Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Work issues
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

I know it's not triathlon related, but I was wondering if you all have any advice for someone (me) who is dealing with a really unhealthy work environment. The main issues:

1) Management structure is very top-down with little to no regard for people who work front-line (directly with clients). It is a mental health and addictions office where if managerial decisions don't factor in the workers/clients, it can lead to degradation of the services offered.

2) My supervisor/boss is kind of a bully, and has passive/aggressively called down the fact that I am going to graduate school in a staff meeting, etc. She believes that she is approachable, but her actions say otherwise. She is new to her managerial role, and I know she is stressed and has a lot of people to manage, but she recently began a meeting with me with "So what's the problem?" when it came to light that I felt I needed additional training to take on different types of clients than before. Then she said that she doesn't have time to "babysit" us and we need to be responsible for our own professional development. Of course, I do take responsibility for my professional role, but I felt like the employer had partial responsibility to train me in how they would specifically like their service to be run. I am pretty new to the field and just want some clinical supervision, etc.

I am getting really stressed out and feel like I need to bring a list of my main problems to her, otherwise I will likely quit (even though there are no other options for me to work in my field, unless I take a 50% pay cut). I know this post is turning more into a bitch session, but I am really getting a lot of anxiety as I don't deal well with conflict particularly when I am one of only 4 full-time and 1 part-time clinicians. It is so easy to be singled out here and vulnerable to further scrutiny. I know I need to confront her but am so anxious about the fallout.

Any advice on how to approach her?
Quote Reply
Re: Work issues [spacebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey all,

I know it's not triathlon related, but I was wondering if you all have any advice for someone (me) who is dealing with a really unhealthy work environment. The main issues:

1) Management structure is very top-down with little to no regard for people who work front-line (directly with clients). It is a mental health and addictions office where if managerial decisions don't factor in the workers/clients, it can lead to degradation of the services offered.

2) My supervisor/boss is kind of a bully, and has passive/aggressively called down the fact that I am going to graduate school in a staff meeting, etc. She believes that she is approachable, but her actions say otherwise. She is new to her managerial role, and I know she is stressed and has a lot of people to manage, but she recently began a meeting with me with "So what's the problem?" when it came to light that I felt I needed additional training to take on different types of clients than before. Then she said that she doesn't have time to "babysit" us and we need to be responsible for our own professional development. Of course, I do take responsibility for my professional role, but I felt like the employer had partial responsibility to train me in how they would specifically like their service to be run. I am pretty new to the field and just want some clinical supervision, etc.

She may feel that since u r in grad school u ought be able to direct ur own development, I never go to my boss with a problem that I don't have at least 3 thought-out of solutions before hand. In other word, u don't ask the boss with an "essay" question , but u ask them w/ a mutliple choice question. And the solutions to whatever those questions she decided need to be self-tracked and self monitored by u. She being new to the role has nothing to do w/. Somebody thought that she was good enough to supervise u. Also I don't see how someone who is new to the field is already justified to critique how managerial decisions can impact frontline services, one false move in mental health field can bring on legal liability issues given the population that u are working with. Also were u working with her before she was promoted?

I am getting really stressed out and feel like I need to bring a list of my main problems to her, otherwise I will likely quit (even though there are no other options for me to work in my field, unless I take a 50% pay cut). I know this post is turning more into a bitch session, but I am really getting a lot of anxiety as I don't deal well with conflict particularly when I am one of only 4 full-time and 1 part-time clinicians. It is so easy to be singled out here and vulnerable to further scrutiny. I know I need to confront her but am so anxious about the fallout.

Any advice on how to approach her?
Quote Reply
Re: Work issues [Jean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make yourself a list of your primary issues before you meet with her. Devise a way to let her know your concerns and to suggest solutions. Bosses don't want complainers without solutions. Remain calm during the conversation. Remember that she is stressed and may take things the wrong way and that that is her issue--not yours.
Quote Reply
Re: Work issues [Jean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good idea to come with a few possible options when I have a problem.

The only reason I am "critiquing" the way decisions are made is because they seem to be made and put in place without telling us or talking to us about changes to the policies. I'm not saying I'm qualified to make decisions in the larger scope, because I do understand that there are so many factors to consider. I want to be able to understand the reasons the decisions are made and how it impacts what I need to be doing with my clients, paperwork, etc. I have been in my current job for a year and a half and have worked in the mental health field for about 4 years.

I did work with her prior to her promotion and the way that she interacts with me is different which could be so for a number of reasons, who knows. She led a conversation with a few other staff members about how getting a master's degree doesn't matter, and it's those types of things that are making me anxious to speak up. I just don't want to make my relationship with my boss worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Work issues [spacebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, a bit similar to my situation.

Re: #1, there's not a lot you can do there, so focus on what you can control, and work on influencing where/what you can't. It's tough to let go, and some folks will interpret it as not caring, but you only have so much energy and emotion to spend at work on a daily/ongoing basis, please spend it where it can make the biggest difference, not push the same pile of shit day in day out.

Re: #2: It's tough dealing with a new manager - some get it some don't. Professional development isn't always external training. My boss does ZERO mentoring of me. And I've just given up trying to get anything useful from him. I simply operate my team to the best of my abilities, always striving for my goals and objectives, and if he takes issue with a decision I have made, he'll tell me. It's quite unhealthy actually, I think we've had one 5min face to face convo in the last 6 weeks. But see #1 above, I can't control him all I can do is control my decisions and how I react/cope emotionally at work (i.e.: what to get pissed about, what to spend my energy on, etc.). Your new boss is inexperienced and likely stressed to the hilt. Leave her be for a bit, but tell her what you're doing, and be clear about what you want from her. Maybe look for something specific and discrete i.e.: tangible.

Also: try to put yourself in her shoes for a bit. When I started in my current role, the level of dysfunction in the department was very high, in the company as a whole was also high. I had too much to do, too much to learn, and too many people to manage. I was so stressed out I ended up in the hospital at one point. I remember coming home and crying to P almost every night about what a disaster it was, what a bad decision it was, how much of a failure I was... I'd been managing people for 15+ years, and had never dealt with this level of crap. I know I wasn't particularly available or helpful to a lot of my staff. And I recall shouting at at least one engineer to get the f*ck off my shop floor. Oh and there was the time I fired a tech for calling me a c*nt. And the other time a mechanic showed up to work stoned and I had to discipline him... awesomeness... ;-) Those are the events that made me realize that being a good manager is being enough of a babysitter long enough to also lead your staff into self-sufficiency. Teach a man to fish, right? Some people will never learn to fish for themselves; some just need to see it done once.

I think you should write down your specific thoughts that you want to convey to her. It will help to focus your thoughts into what's really on your mind.

Good luck,
AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply