Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yikes! I've gained so much weight!
Quote | Reply
Help! Would love to hear your personal stories.
I am new to triathlon and have ramped up my training to an average of 1-2 hrs of hard work a day.
Unfortunately, I am ravenously hungry and have gained 10 pounds! OK, some is muscle, but definitely not all!
Suddenly I'm stocky. :(
I eat all the right foods, believe me-- but just too much.

Anyone experience this? I'd love to hear how you delt with it.
--OK I'm off to find a carrot---

Thanks!
-Marianne
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes! I've gained so much weight! [mzappella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This might have happened. You mentioned you 'ramped up' training.
Whenever I have an increase in training time, I am super hungry all the time for a week or two. Then it levels out and it's 'back to normal'.
That might be what happened to you.
You could also use a fitness tracker to re-train yourself on how much food is appropriate until you get the hang of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tracking food is a PITA - but it works. I like the "lose it" app.

Make sure that you underestimate your calories burned from exercise - most calculators are on the high side.

I'm always up for eating, even when I'm not training lots - it can be tough at times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am the same weight as I was last year at this time but my body has changed a LOT due to the increase in training. While I do have some more fat to lose, I am waiting until after Nationals to get serious about that. My best advice would be to just eat real food. Snack on fruit, vegetables, chicken, yogurt.... it does help to have some protein with each meal too. I will boil up a bunch of eggs and just have them with me at the office to eat along with a salad or oatmeal.

And yes, I track everything - even when I eat crap or drink wine!

Patti

Patti in NJ
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes! I've gained so much weight! [PattiTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You all have been really helpful! Thank you. I am going to track my food from now on, starting this minute.
I don't know why I didn't think of that. I guess I've been giving myself way too much grazing room!
:) Thanks so much
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll be surprised how fast the grazing adds up. When I'm serious about weightloss, it's 3 meals per day & maybe a snack in the evening if I have the calories left over. Otherwise I'm always over my budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the advice on tracking and eating real foods. I also find that WHEN to eat makes a big difference. If I don't eat enough before a morning run workout, for example, I am so hungry afterwards (not always immediately; sometimes a few hours afterwards) that I overeat things that taste good and have a quick sugar rush. It takes a bit of experimenting to figure out what is "enough" and how much "before" is useful but not nausea-inducing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's difficult to train for an event and have weight loss as a goal. Yes you gain weight as you improve muscle mass, so your clothes fit a little looser, yes? Pure weight loss should happen in the 'off' season, as a target. In season training for performance is a little different.

Agree with what all the others are saying, in regards to eating real foods, 'grazing' etc. Avoid eating after 8pm (9pm latest!) - your sleep quality suffers if your body is still metabolising food. Breakfast is all important, plus 16oz of water upon waking.

Remember, your recovery window starts the minute you stop: your metabolism is still high for 40minutes or so after you finish a workout. That is the time for a protein shake or the eggs as PattiTris suggests. A hard boiled egg and a drop of hot sauce and I'm good!

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone! I've read and reread your posts. Great info and encouragement. I've already implemented some changes and am writing all calories on MyFitnessPal (chose this one since I don't have a great phone with lots of app room and this I can do on the computer). Have lost 1 1/2 lbs already and feels like the real deal, not just water weight. Thanks and best wishes! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may be to late on this post but I wonder if you are eating enough? I know. Sounds crazy. The body needs more food, during heavy training. I always tell people to look at calories in and calories out. For example:

You burn 1300 calories just to survive (Sleep, Walk, Shower, etc.).
You workout for an hour and you burn 600 calories x 2 (Bike/Masters swim)
Total: 2500 calories for the day

You eat MAYBE 1900-2000 calories a day. You are already at a deficit in your calories. You body is going into survival mode or a defense mechanism. The body is thinking you are going into "starvation" mode, which can cause you to gain weight.

Eating lean proteins, good fats, CHO (based with veggies and fruits) and quality food will be the key to your success. Every time you grab a meal or a snack, ask yourself where is your CHO, fats and protein.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Jen Rulon
Chasing that Kona Dream since 1989
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes! I've gained so much weight! [texasjen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you TexasJen for your smart comments. The weight keeps piling on. I think in my case it is that I have allowed my portions to become huge, although I know what you're saying can well be true. Thanks again everyone! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update:

Finally, I've stopped having such a voracious appetite and I've actually lost a couple pounds.

As far as "why?"--- All I can say is:
1) I am cycling much more and swimming less as the season changes.
2) I am drinking a kale smoothie every morning.

When you look at female swimmers, most are larger in bulk than cyclists-- I am wondering if the different exercise stimulates different eating habits.
Kale smoothie-- maybe my body was starving for whatever the kale has in it. Or kale fills me.

Just wanted to post this in case others had similar weight gain issues. :)
Thanks again everyone for your excellent and kind postings.
:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your post made me giggle. I also eat way too much. I eat healthy foods, just a lot. I can out eat my husband. I'm not fat - just normal looking and healthy, but I am always thinking about food. Maybe I'll try the kale smoothie in the mornings and see if that helps me.

Jen Yanda
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes! I've gained so much weight! [Jyanda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
food diaries seem to work best for me, it holds me accountable
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes! I've gained so much weight! [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get some protein inside of you so you won't be so hungry as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is it possible that your body is used to the workout level now and that's why you're so hungry? whenever i step up training my hunger goes high but then comes back to normal once i've been training at that level for a while...

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply