Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

advice needed for end of swim
Quote | Reply
At the end of the swim when I stand up I nearly pass out. This is normal for me when I stand up from kneeling or squatting too. Does anyone have any advice or techniques they use to help with this. It is frustrating to stand there and have people passing me.
Quote Reply
Re: advice needed for end of swim [pookie87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had this problem getting out of the swim. I slow down when I am coming in for a finish and stand up slowly, getting my head settled a little at a time as I stand up. I've also found the cold water really gets me out of whack. It ias usually open water that gets me. I've had friends tell me that earplugs really help. I've tried it but for some reason I feel clausterphobic when I can't hear what is going on around me. After a few swims in the lake it gets better.

Try the earplugs and see if that helps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this problem a lot when I wasn't in good swimming shape and also when I wasn't used to swimming a lot. It has faded over time. This is not to say you aren't in good swimming shape, obviously I don't know that. As mentioned before instead of swimming that last little bit right up to the ramp I would stand up and walk out to get my bearings. It has gotten a lot better over the years, but I still have trouble when I stand up from kneeling too. Hope this helps, maybe yours will fade with time.

------------------------------------------------------------
I have failed at many things, but never in my desire to try again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When fighter pilots are subjected to high G forces they use a technique to keep the blood in their head. They act like they are taking a strained BM (but not actually!) and this forces blood into the head.

You could try this as you come out of the water but it may be hard to do on the run to T1 and when out of breath.

Not sure that the ear plugs will help you since this is a blood pressure issue and not a vertigo/disorientation issue.

*Disclaimer: not a doc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." - Charles De Mar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess get out there and practice a few techniques; a friend of mine used to be a top cyclist in his age group but dabbled in tris and had this problem - low blood pressure.
1. as suggested, slow down as you approach the finish, perhaps approach the finish on the outside (so you're not in the way) and do some dog paddle or swim some strokes with head up out of water (polo)
2. stand up initially with head/upper body bent over knees but keep moving; gradually over a few steps raise your head/upper body so you can see where you're going :) don't start running (if that's your thing out of the water) til you are sure you're steady on your feet.
3. salt can raise blood pressure, try having a bit extra with meals the day before...? caffeine also may help... (just an idea)

Or maybe it's like those "gravitron" ideas - just keep doing it over and over til your body gets used to it :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried using ear plugs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You likely have orthostatic hypotension - "low blood pressure" - and when you go from horizontal to vertical, it's hard for your body to get blood to your head again.

Not sure what you can do about it but that's what's happening.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get this too. At an ocean swim clinic I did, the coaches recommended kicking hard as you are coming into the end of swim. When I remember to do this, it certainly helps and I am less dizzy.
Quote Reply
Re: advice needed for end of swim [janini9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will try the kicking. When I used to fly in acrobatic planes with my flight instructor friends I would clench my neck when we were going from inverted to normal (like one of the previous posters was saying) and that helped, but I didn't know how to apply that to the swim. I don't thing ear plugs will help as it is not an equilibrium/pressure issue but that all my blood is dumping from my head to my legs like TigerChik said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found that alternating between walking/running and swimming as I approached the shore, assuming its shallow, left me feeling better.

Polly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yup, what they suggested and add salt and caffeine to help your body raise your blood pressure. If I don't get my morning coffee I get the same issue. Heck, I've nearly passed out from a good, blood pumping yawn before. Stood up, took three steps and BAM I was on the floor.

I don't have quite the same problem getting out of the water every time, but by the time I've gone for my swim I've generally had at least 2 if not three cups of coffee.

There is no justice, there is only me. -- Death
Quote Reply
Re: advice needed for end of swim [P2SLowry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this might make things worse. The Valsalva Maneuver (bearing down) can stimulate the vagal nerve and cause a considerable drop in blood pressure, which is likely to make an already woozy person hit the deck.

I've had similar problems in the past, I think a lot depended on my hydration and conditioning, and also how much sleep I was getting. If I don't get enough food/rest/fluid my body just doesn't seem to work right.

I also allow extra time after a swim workout to just float on my back, but obviously that's not a good idea for racing ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: advice needed for end of swim [lilystyx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This used to happen to me all the time but it has disappeared this season. I have been swimming more and try to kick a liitle more towards the end of the swim to get blood moving around the body.

Don't let it get to you, it goes away!
Quote Reply
Re: advice needed for end of swim [lilystyx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. That would make ME drop like a rock if I did it then stood up.

There is no justice, there is only me. -- Death
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you talking about swims where you wear a wetsuit? My old wetsuit would cause me to get light headed after I stood up. i would have to kneel back down for a couple seconds. This happened to be on all race lengths, 500m to 1.2 miles. This year in Kona i swam with out a wetsuit, obviously, and I came out of the water feeling fine, i wasn't light headed at all. This could be attributed to I was in better swim shape or it could be that my wetsuit was the wrong size and was putting pressure on my neck. I think it was the later. I sold the wetsuit and going to be buying a de soto 2 piece wetsuit this time.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: advice needed for end of swim [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is actually worse when I don't wear a wetsuit, which is more often than not (I hate the things).
Quote Reply