Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Women who have breasfed/had babies - help!
Quote | Reply
OK, this might be kind of a weird question, but.

For those women who have had babies and/or breastfed - what do you do about leaking milk during non-feeding times? Obviously you don't want wet spots on your shirt. Are nursing bras designed with extra thickness to absorb any leakage? What do you do?

Thanks!
(It's a side effect of the medication I'm on, and I've already swelled up in size, and other things that I won't go into I basically look like I have preggers breasts....starting to lactate is next, and I hope I don't go there, but in case I do, help!!! I have no idea what I'm supposed to do! In the meantime my poor breasts are killing me and I'm going to have to double up on sports bras as the slightest bounce makes me want to scream)
Quote Reply
Re: Women who have breasfed/had babies - help! [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a woman, but...

They have little pads that you can insert into your bra to absorb any leakage.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nursing bras don't have anything special in them to help with leakage, but there are nursing pads for this very purpose! You can find them in the baby section of Target. I can't remember which brand I liked best (my kids are 9 & 6, so it's been a while since I've needed them), but they work very, very well. I leaked like a fountain and never had any issues as long as I remembered to put my pads in. They are very thin, so you don't have to worry about show-through. Good luck - hopefully you won't have to deal with this at all!
Quote Reply
Re: Women who have breasfed/had babies - help! [Med Tent Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! Hopefully they don't leave any outline. I guess I could get them at baby stores if it ends up happening, which please please please it won't.

(The only friend I have who has spawned uses formula, so....now that I ask the totally dumb weirdo questions. Sigh)

Edit: Thank you too Mspina! I was wondering about sticking my own padding down there but I really don't want weird lumps that make me look like I'm in Grade 6 and stuffing my bra, or other outlines showing.
Last edited by: Teags: Aug 17, 09 13:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They will leave an outline, put if you have a padded bra, that will help minimize the "outline" effect. Any drugstore will have them.

Sorry but dem's the brakes. Hope it all works out for you...

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Women who have breasfed/had babies - help! [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eh, if it happens, it happens, but I would prefer to be prepared as the thought of uncaught leakage is mortifying to me.

No padded bras as I've never really needed one but I will look into them too. Thanks.

Here's hoping the great 2-bra experiment works tonight! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The absolutely best product out there is called milk diapers - washable breast feeding pads - unlike the disposablees they breathe so you don't end up with yeast infections....

I used to double and triple them when I was on call and could not get to pump on time.

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work with 98% men, so a padded bra is key - I don't need comments like "cold in here?" or "who turned the highbeams on?" in meetings... ;-)

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Women who have breasfed/had babies - help! [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh dear.... ;) There are times I do need to put on my sweater, I'll admit!

Tritoy, I will look for those. Reusable sounds good, if I do need them.

The run tonight doubled up was good, but I was also going with an injured friend - and I thought I ran slow! :)
Last edited by: Teags: Aug 17, 09 18:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's also not a bad idea to wear patterned tops as opposed to solids. Camo, just in case.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: Women who have breasfed/had babies - help! [TriToy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto on the cotton washable pads. I used the disposables once-they don't absorb as much, they make crinkling sounds because of the plastic backing, and are less eco-friendly. The washables are much more comfortable too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The little absorbant disposable pads you can buy worked great for me.

Quote Reply
Re: Women who have breasfed/had babies - help! [iggythecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys!

So far, so good, so we'll see. I like the idea of patterned tops as camo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My kids are now 25 and 21. Ditto on the pads, back in the day all they had were disposable ones. I also kept a jacket handy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It makes me sad that our society has shown no progress on breastfeeding. I remember my wife and I having the same conversation 30 years ago.

To be deprived of the many special benefits, physcally and mentally, for you and the babe would be most unfortunate.

I hope you can get things worked out to your comfort level.

Jay
Quote Reply
Re: Women who have breasfed/had babies - help! [JBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, I'm not pregnant, nor do I have a child. I may start lactating due to medication I'm on raising the levels of prolactin in my body - I'm already experiencing signs the levels have raised, so I want to be prepared is if I start to lactate.

But it's not a matter of me not breastfeeding - I don't have anything to breastfed. Never been pregnant even.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The assumption factor strikes again... :)

Our bodies betray us and it only gets worse as we get older. Good luck on working this out.

Jay
Quote Reply
Re: Women who have breasfed/had babies - help! [JBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used these while nursing:

http://www.lilypadz.com/

They were especially great for use underneath workout/swimming clothing, but I really wore them the majority of the time. I also used disposable nursing pads, the ones by Avent - contrary to a lot of others here, I found the reusable cloth ones weren't that absorbent at all and as concerned as I am about the environment, I wasn't crazy about having wet spots on my clothing, especially at work!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you do start to lactate, and no baby to take the milk, you may have to get a breast pump to remove some of the milk. I cannot imagine the pressure in your breasts without a baby taking it from you!

Yes to the pads, yes to printed tops, and also consider looser tops for now so that outlines are not an issue.

Cooler weather is coming, so that will make it easier.

Best wishes with your challenging problem!
Quote Reply
Re: Women who have breasfed/had babies - help! [Cassie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pumping will just make it worse - more milk.

most drug side effects don't produce much milk if you do lactate. but if you pump, well that is the whole supply and demand thing
Quote Reply