Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why am I gaining (and not losing!) weight?
Quote | Reply
I don't get it. Right now, I am 5'9" and 146 pounds. My "happy place" is 139-140 - that is where I feel good about myself and don't have the extra "gut" on the front and the little love handles in the back. I put on 7 pounds over Christmas and CANNOT get it off. It's driving me insane.

I currently am running 4 days a week and doing Spinervals 2 days a week during the "off" season. I am eating healthy, not eating after 6:30pm, not snacking on junk (more like grapefruit, oranges, etc).

My typical daily food looks like this:

Breakfast: banana, greek yogurt, BIG bowl of oatmeal (about 350 calories worth)
Morning Snack: orange/grapefruit/handful of pretzels/nuts
Lunch: salad with large chicken breast; boca burger on a whole wheat bun with side salad; peice of fruit
Afternoon Snack: similar to morning snack
Dinner: sensible - whatever we are making that night - not a ton of pasta, last night we had steak with a side salad

I would say my average calories are about 1300-1500 per day. I know what everyone is going to say - that's not enough. But I SWEAR, if I eat more than that, I just pack on the pounds. It's SO frustrating and I'm tired of feeling "big".

Anyone have any tips? I really want to get off these last 7-8 pounds! HELP!
Quote Reply
Re: Why am I gaining (and not losing!) weight? [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can only tell you what works for me :)

It looks like you're eating very clean. I would say, if anything, that's too few calories. I never count calories because it backfires for me, but I rarely eat less than 1800Kcals. Lol, a "big" bowl of oatmeal to you, means a different thing to me. A "big" bowl to me could easily be 600Kcals :) Any alcohol? Those can be sneaky Kcals.

How long are you running? Saying you run 4x/week doesn't give me enough info. Are you running for at least an hour? Slow and steady, or do you do some interval work? I see the biggest weight loss results when I am doing runs that are over an hour with some regular component of added intensity--tempo, speedwork, intervals.

Do you lift or do any resistance training? This also helps me trim down pretty fast. I always do my weights as a circuit, no rest between sets, but I do use different muscle groups. I work in pushes, pulls, and core work at this time as well. How hard am I working? When I wear my Garmin, I'm between zone 3 and 4 the entire time, with peaks in zone 5 during the pushes, pulls, and some of the plyo leg work.

I find that it is both the volume and intensity that helps me drop weight. One or the other is good, but by increasing both, I drop weight every time.

Good luck:)

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How's your sleep right now?

Stress?

Hard to lose weight with too much cortisol pumping around the body.

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, if you're eating that little and you feel stuck, your body has probably gone into one of those modes where it has learned to deal with too few calories and like shut down. I forget, there's a fancy name for that. I think, when people have that issue, they experience some benefit by forgetting about calories and doing a Paleo or a gluten-free or both diet - because it just mixes it up (and is healthy-ish sure) and gives your body something new to deal with.

I think.

kelly dunleavy o'mara
@kellydomara
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may be eating more than you think you are in terms of total calories. How are you calculating your calories?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Double check the calories on the oatmeal (any milk on it?), the nuts, the burger bun and on your dinners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No way your average calories are 1300-1500 a day. Just take the list you've given above, measure (yes measure) accurately how much of each, and look it up.

Don't need to count calories all the time, but doing this once in a while can be a real eye opener.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Last edited by: Tri3: Jan 26, 13 6:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you adding muscle with your workouts? Remember that muscle is heavier than fat. So if you gain a bit muscle and lose a bit of fat you'll also gain a bit of weight.

My advice - throw away the weight scale. Its irrelevant. If you are satisfied with how you look in front of the mirror, then be happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks low on fat and maybe a little high in CHO. Can you swap some of the fruit for veggies (say, celery), or eat more fat? Our bodies really need fat.

as a sidenote, where is your calcium?!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Jan 26, 13 16:56
Quote Reply
Re: Why am I gaining (and not losing!) weight? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree, your breakfast alone is probably around 700, cal. You didn' include what you put on your oatmeal, your salad, the bun for your burger, or if either your chicken and steak were naked or marinated. Also, what are you drinking all day?

Kat Donatello
2015 Betty Designs Team
RD, The Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival
http://www.pumpkinmantriathlon.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Why am I gaining (and not losing!) weight? [giddy-up-n-go] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X3. Myfitnessday.com and a scale/measuring cups etc. help. I have this same issue where I always think I am eating less calories than I really am. I will log everything for a week or so on myfitnessday just to recalibrate myself.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the 'my fitness pal' app on my smartphone. It's been really helpful... and eye opening!
It's pretty easy to use, and if you cook you can easily create recipes where it calculates the nutritional info per serving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the posters who say you are getting more calories than you think you are. Spend a week logging everything you eat and you will get a better idea of how many calories you are consuming. Measure everything and log everything. You would be surprised how the little things add up, the dressing on your salad, the olive oil you used to cook with, the half and half in your coffee. I would say that sample day you posted was quite a bit more than 1500 calories.
Quote Reply
Re: Why am I gaining (and not losing!) weight? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Remember that muscle is heavier than fat

Muscle is not heavier than fat. It is, however, more dense ;-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Why am I gaining (and not losing!) weight? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
No way your average calories are 1300-1500 a day. Just take the list you've given above, measure (yes measure) accurately how much of each, and look it up.

Don't need to count calories all the time, but doing this once in a while can be a real eye opener.

+1

the body needs about 1500 cal just to function (heart pumping blood, lungs breathing, all chemical reactions in digestion, etc) even if you weren't training

==================
Ditch the carbage - Go keto!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uptown423 wrote:

My typical daily food looks like this:

Breakfast: banana, greek yogurt, BIG bowl of oatmeal (about 350 calories worth)
Morning Snack: orange/grapefruit/handful of pretzels/nuts
Lunch: salad with large chicken breast; boca burger on a whole wheat bun with side salad; peice of fruit
Afternoon Snack: similar to morning snack
Dinner: sensible - whatever we are making that night - not a ton of pasta, last night we had steak with a side salad

I would say my average calories are about 1300-1500 per day.

Because I'm bored. I'm assuming you eat EITHER the chicken breast or Bocca burger at lunch; not both.

Banana: 105 calories
Greek yogurt (6oz plain): 100 calories
Oatmeal: 350 calories (your calculation)
Orange: 70 calories
1/4c almonds (handful of nuts): 140 calories
Boca burger: 90 calories
Whole wheat bun: 150 calories
Side salad - forget the veggies - balsamic vin dressing 2Tbsp: 100 calories
Fruit - apple?: 65 calories
Orange: 70 calories
1/4c almonds: 140 calories
Sirloin: 200 calories
Salad, forget veggies again, dressing: 100 calories
Total: 1680

So, a little bit off (esp if you were thinking it was 1300) but not thousands of calories off.

But that is not counting any of your salad ingredients but the dressing (my veggies usually total at least 100cal, more if I add beans or seeds), and assuming your dressing is not creamy like ranch. And assuming there were no sauces or condiments for your bocca burger or steak, and your oatmeal was made with water and no sweetener.
Last edited by: lisac957: Feb 1, 13 14:22
Quote Reply
Re: Why am I gaining (and not losing!) weight? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tend to agree...I would cut some of the fruit, add more veggies, try a frozen berry, brown rice protein (or other of choice), spinach, chia seed or other fat added, smoothie in the morning. Have you tried cutting all gluten (and oats)? A new study came out (I have not read it) that suggested Dr. Davis' book called Wheat Belly very well may have some merit. http://www.hungryforchange.tv/...to-cause-weight-gain
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trying tracking your food/calories on a website like myfitnesspal or something similar. I used to do that and now feel I have a better grasp on where my calories come from. It tells you what percentage is fat/ protein/carbs. It may help.
Quote Reply