Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
cycling shorts
Quote | Reply

I am training for my second IM and I am having a hell of time with finding a comfortable pair of cycling shorts. I have a couple of pairs of the sugoi RS flex shorts as well as a couple of pairs of pearl izumi microsensor shorts but all of them are causing me much discomfort (bunching and rubbing in not so nice places). They used to be fine. This might be a stupid question but does the padding wear out? These shorts are only a couple of years old. Can anyone recommend any other brands to try?

===============================================

Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

http://www.teamrunningfree.com
http://ironmanredux.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: cycling shorts [redrunningshoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh yes, these materials and fibers break down. if they're a few years old think about all of the sun, chemicals from the sweat, and washing, not to mention just the wear and tear.

perhaps you could get a new pair of what's worked for you in the past and see how it goes!

also, saddles wear out too...just food for thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Were they originally comfortable, or are you doing longer training than you ever have? I do find that the comfort of my shorts deteriorates over time -- I think it's due to losing some of the shape and elasticity.

If you are riding longer, I've found that on longer stuff the perfect shorts are (of course) even more important. In particular last year I realized that on my tri bike tri shorts are always more comfortable on long rides -- perhaps look at some of those? I like Pearl Izumi women's ones for long stuff, and my DeSoto's for shorter rides.

Another thing to check is if they are still the right size for you as one benefit of all this training stuff is the weight loss. And my shorts tend to bunch and rub more the looser they are.

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
same problem here. they rub in the wrong places. in my opinion bike/tri gear hasn't caught up to women. I think they put a women's tag on a pair of men's shorts. I am a girl I have curves. it's just the way it is. Men's clothes will not fit me.

I feel your pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of years ago I asked a girlfriend of mine who has made it her mission to do every north american Ironman what shorts she liked since I was dying on long rides on my trainer. She recommended the Shebeest line- please know that I now have my own tri-shop and carry these so take this advice for what its worth- but I choose to carry this Shebeest line because I found even the little chamois worked for me for rides up to three hours- the super duper Ultra D and SSS can take me through 5-6 hours. (sorry haven't done longer) I have had no issue with breakdown and maybe I'm too much of an amateur but I also machine wash and dry my shorts. Again I hesitate even posting this since I am a retailer in my other life- not trying to sell it but I really do believe its a great line. I have also had good luck with my Pearl Iz.

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you riding in the aero position? I never wear regular bike shorts on the tri bike. DeSoto power shorts only. WIth a generous spread of Bag Balm. I've found the larger chamois in the aero position is NOT a good idea. Probably close to 25-30 rides over 100 miles and that's what works for me.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shebeest x2 - the regular SSS shorts - not overpadded; and they don't clench your leg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a regular road bike, I love my Terry Bella shorts. On a tribike, more aero position, tri shorts with little padding seem to be more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: cycling shorts [cstine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thanks for all the responses! I'm riding a tri-bike and using cycling shorts so that could be problem number one (didn't event think of that, d'oh!). My saddle is new but my ride times have just started increasing over the last 6 weeks (3+ hours on a trainer, zzzzzzzzz) and that's when I've started noticing the discomfort. I'm ok for an hour or so but then that's it. I've seen the Shebeest shorts so I'll give those a try. I've never thought to do my long rides with my tri shorts and I know I need a new pair of those so I'll take a look the pearl izumi's - I'm in Canada and I don't see much in the way of DeSoto stuff here unfortunately. My husband has a pair of Zoot tri shorts and he loves them. Has anyone else tried them?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but don't want to start a new one called "shaving" or something. But while we're on the topic of comfort while riding long, I've always wondered if it would be a good idea to get rid of the hair, or would the stubble hurt on the saddle just as much, or if there's a common practice, and have always been too embarrassed to ask. (Thanks again to ironclm for the women's forum.) Also I've wondered if different types of padding would yield different results ~~ the pads these days are some sort of microfiber, right, and not real chamois? Wonder if there's a "best" kind of padding for long-distance comfort? Finally, the creams ~~ I think baby diaper ointment works just fine for me. Anyway, thoughts about other means of long-distance cycling comfort would be appreciated too.
Quote Reply
Re: cycling shorts [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second Shebeest--most comfortable cycling shorts I own. I also have a pair of Decente shorts that I like for longer rides (a bit more padding but made for a woman's shape).
Quote Reply
Re: cycling shorts [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>but don't want to start a new one called "shaving" or something. But while we're on the topic of comfort while riding long, I've always wondered if it would be a good idea to get rid of the hair,<<

Yes, less is the way to go!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
    I love love love my Zoot ultra tri shorts! Favorite pair of shorts I own, and I have lots. I wear them on my road bike for 3+ hour rides no probleM. I don't ride much past 3:30 so I can't speakk og longer rides than that. and a BIG YES to the shaving. It makes a huge difference. That and chamois but'r I think make is just as important as the shorts IMHO.

I do want to try the De Soto shorts too, I hear such great things and they look super cute.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

funny this "shaving thread" had come up. I was out on my long run today and was thinking about asking what other ladies do regarding this. I don't know about the rest of you but I get SERIOUS razor burn that gets aggravated when I'm cycling so I try to time my shaving around when I'm riding or swimming. Unfortunately I can't go 2 days without shaving, I've got dark hair and it's pretty coarse so if I let it go, well that's just gross. I used one of those home waxing kits on my legs once but had an allergic reaction to the lotion that you put on after you take the wax off so I'm hesitant about going that route again. Any other suggestions?

Quote Reply
Re: cycling shorts [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think everyone is different. I wear cycling shorts exclusively and I always ride in the aero position, no problems with long rides. I do agree that thicker chamois is not the right way to go. Less is better. Well made shorts, such as Shebeest SSS, or the Pearl Izumi shorts with the 3D Pro padding, seem to work for me even for long rides in aero position. I think everyone gravitates toward one or two brands/styles of shorts that seem to work best.

I think it is really important for comfort to do three things:

1. Good shorts (not old worn out ones) and yes, you should be able to put them in the washer and dryer for an entire season and not worry about them
2. Comfortable saddle that is not broken down or overly padded
3. Proper bike fit so saddle fore-aft and saddle height and the rest of the bike optimize your position

If any one of those three items is wrong, you'll find it really hard to be comfortable on a long ride.

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: cycling shorts [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I am the opposite. The thicker the pad, the better, even on my tri bike vs. my road bike. I only wear tri shorts in races, the adrenaline makes me not notice the absence of pad. I just feel it later. I've worn tri shorts up to half iron distance.
I'm going to try to extend that this year for Lake Placid, since I'd rather not do a full change after the swim. My transitions were ~15 mins at IMWI in 06.

Oh, and I can't really shave much either, I have the thick fast growing hair thing too.

ANd yes, for me too, the women's forum brought me out of lurking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the gals--when riding in aero/on tri bike, less padding is better. Before IM, I used to ride centuries on my road bike and loved the "couch cushion down my pants" bike shorts. Those beloved shorts cause alot of chafing in aero. I've taken to Skirtsports tri shorts--the pad is tiny.

About the shaving, I never had a problem when I "let the shrubbery grow wild". However, now that I'm doing more landscaping I find that if I let it go for more than 3 days, the stubble is like coarse sandpaper where there should'nt be any. I'm thinking about splurging and getting a wax job or really splurging and getting laser hair removal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they certainly do wear out. one thing to keep in mind is to make sure you don't buy them too big. they definitely stretch out over time, and that can cause the bunching a 1,2,3 years downt he road.

craft makes great shorts- i really like the stretch pads.

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for me, shaving has been a good move. just be careful not to do it the night before a really long/hard ride. the only times i have problems with it are the day right after, if i go TOO close. haven't tried waxing, i'm not that brave....

p.s. there is a gel called bikini zone that you can get at cvs. it completely takes care of razer burn, if you put it on right after you shave. its a lifesaving product!

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the last poster- don't shave right before a long ride. Make sure to use some form of chamois butter, especially when freshly shaved.
I find my shorts deteriorate after 2-3seasons.
As for new brands to try: I like the SSS short by sheebeest. Do not recommend: Castelli shorts with Kiss chamois. Worst purchase Ive made.
Quote Reply
Re: cycling shorts [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Shebeest. I have horrible chafing issues in the same spot and I have tried a ton of shorts. Shebeest are the bomb. I actually even like riding long in their tri shorts. That and, for me, to have them basically painted on (i.e. tight) helps a ton. No bunching. :)
Quote Reply
Re: cycling shorts [flyer521] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found Tendskin which is at ultra or sephora really helped my razor burn- although burns like heck when you first put it on- I think the base of it is a salicylic acid which keeps in growns from coming in- works for me. I love to wax but since I swim so much I can't figure out how that is suppose to work- I don't want to take 1-2 weeks off to let it grow however long it needs to grow. I would love Laser but way too expensive for me. Well speaking of riding...just did an emergency visit to the ped doc to see if my 4 year old had the flu- no flu but something just as contagious- soooo I'm getting on my bike to boost my immune system while at the same time playing nurse, and then going to school for some assembly for the other kids....But I am getting this bike in if its the last thing I do!!!!!! Have a great day all!

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: cycling shorts [mixie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I love love love my Zoot ultra tri shorts! Favorite pair of shorts I own, and I have lots. I wear them on my road bike for 3+ hour rides no probleM. I don't ride much past 3:30 so I can't speakk og longer rides than that. and a BIG YES to the shaving. It makes a huge difference. That and chamois but'r I think make is just as important as the shorts IMHO.

I do want to try the De Soto shorts too, I hear such great things and they look super cute.

I looked these up online and noticed they are pretty long. Can anyone recommend a long-distance tri short that is shorter in length and low-rise? I ask for a lot, I know. :)

I have the DeSoto low-rise short (ooh they are tiny! and cute!), but it doesn't seem to be a very good long-distance product.
Quote Reply
Re: cycling shorts [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cathy: Thank you so much for that post! I just got my very first brand new tri bike and was about to go out and buy a bunch of new PI microsensors! I think I'll try out what I have first to see if it's too much.

Thanks again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting... I never thought of the fact that cycling shorts in aero contribute to my problem... hmm...

I'm going to second the recommendation for BikiniZone gel/cream... both as a post-landscaping soother AND a pre-ride balm. I use the version with added Lidocaine prior to big rides... I even bring a tube along on centuries to sooth trouble spots. Numbs things right up!

You can find it for ~~$6-6.50 a tube at Target, drugstores, etc. WELL WORTH IT!!

Jodi
Quote Reply

Prev Next