Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

brown rice recipes please!
Quote | Reply
so my eating thing has evolved into brown rice, chicken breast, and broccoli for dinner. i made brown rice yesterday with chicken broth, mushrooms, onion, celery, and carrot, with a sprinkling of herbs. it was pretty good. anybody else have a brown rice recipe to share? it can get really old really quick if you just boil it up plain (unless of course you drown it in butter, which kinda defeats the purpose).
Quote Reply
Re: brown rice recipes please! [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have found a short-grained (it may even have been Arborio) brown rice at my local gourmet foods market, and I make brown rice risotto. Just use the classic risotto technique to cook it and don't add much parmesan cheese at the end. It takes a while and involves lots of stirring, but you can make a big batch at one time and freeze it.

For variety you could also try different whole grains like bulgur, quinoa, and barley.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
add some salsa to it. Or salsa and corn. At times I do salsa, corn and Italian seasoning.

Sliced cherry tomatoes work well for a non-spicy version.

Asperigus is a nice addition as well.

Pees too.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Italian seasoned canned tomatoes.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know a sweet recipe for red peppers stuffed with brown rice, mushrooms, and other delicious yummies. Bonus: vegetarian but still very filling. Here's the recipe:
http://find.myrecipes.com/...amp;recipe_id=549846

It's my go-to for dinner parties.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Burrito bowls! Brown rice layered with any or all of the following depending on what I have on hand: red onions, bell peppers, beans, a little cheese, a tbsp of light sour cream, guac if you've got it, and lots of salsa or hot sauce. I'm a vegetarian and sometimes add Smart Strips Chik'n Strips. So good!

Second the salsa and stuffed bell peppers too.
Last edited by: erinleigh: Jul 14, 08 17:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ummm ... brown rice :)

Soy sauce and nutritional yeast is yummy.

Also Japanese ginger dressing:
http://www.litehousefoods.com/...t_details.asp?pid=34

Salsa is yummy too.

I also like (usually earlier in the day) to scramble eggs with some goat cheese and dill and then mix in boiled brown rice with those.

I also eat eftovers like cereal sometimes with soy milk and a little bit of sugar.

BBQ Chicken, salmon or tuna can be really yummy. Jerk or terriaki sauce or just plain soy and ginger is great for variety.

You can also make a great stirfry with lots and lots of veggies and just a touch of soy and mirin for the sauce. If you don't want to use oil, just start some mushrooms first in a non-stick pan and they will make enough liquid to cook everything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Short-grain brown rice seems tastier to me.

Here's a nice easy thing to do with it... also works btw with couscous or quinoa or other grain

Saute some chopped onions, mix with rice, chick peas, raisins, chopped up carrots, and maybe almond pieces or pinenuts. Add a little bit of olive oil and if you want some curry powder.

Oh, another thing, mix any of the grains with chopped cucumber, kalamata olives (nice if they're pitted), feta cheese, grape tomatoes. Maybe pinenuts again, and possibly chopped up apple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brown rice chicken fried rice.

I make a lot of brown rice every couple of days in the rice cooker.

I chop up some carrots, celery, peppers, onions, garlic and toss in a pan with some already cooked chicken (the pre-packaged strips). Then add the rice for a little bit and finally crack an egg or two over it and let it cook up. I add pineapple to mine since they are pretty cheap here.

I also make (or buy if I'm lazy) lentil soup and just pour it over brown rice for a quick meal.
Quote Reply
Re: brown rice recipes please! [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMG everything sounds so good! i'm gonna try 'em all out. i bought the short-grain organic stuff at the hippie market and just cooked it plain last night with a little salt and pepper and it was still really good. thanks everybody ...

risotto? how do you make it? (duh.) don't believe i've ever had it ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The way I make it is pretty easy. Chop up about 1/2 onion, and a few cloves of garlic, if you like. Saute these in a little bit of olive oil until they are soft but not brown. Stir in 1 cup short grain rice, brown or white, and saute the rice with the veggies for a few minutes. Add about 1/2 cup white wine (or leave this step out if you don't want it) and simmer until the the rice has mostly absorbed the wine. Start adding hot chicken broth, about 1/2 cup at a time, and stir, stir, stir after each addition. Wait to add more broth until the last bit you added is mostly absorbed. It will probably take at least 1 quart of chicken broth, and sometimes more. You will know the rice is done when you take a taste and it is cooked through, with no crunchy parts, but still slightly "al dente". The consistency should be sort of like a loose pudding. Take the rice off the stove and add in some grated parmesan cheese, as much as you like, usually 1/4 to 1/2 cup. Stir in the cheese and enjoy!
Quote Reply
Re: brown rice recipes please! [txvet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yum!

------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.GetEndorFit.com
Personal Training and Sports Conditioning
------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brown rice cooked with a little garlic, pn of cinnamon and cumin. Add diced dried apricots, capers and chopped parsley at the end. Chick peas are good too, gives it a north african feel

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply