Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Working in strength training
Quote | Reply
Hi Ladies:)

I was wondering if you could comment on your strength training successes, specifically:

where you put it in your training week and frequency
low weight/high reps or high weight to failure or something else

I'm struggling a bit to find balance with this. I feel like if I lift heavy enough for "returns" I really feel it the next day, but I feel like I need my rest day/s after my long runs and rides :/

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: Working in strength training [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do weights 3 times per week. I do the heaviest weight I can (which is not terrible heavy!!) and still be able to properly complete 3 sets of 12. I do the same 10 exercises each time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crossfit 1x week. It pretty much destroys me but I just suck it up and train through it. Crossfit has made me significantly stronger - especially my core - and that has translated into stronger running and biking.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
15-20mins of strength/core in the mornings before work - i do the rest of my training in the evening.

monday: mobility/bodyweight work AM, easy bike & easy run PM (recovery day from weekend)
tuesday: heavy lower body lift AM, quality run (hill repeats/tempo run) & easy swim PM
wednesday: upper body lifting AM, hard bike & easy run PM
thursday: core work w/swiss ball AM, easy run & hard swim PM
friday: OFF
saturday: shorter bike, long run, long swim
sunday: shorter swim, long bike, mid-distance run

the week before a race i only do bodyweight work (no heavy squats, deadlifting, weighted lunges, etc) and add more stretching & mobility work.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:
15-20mins of strength/core in the mornings before work - i do the rest of my training in the evening.

monday: mobility/bodyweight work AM, easy bike & easy run PM (recovery day from weekend)
tuesday: heavy lower body lift AM, quality run (hill repeats/tempo run) & easy swim PM
wednesday: upper body lifting AM, hard bike & easy run PM
thursday: core work w/swiss ball AM, easy run & hard swim PM
friday: OFF
saturday: shorter bike, long run, long swim
sunday: shorter swim, long bike, mid-distance run

the week before a race i only do bodyweight work (no heavy squats, deadlifting, weighted lunges, etc) and add more stretching & mobility work.

cheers!
-mistress k

OK a few questions:

1) What is mobility work?
2) Do you find that your heavy lower body lift in the a.m. impacts your tempo/hills in the p.m. or does it and you just think of it as a big lower body day?
3) Does all that Tuesday work impact your hard bike the next day? If not, do you mind telling me how long you've been riding?

--I'm a long time runner, but have only been riding for a few years, and I really feel it in my legs if my lift and ride days are back-to-back. I'm thinking it's cause I still need to work on my cycling legs...

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: Working in strength training [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard amazing things about Crossfit helping triathletes. I'm lifting 3x's/week.

http://www.myendurancedream.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) mobility work = active stretching & working on imbalances
2) i purposely leave the heavy lift on the same morning as the tempo/hill run because it doesn't cause any problems
3) a good warmup for the hard bike work gets rid of the heavy legs (it's almost 36hrs after the lower body strength work)

i've really been cycling all my life; commuted up to 50k/day when i was in my teens, rode BMX and raced DH for a couple of seasons. i did go about 10 years without riding a bike at all, but have been back at it for about 4.5 years.

cheers!

-mistress k