Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Womens input wanted - valentines dinner
Quote | Reply
Designing the menu for this year's VD dinner for my wife (actually will be Sunday since she is off on a fiber day with her friends tomorrow - Kittycat would understand). She never knows what the menu would be so looking for feedback.

Cocktails - Chocolate Martini - Only cocktail she drinks so this is pretty much a given

Appetizer - smoked salmon cheesecake
Soup - Shrimp and garlic with mushroom caps and Pernod

Wine - prosecco

Main course

Poached Cornish game hen with tarragon
Portabello mushroom caps with Tuscan bean salad

Wine - torn here between a good white bordeaux or Pinot Grigio - leaning towards the Bordeaux

Dessert

Fresh cherries with late harvest Vidal Zabaglione

Coffee/Tea

I think I have a good balance, though the opening is a little fish heavy, but I haven 't come up with something for the apetizer that really appeals within the genres. all recipes are actaully low fat/low sodium etc, so thought it sounds heavy it really isn't.

I have tomorrow to revise before shopping, so any input would be appreciated

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Womens input wanted - valentines dinner [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You lost me at chocolate. I can't even understand why there'd be anything else :)

Quote | Reply
Def Bordeaux!! Sounds fab. Can I come over? Lucky woman.
Quote Reply
Re: Womens input wanted - valentines dinner [D!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anything else?? Because like any great romance venture - it is a long, slow progression, each step dependent and building on the prior, heading towards an ultimate cumulative experience.

Eeeesh - you really need to raise your standards (kidding - I have no idea what they are).

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Womens input wanted - valentines dinner [gunnergirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not for this dinner, but if you are in VA in August I will be hosting a birthday party for her and doing the cooking and wine - that is a wide open event.

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not big on the Valentine's day in general. Take me to a hockey game or just sit on the couch and watch a movie and I'm more than satisfied.

Uh... I'm easy and, thus, not helpful. :)

Quote | Reply
Canadian - I knew it!!! (ex -pat here)

Don't talk to me about hockey - - Carolina is the closest team to me that is any good and I cannot event get scores on a regular basis. Heathens down here !!

So do the Canucks have a prayer? I still follow Detroit since I grew up across the river from them, and they are solid as usual.

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Show off! ;-)

It appears as though you truly don't need any help.... I"m planning a semi-fab dinner for my beau as it is not only Valentine's day but his birthday as well. I won't publish my menu as it pales in comparison to yours...

We will start with Champagne cocktails or Kir Royales, have a nice red in the middle with steak topped with msuhroon ragout and end with and amazing ice Syrah. I'm looking forward to it!

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garlic is a bad idea IMO. The breath aftermath is pretty horrible. Also, is she a big mushroom fan? If not, having them in two dishes might overdo it.

How heavy is the appetizer of the salmon cakes? Heavy appetizer can take the fun out of the main course unless you serve it well before the meal starts.

Big wine fans? Can't help you there but don't make it more complex than it needs to be. She won't want you hopping up and down and rushing around getting the food ready instead of sitting across the table, starting into her eyes.

You really need chocolate in the dessert. It is an aphrodisiac and traditional to the holiday.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check this out... when I was in Kona, there was a Canucks game broadcast and I watched it there. Insane, right? Of course, I turn it on and we proceed to get clobbered so I ended up turning it off lol. I don't even know what to say about the Nucks, but I am a TRUE fan: love em when they're winning, and curse them when they are losing :)

Detroit, EH? Well, now I think your dinner is absolute garbage and you're just asking for a split up! :P haha

Quote | Reply
Thanks - good input

Mushrooms - yes - but I get your point - I was looking for an alternate to a leafy salad, so maybe will look a bit - good point - I hadn't thought of that.

Garlic - that is not a real problem - best shared and we are both fans.

Salmon is a chessecake - not a cake - so actually the recipe is pretty light - well frothed - not heavy.

Will look at chocolate for dessert - but it is difficult she likes lighter desserts and most chocolate is heavy - maybe a mousee would be more approriate.

Thanks for the ideas.

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Womens input wanted - valentines dinner [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK talk to me about an ice syrah - sounds wonderful. Maybe not this night but I love the idea

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can symapthize - I an SUPPOSED to be a leafs fan being Canadian and all, and I did actually watch Keon and the 67 Leafs win the cup - but man - it has been a loooooong dry spell since then.

Yeah well - I am in the upper AG.

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LEAFS SUCK!
That is all.

Quote | Reply
Shave a high quality dark chocolate over the cherries. Just a few nice curls. Adds just a bit of flavor without the heaviness.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Womens input wanted - valentines dinner [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well all this talk about chocolate has sent me into a frenzy. Gonna have to stop at Purdy's on the way home. YUM!

Quote | Reply
Similar to JenHS's idea, grab some very high quality chocolate bars are varying cocoa levels, break them up and put them on the plate so that you can munch on cherries and small pieces of chocolate as well. Sorta fun to test-taste the various different levels. You can also get chocolates from different regions (more easily identified in stores like Whole Foods) so that you can taste the differences in the chocolates not unlike wine. Make it more romantic by closing your eyes while tasting the chocolate to help the flavors fully develop in your mouth. Lastly, if you can find it, add some candied orange zest to the plate. Not only is candied orange zest a great palate cleanser without being overly sweet, it - like cherries - is a wonderful compliment to chocolate.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: Womens input wanted - valentines dinner [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OoOoooo....that's a good idea too. I am a chocolate snob and the flavors are pretty varied between regions. I've always wanted to do a tasting party.

Jen

Quote Reply
Re: Womens input wanted - valentines dinner [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I"m planning a semi-fab dinner for my beau as it is not only Valentine's day but his birthday as well. I won't publish my menu as it pales in comparison to yours...

You do realize that all you need to do is show up naked, right?

If you had pizza and beer that would be great too, but that part isn't necessary...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Womens input wanted - valentines dinner [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL on the chocolate. I wonder if a chocolate martini I would like - chocolate is one of the few flavors I can tolerate.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take me to a hockey game

I got hockey tickets for Christmas! I'm not crazy about Valentine's Day either. I got him a subscription to Beer Advocate Magazine. I was trying to find Blackheart IPA, because the irony cracks me up and it's got some really good reviews. He's a big IPA fan. Alas, none available here in NorCal. He is takig me to my race today where he will likely stand in the rain to cheer for me for 45 minutes. I was going to make him a fancy dinner, but when I asked if there was anything in particular he wanted, he responded that he would cook dinner. Then he got insulted when I laughed. So I have to make up for that. I can't imagine what he is making, but he told me he will need at least an hour (prep time) in the kitchen and I'm not allowed in there.

PS: Sharks!!!

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year, just for kicks and a killer discount, I was working some weekends at a winery tasting room; Alexandria Nicole Cellars, in Prosser WA. They have fab red wines and also produced an ice syrah. It's SO good. A sweet dessert wine, but not cloyingly so like some dessert wines can be. It has a beautiful blush color and pairs nicely with fruity desserts. It sold out at the winery and I'm not sure what the distribution was....
Quote Reply