Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

calling all cat lovers
Quote | Reply
so i agreed to catsit my friend's kitty. I love animals and had cats growing up -- know how they are and love the fact that they're a bit aloof . . .

but this is ridiculous. The cat came in three days ago and I've seen her once (caught her by surprise in the bathroom). She was friendly and affectionate when her daddy dropped her off but now? Invisible (lots of nooks and crannies here to hide out in). Except for the surprise poo she left by the front door . . .

I've tried all the usual tricks to entice her out -- shaking her dried food bag, jingling keys, you name it. I wouldn't even know she was here except for the occasional mew in the middle of the night and, of course, the poo.

I've got another five days with her before my young boys get home and wish I could convince her there's nothing to be afraid of. But I can't even find her to get started. Any tips are most welcome!
Quote Reply
Re: calling all cat lovers [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aww, that's too bad. At least you know she is safe inside (the last time I cat-sit, and indoor cat got out).
I'm not sure I'd hold out hope of her appearing; she's probably terrified in a new place. My second cat was a shelter rescue and she stayed in our cellar for two weeks before she felt safe enough to come out and play!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She probably just needs to get used to you and your place. Cats hate change. Once she is more comfortable, she'll come around and recognize you as Food Provider.

Can you try and catch her? I would confine her to a bathroom or bedroom for a couple of days until she feels more comfortable, with all of her comforts (food, water, toys, litter, and something comfy to sleep on.) Then go spend some time with her in there, read a book, let her smell your hands, and just get used to each other. When you're outside the room she might even be horrified by the idea, which will ultimately make her want to be more social. Once she starts interacting with you, let her out to explore your place. Cats can only take in so much of a new environment at once, or they feel overwhelmed, so introduce her to the environment more slowly and see how it goes.
Quote Reply
Re: calling all cat lovers [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you both, this is great advice. I wish I had thought of confining her!

Funny what you say, Tigerchik, the first day i had her, in the first hour, i was convinced she had gotten out through an open window that I didn't realise was open. I was *desperate*, even made lost cat posters. Long story short, her owner, who hadn't left on vacation yet, came back down, called once, and out she popped from her hiding place.

Update: as of half an hour ago, she is my BEST FRIEND. i found her on a window ledge, she trotted over, and wouldn't stop nuzzling me for twenty minutes straight. Finally i'm like kitty get away from me, enough already.

It's like some switch in that little brain flipped . . . or she wants a can of the 'special treat only' food that the owner left. Because she kept looking at me and licking her chops. I only hope she can find her cat pan tonight, which shouldn't be hard because I planted it right where she had her 'accident' yesterday . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know what's funny...I swear that my cats only have a three-day memory. That seems to be about the amount of time they stopped freaking out whenever we'd move and act like they'd always lived somewhere. Whenever fiance travels, his cat goes through the following stages:

Day 1: Breakfast?
Day 2: Confusion at absence of Food Provider 1, upgrade of Food Provider 2 to FP1
Day 3: COMPLETELY NEUROTIC AND INCONSOLABLE
Day 4: Breakfast?

So, sometimes it's just a matter of time. 3 days, in particular.
Quote Reply