Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike short leg grippers
Quote | Reply
I hate 'em!

I love my DeSotos because they don't have them. I have the type of leg conformation that stores my womanly curves on the medial upper thigh. Even tho I've trimmed down the lateral upper thighs. SO most tri-shorts are too unflattering if they hit there. Plus the elastic is kinda irritating. However I don't like the bike shorts with too long of an inseam either.

So I am thinking of nicking some of the elastic on the grippers on my two pairs of PI tri-shorts that would be an okay inseam were it not for the damned grippers which are too tight.

I'm gonna use a razor blade and just start cutting some of the elastic "fibers". Anyone else done this? I guess I will report back

Message to manufacturers of bike shorts for us females (PI.... any others?) Are the newer PI tri shorts better? Mine are a couple yrs old)
Quote Reply
Re: bike short leg grippers [PBJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please report back. I've a pair of shorts I like a lot except they dig into my thighs with those grippers.

There is no justice, there is only me. -- Death
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just flip the band up so the logo shows on the outside and you get no imprint yet the short stays in place w/out any bulging effect
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same freaking problem. Makes me want to cry. Makes me look like an over stuffed sausage. I went through 4 different brands recenly, which is a nusiance, since I have to order them online and return them. Anyway. I have a pair of Men's DeSoto's . I think I'm going to stick with mens shorts. They are a little longer.

L
Quote Reply
Re: bike short leg grippers [Snap!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah I flip the band up too but it is still too tight. It does eliminate the irritation from the latex though.
Quote Reply
Re: bike short leg grippers [Sabrekitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Follow up: not worth the effort.

Man that elastic gripper apparatus is some tough stuff on those PI's. I took a straight edge razor and starting nicking some of the grayish-beige elastic threads on the inside (using a desk lamp with magnifying lens) and it turns out those fibers are just part of the gripping effect. So it did nothing to loosen the leg. The seam has that tough white elastic tape in it. So I cut out the tape as best I could.

However the remaining elastic band is either glued into the bottom edge of the leg or sewn in with some sort of blind stitich. So I could not get it off completely unless I cut off the entire shebang and then rehemmed them. And the upper hem (thread you can see on the outside) is double-seamed so I did not mess with that. But it appears the remaining elastic I could not get off is still pretty heavy-duty. And the hem thread is stretchy too (and black, so it's hard to tell apart from any regular thread I would want to spare).

So I now have a pair of Pearl Izumis that are slightly less tight but still too sausage-y. Partly from the fabric, mostly from the remaining elastic "infrastructure". (they were not fooling around when they made them!)

Next pair of PI's --if I go that route-- will be to size up to a large. I have a long torso so that probably will help with the rise too. Will just stick to the DeSotos for now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer.

I have a pair of OOMPH endurance pad shorts I like. of course they are long. I was
thinking of trying the OOMPH sprint pad, but here again the shorts are shorter and I think I
will just have the same problem.

I noticed when I size up in a womens then the shorts are too big around the waist, and yet
the elastic around the leg is still too tight.

L
Quote Reply