Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Womens Camp 2021
Quote | Reply
Okay so I was tagged in the 10-days-of-photos-to-make-triathlon-grow facebook thing going on lately. I admit, I do not think posting tri pix for my friends on fb, who mostly already are athletes of some sort, is a useful way to "help triathlon grow," and I because I am a USAT Foundation Ambassador charged with collecting $ so that triathlon CAN grow, I've been posting collages along with the donation link.

Anyway, that is all background to the fact that today I posted a collage from Womens Camp 2012-2018 and pretty much everyone who is responding is saying we all want to go back in 2021. Since our last camp, there's this whole "new" group of HappyHour attendees who should put it on their calendars, because we are fun and camp is awesome. April 2021, Xantusia-bound!

[and if anyone has a few extra $ to give to USATriathlon, tax-deductible and goes to kids' programs and Olympic/Paralympic athletes' dreams, I will love you forever and will send you the link!]
Quote Reply
Re: Womens Camp 2021 [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We talked about just this thing last Thursday!

I hope there is enough health and peace in the world to do this next year. I know I'll be heading out there if it is!

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Womens Camp 2021 [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Count me in as well!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty new here, so I don't actually know what Women's Camp is. Could you give a brief overview?
Quote Reply
Re: Womens Camp 2021 [hyfall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope to join again in 2021!

Here is my take on Womens Camp as a past participant. The Womens of ST take over the Xantusia compound for fun, training and margaritas. Typically held in early April from a Wednesday to Monday but its up to you to how long you stay. We stay at Chez Monty and he is a terrific host. Depending on numbers, rooms are usually shared with another athlete and meals are included. Monty prepares amazing dinners for us each night and has lots of options for breakfast and lunch. Workouts are not coached and not structured. You decide what you want to do and how much. I have gone and logged serious miles both on the bike and run and have other camps where I just played and enjoyed relaxing in the high desert. The location offers lots of opportunities for hilly and flat roads as well as plenty of trails so you can bike and run as much as you want. To swim, we travel into Palmdale for use of their amazing outdoor facility. We have annual traditions like the margarita mile and monty trivia. Its a great time to get to know your fellow ST womens as well as log some early season miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Womens Camp 2021 [hyfall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clm is usually the camp leader, but i can add to what instigator said.

Slowman Dan owns a ranch, and Monty owns the property next door. Together they host camps and clinics, with people staying at Monty’s. The womens camp is typically 5 days in April. Usually Mrs Monty and the kiddos are there too. There are a lot of dogs, some horses, and a lot of joshua trees.

How much we train, and how much we drink, depends on each person’s athletic and personal goals, plus the weather, which varies a lot in the high desert in April. Pretty much every year we ride over the fault line — hey Monty, did they ever replace the sign? — and run or walk the trail at the Punchbowl. Sometimes swim, sometimes we do bike fit stuff or try out saddles. If you don’t want to bring a bike, Dan or another womens usually has your size.

Mostly it’s a same-time-next-year celebration with awesome friends, and new people become friends immediately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh I'd be super into this. I'm not sure about my schedule, however. The next year or two are busy ones for me professionally. I'll have to wait and see. BUT, I'm sending lots of good juju for this to happen!!!

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Womens Camp 2021 [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, according to my "On This Day" photos, the historical date has been around Tax Day, so get your filing done early, so that you can enjoy a long bike ride around April 15.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every year I keep saying I'll be back, and every year, crummy finances get in the way. Well THIS time I am setting up a new bank account so that crummy finances is no longer an excuse.

Besides, I have never felt so utterly alive as when I drove the 405 from LAX in a Yaris, I should probably repeat the experience again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope 2021 is a good year for me to be back.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Womens Camp 2021 [Furiosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Furiosa wrote:
Every year I keep saying I'll be back, and every year, crummy finances get in the way. Well THIS time I am setting up a new bank account so that crummy finances is no longer an excuse.

Besides, I have never felt so utterly alive as when I drove the 405 from LAX in a Yaris, I should probably repeat the experience again!

I'm feeling, uh, enlivened, just reading about that drive.
Maybe put a little more $$ into that special account to upgrade the car.
Or rent thru costco.com.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Womens Camp 2021 [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STConcierge wrote:
Furiosa wrote:

I'm feeling, uh, enlivened, just reading about that drive.
Maybe put a little more $$ into that special account to upgrade the car.
Or rent thru costco.com.

Oh believe me, I used up about 5 of my 9 lives on that drive - a bigger vehicle is mandatory next time!
Quote Reply