Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Winter running gear
Quote | Reply
New to the running thing and haven't had to deal with any winter running. What do you guys usually run in? I am looking at the UA full length compression tights that are the winter warms but wonder if they are good as I am hoping. I have a few long sleeved workout tops, a running jacket... It doesn't get "too cold" where I am (snows every now and then) but know my shorts just won't cut it. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Winter running gear [genkigirl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I'm in Vancouver, so it doesn't get that cold (just wet ha!), but start with capris/knicker tights, a couple good long sleeve base layer tops, a vest. (I hate cold knees.) As it gets colder, you can add a tank-top under or over the base layer, gloves, toque. I find if I am doing a long run, I'll wear wool-blend socks (woolieboolies from aerator are awesome) as wool will stay warm when wet. I have a couple jackets but I find that anything that will keep me dry in the rain also keeps a lot of my sweat moisture inside the jacket. I'd rather be wet but cool than dry and overly warm. It has to get pretty cold (below zero C) for me to pull the tights out. Sugoi makes a nice thermal tight, a bit thicker than just lycra, good when the wind is a factor. That's when the jackets are handy - windy, dry, cold.

Where are you geographically? If you have an REI or MEC nearby, they have lots of running capris. MEC's house brand ones are nice. I like the New Balance ones a lot too.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Winter running gear [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh Andy I wish I had an MEC near me!! I am in Japan (Nagoya) where the prices are crazy for decent stuff. Heading back to NS/Ont for Xmas so figured I would stock up on things while there but people are asking about Xmas presents and whatnot already and figured some decent running gear would be nice! Ony gets sub zero here a few times but the wind.... even now the wind is picking up!!

Thanks for your suggestions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For tights, I love my asics thermopolis tights.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I double up on the buns/thighs with compression shorts under capris or tights. My amply padded ass always freezes unless I double up.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter running gear [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And to think I expect this to be the warmest part of my body due to the amount of padding there... Good to know! Thanks!

Will look into asics!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Not to cold" winter running gear:

1. Cheap stretchy knit gloves - so if you lose one, not the end of the world. That way if you get too warm, you can stuff them (a little ways!) down the waistline of your tights.
2. Warmer running socks, not the thin, thin ones.
3. Agree on the compression shorts underneath your capris/tights..... don't let the bum get cold!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the shipping costs like? It may be worth it... ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Winter running gear [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shipping from MEC? Freaken expensive! Canada post is charging rates that usually means whatever is being sent costs twice as much! I can wait until Dec (will buy something here) and then go crazy with MEC!

Thanks for the bum advice! Honestly thought it would be warm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like buying stuff from probikekit. It's free shipping to Canada... unbelievable. I bought some men's windproof/water resistant bib tights for $20 in a tiny size that men couldn't wear.

I learned something from this thread... always thought the cold bum was something I just had to tolerate, but then I usually don't run for longer than an hour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I have been a winter runner for about 10 years now...
I have learned the hard way to layer clothing. I would always rather take off a layer especially in early winter than to not have enough clothing on a long run.
I usually run in compression tights, wool socks, yax trax (to gain traction on the trails in ice, snow, you name it), head sweat cap that breathes, several layers of upper body breathable material, and lobster style gloves designed for cycling..they seemed to be much more functional.

Typical winters where I live range from 40-0.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, keep in mind that everyone's tolerance is different. Although I am a freeze baby in "real life", when I run, I am a sweaty hosebeast. :p So, for example, at 0 degrees, where one person might have on two pairs of tights, a compression shirt, long sleeve, fleece, and jacket, mittens, balaclav, hat, and two pairs of fat socks...someone else might have a light stocking cap, shimmel, liner/knit gloves, long sleeve, jacket, and a single pair of tights.

And not all 0 degree days are built alike :-)

It really is a lot of guesswork, trial and error, and practice.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a serious addiction to Craft. I figure if the Swede's can't make good workout gear for cold weather, we, as in the human population, is screwed. And their stuff lasts forever and well, every World Cup XC skier in the world wears it, so it can't suck.

You can find ALOT of their stuff on Sierra Trading Post on sale. If you order from STP, friend them on FB or sign up for the deal flyer for extra discounts. I hope they ship to Canuckistan.

Sue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My best piece of winter running clothes is a vest made by Brooks ("essential run vest-nightlife"). It's just enough to block the wind from my core, and has vents and pockets (good for stuffing gloves, hats in once I warm up).

I run "hot" and found that just doubling up shorts over thin tights, and the vest over a long sleeve tech shirt, kept me good to go down to the low teens (F).

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply