Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

amenorrhea, hypogonadism...increased risk of osteoporosis?
Quote | Reply
This is probably a weird question but I thought some people here might know about this because of the female athlete triad (I think that's what it's called).

Why does amenorrhea cause hypogonadism? There's probably a very good hormonal reason for this so take that as more of a rhetorical question.

But b/c women have lower testoterone anyways, do they reach a hypogonadic state faster?

And, if you do become hypogonadic, it's sort of like early menopause, right? Does this then increase your osteoporosis risk?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: amenorrhea, hypogonadism...increased risk of osteoporosis? [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Answered one of my questions - hypogonadism does lead to osteoporosis. I guess b/c it puts you into a menopause-like state.
Quote Reply
Re: amenorrhea, hypogonadism...increased risk of osteoporosis? [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any experience with bromocripitine?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To hopefully clarify, although probably not answer your question:

Hypogonadism simply means low sex hormones (primarily estrogen for women, testosterone for men). Hypogonadism can be a problem at the level of the brain (low signals coming from the brain, also called hypogonadotropic) or at the level of the gonad (the brain is sending signals but the ovary/testicle does not respond, also called hypergonadotropic). Hypogonadism in a women for any reason will lead to amenorrhea, and eventually, osteopenia, hot flashes, etc. Amenorrhea in an of itself is not the problem; we follow it because it is a surrogate that can indicate hypogonadism. The amenorrhea associated with the female athlete triad is due to a hypogonadotropic hypogonadism due to negative energy balance.

Bromocriptine can be used to treat hypogonadotropic hypogonadism when it is due to excess prolactin. Elevated prolactin is a fairly common side effect of many psychotropic medications in addition to many other causes (tumor, hypothyroidism, etc). Cabergoline is the other medication that can also be used. They each have their own risk/benefit profile that depends on the individual.
Quote Reply
Re: amenorrhea, hypogonadism...increased risk of osteoporosis? [BigV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks BigV!

I don't have the female athlete triad, I just thought some people here might be familiar with some of this stuff from familiarity with it.

I have elevated prolactin levels from taking an atypical antipsychotic (Invega 6 mg) (well, I just did the blood test today, but I start the bromocriptine tonight, as my doctors didn't feel the need to wait since we have confirmation that the prolactin levels are raised without blood tests - I'm sure you can imagine. It was scarring to realize my prolactin is elevated, let's just say that).

I think I'm heading towards amenorrhea as my last 2 periods have just spotted, which is very unusual for me. My doctor said that unless this stays long-term though, I don't need to worry about osteopenia/porosis, which is a relief as it runs in my family.

I've read bromocriptine can cause or worsen psychosis, and even though my psychotic symptoms are under control thanks to the Invega, that worries me a bit, though I'm sure the Invega will continue to control them. This can't be the first time my psychopharmacologist has recommended bromocriptine (gp prescribed) due to elevated prolactin though, and he's one of the best, I trust him.

I am a bit concerned about the dizziness/fainting/sudden falling asleep even if alert, though apparently the first few weeks should show if those are side effects I'll have.

I'm not supposed to exercise away from people or on trail for a few weeks at least, though in one of those coincidences my hip injury flared up again out of nowhere so I am stepping away from running for a bit and focusing on the bike, which is on the trainer this time of year anyhow. I may avoid the pool until I know about how I react however.
Last edited by: Teags: Feb 18, 10 13:02
Quote Reply