Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Women of the Olympics
Quote | Reply
There are some serious badass women at the Olympics this year. The US women are doing us American's proud.

If the Team USA women were a country, they'd be 3rd in the total medal count. The US women's soccer games were amazing. For the first time there are more women athletes then men. For the first time in the history of the games all countries have women athletes.

It has been an amazing games to watch.

I'm a big fan of Jessica Ennis. Kicked some butt in heptathlon and is very humble.
Missy Franklin is an incredible swimmer and frikking adorable. A total nerd. I love her.

Any particular women you all admire?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Women of the Olympics [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of them are fantastic no matter circumstances, country, sport or time. I especially enjoy seeing them go harder than the men in soccer, track and field and volleyball.

Quote | Reply
The track sprinters (400 on down). Fast, ripped, cocky.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Women of the Olympics [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too. They don't lay down during those soccer games, do they? They play obviously injured. I saw some harsh hits and they just popped right back up and kept going.

That 4 x 400 was amazing.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't argue with soccer. A top British sports journalist called the USA vs Canada game the best soccer game in thirty years. Love the fact that the women don't take dives.

Have to wonder about Lolo Jones however. She finishes fourth and is the first to be interviewed. What's with that? I hope its not just because she admitted still being a virgin!
Quote Reply
Re: Women of the Olympics [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet a lot more people watched that race because of her. She is a pretty good ambassador for the sport. People love her. She's good looking, talented and a very smart self promoter.

But it really is a shame about that coverage. They did have the gold and silver medalist on talking with Costos and they expressed their frustration too.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Women of the Olympics [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very good article. They are right to an extent. I think women athletes can be caught in a knot. Once the attention starts I imagine it is easy to get sucked into it. Especially if the recognition for your looks is new.

I can't imagine the pressure. Once sponsors decide to use your looks as part of their campaigns I imagine it is harder to walk away.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
Very good article. They are right to an extent. I think women athletes can be caught in a knot. Once the attention starts I imagine it is easy to get sucked into it. Especially if the recognition for your looks is new.

I can't imagine the pressure. Once sponsors decide to use your looks as part of their campaigns I imagine it is harder to walk away.
I completely agree and have always had the same feelings as written in the article. Lolo Jones is a very beautiful woman and as strongly as I am for those who bank on "Gods creation" I wonder where does it stop? I have heard and read about her sad upbringing but she is not the only one who has or is struggling. Find a butt ugly kick ass athlete who has endured the same, if not worse life situation then count how many commercials, magazine covers, television shows, etc she will be on. Sanya Richards-Ross is another who I find so damn beautiful she makes me gag. She is very fast but not the only fast woman in the world and knows money talks big, bigger than the sport, so she is out there selling herself first. All of it makes no sense because women spend more on products then do men yet, we are still paid less.

Quote | Reply
"Gotta see Harper's point!"

Harper has a point, Jones in a sense has been "prostituting" herself out. Her track career is likely now over and she won't be back in 2016 so she's milking it for what she can get. But even so, I did feel it was odd that the medalists were ignored by the media in favour of somebody who finished fourth. That's why I mentioned it and was curious how the womens feel about how this reflects on female Olympians.
Quote Reply
Re: Women of the Olympics [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that the match between Canada and the US was an amazing game, but if the ref wasn't playing for the US, Canada would have won.

Quote Reply
Re: Women of the Olympics [swiftfox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"if the ref wasn't playing for the US, Canada would have won."

I wouldn't say she was "playing for the US", but she did make a couple of bad calls that ruled in the US favor. But who knows what the out come might have been? I just can't wait to see the next rematch. I much prefer women's soccer and hockey - no dives or no goons, just good skilful play.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This one is badass:

She was in all the commercials in both the English and Spanish channels day and night that I ended up drinking the kool-aid and rooting for her, ha! She got bronze.
Quote Reply