.

So...who has some ideas for me????

Tim

Quote Reply
Re: gift idea for wife...help needed [RockChalk1406] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A nice piece of jewelry that can be worn while exercising, such as a necklace might be a place to start. It needs to be short enough, choker-length, so that it doesn't get it the way. I hope somebody buys me this:

http://www.youtube.com/...kinekt%20gear%20ring

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been leaving this tab open in my browser because I'm going to order myself one when I figure out which one I want.

http://www.endorphinwarrior.com/..._Dog_Tag_p/dt002.htm

There are bracelets and rings too.

It doesn't need to be fancy or expensive to be meaningful :-)

And send her congrats from me!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your wife likes jewelry- then by all means! But I am not a big jewelry girl, so I prefer more practical gifts. I was thinking a new running outfit. Depending on where you live, something she can wear now... Either tights and a long sleeve shirt or shorts and a short sleeve shirt! Just my two cents.

I'm here to race- myself and you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All excellent ideas, and gifts she'd be thrilled to receive!

How about a new pair of shoes/outfit, or a race entry, or better yet plan a little weekend trip someplace awesome with entry to a 5k...something small but will give her a goal and something to look forward to in a few months.

At any rate, I wish your wife happy running and a speedy recovery!

Jen
Quote Reply
Re: gift idea for wife...help needed [JNelly7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
90 minute massage after a manicure.
Quote Reply
Re: gift idea for wife...help needed [steveandbarb1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone...all good ideas

Tim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X2 on the new running gear. I'd be SO happy to recieve that.
Quote Reply
Re: gift idea for wife...help needed [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GC to her favorite running/mutisport store...

http://bethanyrutledge.com
Quote Reply
Re: gift idea for wife...help needed [steveandbarb1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 or something that could help with any PT/rehab she may have.
Quote Reply
Re: gift idea for wife...help needed [trigeek5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A new bike!

seriously:

In Reply To:
x2 or something that could help with any PT/rehab she may have.

That's what I was thinking. Ankle weights, a foam roller, small dumbbells/kettlebells, always nice to have for various PT exercises.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have to say I was thinking-hope no one says jewelry, til I saw what was suggested now I want both and I am totally not a jewelry person...
but running gear, new bike awesome too! me I'd LOVE anything bike related-but does she bike much? I had a back injury and that is pretty much all I do now
Quote Reply
Re: gift idea for wife...help needed [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ultimately, she will be getting a new road bike, but due to her back surgeries that is not something I can just go buy her with out a proper fitting, and I wanted this one be a surprise.

She has become rather addicted to Skirt Sports, so she has all the new running / workout gear she needs, so that took care of those suggestions.

I broke down and bought her an IPAD last night. Much more than I wanted to spend, but I was able to buy in on a department store credit card that offered 24 months no interest, so the payments are pretty easy to swallow.

Tim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
24 mos no interest? where?
Quote Reply
Re: gift idea for wife...help needed [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nebraska furniture mart...omaha, kc and des moines

Tim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe load this app on it to help with the rehab and keeping her form on track.

http://www.ubersense.com/

I did a run clinic recently where the guy leading it used this to capture, slow-mo and analyze our form - most of us were far more impressed with the software than our running style!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you got her an ipad, maybe get her this belt/app to go with it:

http://perfectpracticeusa.com/how-it-works/

Gives feedback on maintaining proper neutral back position--something she'll need to (and probably has already) continually work on.

On the bike front, you're right to be very cautious, especially since your wife will now be at increased risk of degeneration in the adjacent discs.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Garmin watch, if she doesn't have one (or has an older model). For a triathlete, the Garmin 910 XT is pretty awesome.

Beth @ http://www.racingrobsons.com/beth
Quote Reply